Afreeeca!!

Magnum Sherpa

Here are some of the animals I hunted during my trip to South Africa in June. It was my first time hunting outside of the United States and it’s much different than hunting here, both in terms of methods and opportunities. We hunted exclusively on private land, which is the majority of hunting in South Africa. The thing I found most amusing was when my professional hunter would apologize if the hunting was slow on a given day. I told him it was ok, and that there are times in Montana when I hunt a week and might not get a single opportunity.

Attachments

• IMG_1955.jpeg
    IMG_1955.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2046.jpeg
    IMG_2046.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2118.jpeg
    IMG_2118.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2204.jpeg
    IMG_2204.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2441.jpeg
    IMG_2441.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2698.jpeg
    IMG_2698.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2861.jpeg
    IMG_2861.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2966.jpeg
    IMG_2966.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 103
Funky kudu!
Looks like you took full advantage of the opportunity

Congratulations
Yeah, it was definitely atypical, which is apparently pretty rare with kudu. It didn’t have any sign of a previous injury, so I’m not sure what caused it. The kudu was my favorite animal to hunt and the most challenging. It reminded me a lot of hunting elk.

Looks like quite the trip and adventure! Africa is on my short list of places to hunt in the near future. Threads like this just add fuel to the fire to experience Africa.
It was so much fun. Everyone who had gone to Africa told me that when you go once, you will want to go back. I can say that statement is definitely true.

Congratulations. Cocaine is less addictive than hunting Africa. I recommend visiting and hunting Africa at least once to all of my acquaintances. The Dark Continent is special. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Congratulations. Cocaine is less addictive than hunting Africa. I recommend visiting and hunting Africa at least once to all of my acquaintances. The Dark Continent is special. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.
Thank you and I totally agree. After this first trip I realized there are more animals in Africa that I “need,” which I hardly knew existed before I went.

Did you feel adequately gunned with that 30-06? I was thinking of going with a '06 for our Africa hunt but everyone says how tough all the animals are....and also, the whole "if you hit it... you bought it" mindset had me considering something bigger.

Did you feel adequately gunned with that 30-06? I was thinking of going with a '06 for our Africa hunt but everyone says how tough all the animals are....and also, the whole "if you hit it... you bought it" mindset had me considering something bigger.
A .30-06 should be fine. I shot some of my game there with a .358 Win with fairly hot handloads and 225 gr Partitions. The PH has a Ruger .30-06 that is his loaner gun for plains game. Plus, the trackers are so good that unless you marginally wounded it, they will find it.

Good to know. Thanks for the in to be fo. Did you find the loaner rifles to be a good quality and reliable?

Good to know. Thanks for the in to be fo. Did you find the loaner rifles to be a good quality and reliable?
To clarify, I hunted through JJHack - his was a stainless Ruger 77 .30-06 with a Leupold scope. My PH had a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .375, also with a Leupold scope, that was his loaner rifle, but he was mainly a Big 5 PH. So in my limited experience, the loaner guns were great.

I hunted the East Cape in August. My fourth trip. I only shot four animals, all of which I already had several trophies: impala (4th), springbuck (5th), gemsbuck (3rd), and blue wildebeest (2nd). I spent several days trying to cull a designated cow buffalo (would have been my third buff) to no avail. Very difficult terrain and wary animals. The impala from this trip was exceptional and the springbuck ram was quite a surprise. That was also a culling situation but that guy turned out to be very nice! Gemsbuck bull was much better than the bull I shot last year. That was also a difficult hunt. Took two days and a running shot to get him. Wildebeest was a blooper. PH called the wrong animal. Tried for my fourth kudu and another waterbuck but no luck. Never even saw a bull waterbuck. The last day hunting kudu we saw 27 kudu in the span of a little more than an hour. A few "maybe" shooters but I didn't need another one that badly. Beautiful country this year with lots of moisture for a change. Wildflowers were spectacular.
20230813_173608.jpg20230813_102428.jpg20230813_170237.jpg20230818_174813.jpgView attachment 29192420230817_093115.jpg20230818_162821.jpg20230819_162731.jpg

Yes, absolutely adequately gunned, we rented rifles from them and, had we brought our own I was going to bring a .270 on their recommendation. Their number one recommendation was a 30-06.

It was plenty of gun. The shots ranged from 40 to 220 yards. 8 of 10 animals were one shot kills. The other two would have been lethal hits given time, but the animals were still on their feet so I shot again. I shot 175 grain Federal Terminal Ascents. My PH strongly recommended a bonded bullet.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back