Admit to Causing Point Creep

My Dad drew a 1 point cow tag with 7 points this year. He's getting old enough that he will not be making many more trips out West and it's a unit I want to eventually draw a bull tag so I will use his hunt as a chance to scout. Also, he's not going to pay $50/year to add more points that he will likely never use.

I put in for 2nd season deer in CO with just about a 2 point "surplus" and they added 20% more tags. I didn't draw but 19% of the folks at my point level did. I knew the unit/area was getting stupid amounts of hype so I knew the risk and now find myself in the special draw for WY antelope with a 2.5 point "surplus". I will spend the rest of my lunch break exploring my OTC options.

I looked and 4 different people applied for various cow elk tags in unit 3 with 20 points or more. Their points I guess.

The guys getting a cow elk tag with 22 points just screwed up their application right? Or do you think that is what happens when you age out of hunting and you just want a cow elk close to the road for your last hunt?

Put in for Wyoming pronghorn with 2 points more than it took to draw the unit I applied for last year in the special. I am not at all confident that I will draw the tag.
The trick will be seeing if lots of guys pushed the limit in the special like they did with some of the elk units. I bet you'll be okay though

Speaking of being part of the problem, last year I drew a 17 point unit with 8 points and a 6 point unit with 11 points. Was planning to hunt with a couple buddies that had fewer points than me so was ok burning the extra points. Unfortunately the dates of those two overlapped so I ended up returning in the 6pt tag.

The guys getting a cow elk tag with 22 points just screwed up their application right? Or do you think that is what happens when you age out of hunting and you just want a cow elk close to the road for your last hunt?
My thought exactly- someone screwed up. It's like when you see a guy burn 10+ points on an unlimited sheep hunt or a ewe tag, especially the ewe tag. Crocodile tears are spilled.

All states should just go to complete random draws and abolish points systems. That’s the most equitable solution.

All states should just go to complete random draws and abolish points systems. That’s the most equitable solution.
Actually, I think it's really nice how every state has a little different system. I can choose which state to apply based on what works for me. And you don't have to worry about me competing with you for tags in Idaho and New Mexico.

QQ

I’ll be spending a extra point or two on WY antelope this year. The unit we have in mind took an unexpectedly large jump in 2019 and we missed with 5 points and hunted a 2nd choice. Chose a 2nd choice hunt in 2020. Now we have 7 points and are kind of in the middle of nowhere so to speak in the special draw. Lots of nice units in that 5ish point range but that next tier is closer to 9 points.

We put in for the same unit again this year for 1st choice. I’m guessing post draw this year will show < 6 at 100%. We could probably even draw with 7 in the regular.

However, my Dad has health issues and we are limited to staying in hotels, and his health might not allow him to go next year. So rather than wait and hunt another second choice (if we even could draw one this year) I decided it was time to burn them and have the WY pronghorn hunt we’ve been waiting 7 years for.

Back