PEAX Equipment

Admit to Causing Point Creep

Ben Sellers

This year I put in for a Colorado deer tag with 2 more points than is usually necessary (2 points in a 0 point unit). Does anyone else want to admit to being that guy or gal that jumped in with more points than needed and if so what motivated you to do so? In my case, it was just to have a deer tag while on my OTC elk hunt. A buddy has hunted this unit multiple times and usually sees good deer but never gets a deer tag.

Your points, your call... I was talking to a friend and trying to explain to him the whole process for a deer app. He applied in a purely preference point system with less than max points which is what's needed to draw with only something like 5% odds for max points...

His points, his call.

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using more points than is necessary because:
a) points represent years of applying and money invested. There is nothing unethical to me about jumping in with much more time and money invested than everyone else.
b) if you have the enough points to go on the hunt you want, you should go on that hunt.

I’m curious as to why people do this. My personal situation is that I’m hunting a new unit (to me, not to my buddy) and so I want the tag.

The way I see it is you helped mitigate point creep, you took yourself out of line in an another area that would’ve taken more points and got a tag where anyone could draw. I guess it’s the glass half-full viewpoint. Everyone staying in the fight trying to get to the front of the line somewhere is what causes point creep in my mind.

I was guilty as well, using the same 2 points on a zero point hunt. I had no reason to hold on to them with the plan I have going forward so I used them. From here on out it's a first choice app on a zero point hunt right up till enough people are doing it that it starts to take points.

I applied in a unit in Colorado that last year was drawn with one point I applied with three points this year. With that being said 30 percent of the guys that applied with one point for that unit drew a tag 100 percent for guys with two points or more.

This year I put in for a Colorado deer tag with 2 more points than is usually necessary (2 points in a 0 point unit). Does anyone else want to admit to being that guy or gal that jumped in with more points than needed and if so what motivated you to do so? In my case, it was just to have a deer tag while on my OTC elk hunt. A buddy has hunted this unit multiple times and usually sees good deer but never gets a deer tag.
This is not what causes point creep, point creep is idiots buying bear points in hopes of drawing Oso or elk points for unit 10, your aren’t going to draw, too few tags too many people give it up. lol

the unit i tried for had a 58 pct chance w 2 deer points and i got it with 2 points,,2nd season appears to not have jumped too much or i just got lucky.

I think there’s something like 3-4000 nonresidents with over 20 elk points in colorado. Only 150 in that group draw tags each year, and not all are in the “top” units. And NR tag quotas will likely be dropping more over time. Who’s gonna blink and apply DOWN before the clock runs out on them is the name of the game in this cohort. Guess we all expect to live to 100 and still he able to pack in / pack out when we finally get there.

I call this insurance.

I am curious why you feel you need to "admit" to spending PPs you accrued and paid for? It is what it is and you are just playing by the rules set by CPW. Go enjoy yourself, as drawing tags gets harder every single year!

I guess I am supposed to admit/apologize for my extensive contributions to point creep over the last five years (and the next five years). Not going to happen. I got into the PP/BP game early, but others got in before me. I don't begrudge them one bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back