PEAX Equipment

Accuracy vs. Precision

I kinda wanna know what that is.
Okay. I went back and checked some history and it looks like I ended up watching a YouTube video by Texas Plinking that had a 1,000 yard shooting challenge series that they are starting.

The App is https://rangetime.com/

I have no affiliation to any of it, they just briefly described it in the video and it looked intriguing. They said the app was free unless you wanted to store targets or something.

Again, I haven't used the app and don't have any affiliation with it. It just sounded interesting.

As long as your front sling stud doesn’t get caught/contact anything during recoil shooting off a pack can be very solid.

I prefer a bipod as it allows me to get setup on uneven ground much easier than over a pack.
I removed the sling studs on my rifle.

the lead sled comments are odd to me, it seems if you wanted to perfectly zero a rifle you'd have a robot pulling the trigger on an immovable rifle... i don't get why having a lead sled is bad for zeroing, you want the scope to be the only variable for getting zeroed...

Recoil starts when a primer ignites powder so the barrel is moving under recoil before the bullet exits it. Thus, recoil impacts where the bullet hits. So by using lead sled, you are less likely to have a perfect zero because the rifle movement under recoil is different than when shoulder mounted.

This is why people frequently have different "zeros" or points of impact based on how they are handling or shooting a rifle in different positions. Variance can be none to significant.

Last edited:
Recoil starts the second a primer ignites powder so the barrel is moving under recoil before the bullet exits it. Thus, recoil impacts where the bullet hits. So by using lead sled, you are less likely to have a perfect zero because the rifle movement under recoil is different than when being shot by a human.

This is why people frequently have different "zeros" or points of impact based on how they are handling or shooting a rifle in different positions. Variance can be negligible to significant.

meh. people make it too complicated.

i dont' even have lead on my sled, it's just like a 15 oz thing that holds the rifle and the only reason i use it is too have as steady of a rifle as possible for zero. i'd think everybody zeroing a rifle would want to remove or minimize as many variables as possible leaving only the scope, something lead sleds seem excellent at IMO. i'd think affecting premature recoil (that's what she said) during zeroing would be irrelevant at normal hunting ranges, maybe i'm wrong tho.

either way i feel like shooting animals under 300 yards is still not rocket science. everyone is trying to make it rocket science.

the two times out of 11 i dicked up something shooting at an animal were both rushed and one was over 300 yards, most particularly they were rushed and i forgot to take things into a account, and again they were rushed. both mistakes that had nothing to do with writing a dissertation on zeroing a rifle or how to get your 10,000 hours of practice.

Point, Shoot, Eat. a soliloquy by TOGIE.

Last edited:
I've always thought shooters used lead sleds to combat recoil in the rifle not as an accuracy enhancer. Never used one so my thoughts don't count for any real world experience.

I have shot one animal with a bipod, and glad that I had it at the time, antelope buck at 280yds. Otherwise never have one on my rifle in the field mainly because I hunt timber, the shots are relatively short and there are lots of improvised rests if they are needed at all.

meh. people make it too complicated.

i dont' even have lead on my sled, it's just like a 15 oz thing that holds the rifle and the only reason i use it is too have as steady of a rifle as possible for zero. i'd think everybody zeroing a rifle would want to remove or minimize as many variables as possible leaving only the scope, something lead sleds seem excellent at IMO. i'd think affecting premature recoil (that's what she said) during zeroing would be irrelevant at normal hunting ranges, maybe i'm wrong tho.

either way i feel like shooting animals under 300 yards is still not rocket science. everyone is trying to make it rocket science.

the two times out of 11 i dicked up something shooting at an animal were both rushed and one was over 300 yards, most particularly they were rushed and i forgot to take things into a account, and again they were rushed. both mistakes that had nothing to do with writing a dissertation on zeroing a rifle or how to get your 10,000 hours of practice.

Point, Shoot, Eat. a soliloquy by TOGIE.

Not aware of anything near 15oz that would classify as a lead sled.

Not aware of anything near 15oz that would classify as a lead sled.

Caldwell sells a lot of things that are called Lead Sleads on their website that really are just shooting rests that you have to buy lead bags for, they're all called Lead Sleads. if you don't put lead on it it's not heavy.

maybe where my confusion is coming form because i feel because of that they're all just shooting rests/lead sleds. up to you if you actually want to "lead it up" tho

i'd still never zero a rifle without it being on some sort of shooting rest where i basically do nothing but make sure it's pointed on bulls eye and pull the trigger. or maybe i'm dumb 🤷‍♂️

Okay. I went back and checked some history and it looks like I ended up watching a YouTube video by Texas Plinking that had a 1,000 yard shooting challenge series that they are starting.

The App is https://rangetime.com/

I have no affiliation to any of it, they just briefly described it in the video and it looked intriguing. They said the app was free unless you wanted to store targets or something.

Again, I haven't used the app and don't have any affiliation with it. It just sounded interesting.
Ha! Storing targets was the first thing I thought I’d want to do with it! Lol.

Caldwell sells a lot of things that are called Lead Sleads on their website that really are just shooting rests that you have to buy lead bags for, they're all called Lead Sleads. if you don't put lead on it it's not heavy.

maybe where my confusion is coming form because i feel because of that they're all just shooting rests/lead sleds. up to you if you actually want to "lead it up" tho

i'd still never zero a rifle without it being on some sort of shooting rest where i basically do nothing but make sure it's pointed on bulls eye and pull the trigger. or maybe i'm dumb 🤷‍♂️

Lead sled = any shooting rest on this page https://www.caldwellshooting.com/rests/shooting-rests/lead-sled/

If it was just a front and rear rest without the pocket that captures the back of the buttstock and ties all recoil to the whole contraption and the rubber feet gripping the bench, i wouldn't consider it a lead sled. The ones ive seen reduce the ability of a rifle to recoil a lot without added weight just by the feet's grip on a bench. They also jack up your LOP and head position.

You're not dumb, you must just not know how to build a solid position with good front and rear rests from a bench. If one can't get over the idea that two separate rests can be just as steady, there are products like the one below out there that would be less hard on rifles/scopes.
caldwell-shooting-rest-fuer-ar15-waffen-in-schwarzem-design.jpg

How important is using a damn bipod? I hate them for hunting, and prefer to just get a solid rest without a bipod. When testing/zeroing recently, i've been just using a small rear bag and solid rest over a packpack or duffle bag. Seems to be fine. @Carl @Wind Gypsy am I missing out?

You can get real solid on an improvised front rest, it’s just easier with a bipod in many cases. I don’t always bring them hunting depending on circumstance but a Spartan bipod isn’t much of a nuisance to carry either

I do like having a little front load on a bipod for recoil control/spotting longer shots.

I pretty much agree with Wind Gypsy. I can get a stable position a bit faster and more consistently with a bipod vs a pack, but it usually isn’t THAT different. Where I see most of the difference is in the ability to spot shots, it’s much easier for me if I can load a bipod. Now, get the recoil low enough and that doesn’t matter either, but I can tell the difference on a 10lb 6mm with no muzzle device.

I've taken enough shots on inclines sideways and up or downhill slopes that a bipod would have been no use. mtmuley
I love shooting off a bipod but I have been in situations you described and I have struggled.

Bipod’s definitely have their limitations, but they aren’t all equal. I can use this one (a Ckyepod) on side hills as steep as I’d care to be on. It does a pretty decent job getting tall as well, depending on the specific model. The taller they go, the heavier they are, and none are light. None are cheap either.

Being comfortable shooting in the field without one is an important skill. I feel they offer me enough of an increase in speed/precision/shot spotting that I bother toting one around more often than not.

5436.jpeg

I have decided to build a quick detach bipod and keep it in my daypack so I can snap it on quickly as needed. I have a Caldwell bipod and it is NOT QD. A real pain to attach and remove. There are bipods made that attach to rails. I'll get one of those and mount a short rail under the front sling swivel.

Back