Accuracy vs. Precision

Hey everyone! I finally understand the difference between accuracy and precision after watching a fantastic video on Youtube. I really love the idea of calculating accuracy and precision for both Elevation and Windage using real math to create this 95% probability rectangle. I am curious what people think and I am super excited to try the calculation with my shooting different bullets and guns.

YouTube Video Link

Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 6.19.14 PM.png

Not to rain on your parade, but I would much rather spend the time at the shooting bench than plugging numbers into an Excel spreadsheet to find out what my rifle does. In all honesty, did not watch the video. My theory on accuracy and precision, accuracy is what your rifle is capable of and precision is how closely you can replicate that accuracy. That only happens by practice, and more practice.

I agree with what @Caseknife said. I do think sites like Hornady ballistics calculator are helpful for things like developing drop charts. I like to use them to at least get close and not have to burn through excess ammo while developing drop charts. Always verify anything you see on these apps personally though through practice at any range you might be shooting.

Caseknife is on the right track, but unfortunately is inversely proportionate. :unsure:
:oops:

For precision think of a CNC machine. They can make hundreds of parts precisely to within one thousandths of an inch.

Accuracy is being able to overcome circumstances to get within acceptable tolerances.

Enough with the spreadsheets!
Go out & shoot and learn already!
All your engineering theory goes out the window at the first shot.

Accuracy and Precision are defined terms when it comes to rifle shooting. Accuracy - How close your shots are to the Point of Aim. Precision is how tight the group of shots is or how tight the rifle/ammo/shooter is capable of shooting them. People can decide to have their own meanings if it makes them happy but they are wrong in with how they are used in actual ballistic applications.

[Edit to add: people might scoff at the semantics but there is an important difference. The odds of a shooter putting 3, 4, 5 shots onto a 1 MOA target are different than a shooter putting the same # of shots into a 1 MOA group, the further you get, the further the odds diverge.]

I like it @roughpasture243 I think there may be apps out there that compile a lot of this data even now days. I think there is value to having more statistically relevant data but I don't know where the line is of being too much in the weeds.

I know shooting some of these larger group sizes from field position tells a hell of a lot more about what a person/equipment's real capabilities are than what 98% of people do shooting 3 shot groups from a bench.

A couple things that hold a lot more water in relation to hunters actual capabilities to hit targets:
- A shooting drill I believe @Carl is credited with creating - google "equipment versus practice posts and Rifle Practice"
- The kraft drill by rifle kraft.

Most would prefer to remain ignorant about what their real hit likelihoods are in hunting situations though.

Last edited:
There are many ways people define accuracy and precision when referring to rifles. In a nutshell to me a rifle is only as accurate as the shooter. Give a proficient shooter a rifle shooting 1 MOA and a novice shooter a rifle shooting 1/2MOA and see which one can make consistent shots at game or targets especially when some distance is involved.
Also a few 3 shot groups aren’t enough to verify a rifle’s accuracy. Start shooting 10-20 shot groups and if it’s 1 MOA or better I’d use that rifle all day.
Practice from field shooting positions not from a bench also.

I found this in the time it took to type the question:
Precision is the measured reproducibility or repeatability of a system under unchanged conditions. Accuracy, on the other hand, is a measurement or the degree of closeness to a measurement to a specific target value. Basically, your rifle either shoots very precisely, or it doesn’t.
Source:https://www.marineapproved.com/best...e either shoots very precisely, or it doesn’t.

I found this in the time it took to type the question:
Precision is the measured reproducibility or repeatability of a system under unchanged conditions. Accuracy, on the other hand, is a measurement or the degree of closeness to a measurement to a specific target value. Basically, your rifle either shoots very precisely, or it doesn’t.
Source:https://www.marineapproved.com/best-long-range-rifles/#:~:text=Precision is the measured reproducibility or repeatability of,rifle either shoots very precisely, or it doesn’t.
I agree. What I think messes up folks when talking about shooting is that there are 2 “machines” involved. The rifle and the shooter. Each ”machine” has it‘s own accuracy and precision limits. And whenever you combine two systems the combine system will always be less precise than the individual systems. So in the case of a very imprecise shooter that imprecision masks whatever underlying precision a given rifle may have. And, imprecision in any system makes determination of accuracy more difficult. That, and the fact that 3 shot groups tell you very little about precision.

I agree. What I think messes up folks when talking about shooting is that there are 2 “machines” involved. The rifle and the shooter. Each ”machine” has it‘s own accuracy and precision limits. And whenever you combine two systems the combine system will always be less precise than the individual systems. So in the case of a very imprecise shooter that imprecision masks whatever underlying precision a given rifle may have. And, imprecision in any system makes determination of accuracy more difficult. That, and the fact that 3 shot groups tell you very little about precision.
Do you use a lead sled? That would at least help determine if the problem lies with the shooter or gun.
But much to your point, a guy I knew that was a deputy, his best bet if it came to it would've been to spray and pray. It's safe to say if there was an issue it most likely would have been him since he had parkinson's.

Do you use a lead sled? That would at least help determine if the problem lies with the shooter or gun.
But much to your point, a guy I knew that was a deputy, his best bet if it came to it would've been to spray and pray. It's safe to say if there was an issue it most likely would have been him since he had parkinson's.

Lead sled = garbage.

Jeepers; Accuracy is hitting the pie plate from field positions with every shot. From sitting I’m accurate to 400 prone to 500. Precision is little bug holes, demonstrate the capabilities of your rifle and load and your skill off the bench. Precision will also let you know if your rifle will allow you to be accurate past a given distance.

Bipod or other front rest and a rear bag. If you build a solid position it should be at least as solid/consistent as a lead sled but actually allows the rifle to recoil like it’s supposed to and not so hard on scopes and stocks.
Get a good quality bipod. Mine drags on the bench during recoil and has marked my stock where the base of bipod attaches at sling swivel. I made this setup and it allows the rifle to move more freely during recoil. I have a fancy v-shaped rear bag for butt that I picked up on sale somewhere.
Quik-Rest1.JPGQuik-Rest3.JPG

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back