Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Access through special permit area

WIbiggame

I know this was asked earlier but I can't find the post I apologies. But can I walk through a special draw unit to access a general area? Speaking specifically for Montana. Would be camping in general unit just have a mountain that makes it easier to walk into the special permit area to get around.

I don't know but I would say yes public land is public land no matter what unit it's in

"No, Mr, Game Warden, this gun on my back and tag in my pocket are not for the public land I am currently walking on."

That could be a tough sell.

Carrying an animal back out on the same route could raise eyebrows. I would recommend mark the kill site well on GPS and be prepared to hike back to the kill site to prove where you harvested your animal. Hope you shoot a big one, Best wishes!

Last edited:
You need to read the regs on what constitutes the act of hunting in Montana and that may answer some questions for you. Most states require a weapon to be unloaded and cased. I would contact the warden for that district and make a call. Could save you a ticket later or worse.

An email (not a phone call because he may forget he talked to you) to the game warden that covers that area will save you a lot of trouble. Include a map of where you are headed and the hunting districts involved.

What these other guys have said. A little communication to the local office and warden beforehand could save a lot of headache later.

+1 on the email.

Can't prove a phone call. Email its in writing. Print email and case the weapon. Don't see it being an issue if its all public and weapon is cased.

Good proactive advice being given, but I'm in the mtmuley camp on this one and wouldn't worry about it.

I have a spot I do that in every now and then. (maybe the same spot as you even) ;) I've never seen anyone else do it, and I know that the local warden is a young, in shape ambitious guy who likes to hunt. Last thing I'm going to do is tip him off to that idea.
What I'm doing is legal, and if I ever harvest anything I'll have no problem returning to the kill site to prove it was legal. I also make a point of having 'tracks' on in my gps when i go to that spot, just in case. So far its never been an issue.

Talk to the warden before hand. Keep your gun unloaded on the hike through. Even better, strap it to your pack.

It's perfectly legal, but some preemptive work on your part will make for smoother sailing.

I have done this often and didn't really give it a second thought. We hike through a wildlife management area to get to forest service ground with different season dates and usually special drawings etc. Hiking, hunting, harvesting, pursuit of game...all broad definitions. I hold myself to a high standard of ethics and that has worked so far. Act as if the game warden is watching you and you will have nothing to worry about. It is a requirement to be able to return to the kill site.

Thank you everyone for the insight. I will email the warden in charge of this area and just let him know my plans and find out if there is anything special I need to do. I am archery hunting so hopefully I don't need to case my bow. I don't want to hike a soft case back in 3 miles

You can actually pack a loaded rifle through Yellowstone park to get to areas to hunt. It's called the second amendment and requires no permission from any game warden.

This would be like texting a police officer to let him know you plan to turn right on red.

You can actually pack a loaded rifle through Yellowstone park to get to areas to hunt. It's called the second amendment and requires no permission from any game warden.

And they can thank the anti gun guy Obama.

The national park gun law change was included in an amendment to the Credit Cardholders' Bill of Rights Act of 2009, authored by Senator Tom Coburn, R-Okla., and signed into law by President Obama on May 22, 2009.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back