Access through special permit area

You can actually pack a loaded rifle through Yellowstone park to get to areas to hunt. It's called the second amendment and requires no permission from any game warden.

Yep, a game warden watched me hike through Teton National Park, with my rifle, to access a bull bison on National Forrest.

The sticky part was after I shot him, he ran into the park on a death run. Whoops!

Bummer. If that happens on the Yellowstone border, you're SOL on retrieval. We you able to get him?

I guess I should be more specific the OP is asking while on foot walking through a special permit area. I am thinking while in a vehicle here. Here is the VA law. And the 2nd Amendment does not cover many hunting situations that restrict that right while in the field hunting. Ex carrying a rifle during muzzy season here. I think the OP could be written a ticket if carrying a rifle on his back in a special permit area but it could also like said before make a difference as to if the zone had an open general season at the time.
It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm which is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on all National Forest lands statewide, or on Department-owned lands and on lands managed by the Department under cooperative agreement in counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey or waterfowl on these lands; and on Department- owned lands and on lands managed by the Department under cooperative agreement in counties east of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, waterfowl or migratory game birds on these lands. (See exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders).
It shall be unlawful to possess or transport a loaded firearm or loaded crossbow in or on any vehicle at any time on National Forest lands or Department-owned lands. (See exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders).

And they can thank the anti gun guy Obama.

The national park gun law change was included in an amendment to the Credit Cardholders' Bill of Rights Act of 2009, authored by Senator Tom Coburn, R-Okla., and signed into law by President Obama on May 22, 2009.

I was just about to say a guy couldn't last time I was in Yellowstone if my memory serves me right I had no idea this changed. Interesting...

This is similar to hunting the adjacent Forest Service lands next to the Sun River Game Range or traveling through the Game Range to reach the wilderness areas. This is legal, and nothing they can say unless you break the law.

Tags or no, I wouldn't worry. DanO makes a good point. Like GH said, you don't have to call to turn right. mtmuley

Bummer. If that happens on the Yellowstone border, you're SOL on retrieval. We you able to get him?

Yep, the Ranger was a little puzzled as to why there was no blood trail. I wasn't; thick hair & hide, one clean 30 cal hole. Here I am on Teton Park with my bull.10009787_955510471130216_7034381234383924290_n.jpg

Just do it. If you kill something and anyone gives you crap tell him where the carcass is and it is up to him to go have a look and see if you are lying.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back