Montana 2022 regulation changes.

Irishman

The elk regulations in Montana this year changed from previous years. This year, if you drew a special elk tag, you could only hunt that unit, and not general units also. I'm curious what the effects of these changes were? Did less people apply for special elk permits? Did drawing odds change significantly? What was the experience like on special draw units, versus previous years, more people, less people? Did the changes make any difference?

I only hunted general units, and I would say that I ran into about the same number of people as 2021. In previous years I drew permits and never showed up to hunt those units, I doubt that many people did that this year.

We hunted a special unit in eastern Montana and the pressure seemed heavier than previously seasons. We spent half a month hunting/scouting and there was lots of hunters, but minimal game harvested. We did the most shooting of anyone and we only heard 4 or 6 shots the entire rifle season for pronghorn, elk, and deer for the two weeks we were there.

I think limiting special tag holders to only the limited area is a good idea, and they shouldn’t be allowed to hunt general units also. It takes away the advantage of locals wanting to draw a limited tag and someone else drawing it and not hunting the unit, because it’s too far away or they don’t want to spend the travel cost.

I personally hope the FWP goes to a draw for all big game, or pick your district/weapon.

Imo it seemed like archery permits were way easier to draw because most guys didn’t want to be limited to one area. At the same time though I would think more people put in for harder to get rifle tags for the same reason

Glad to see some units cow from brow tine bull or antlerless to brow tine bull only with some antlerless b tag opportunity.

Archery hunted eastern Mt and pressure didn't seem too bad although id never hunted that area before. Saw a ton of elk and had a great trip. Time to start building points to go again.

Special units during archery were still a zoo of people. No shortage of Bozeman guys running around seeing “400” bulls and 180” deer” everywhere like they always claim they see. Didn’t seem like anyone had trouble drawing an archery tag if they wanted one in a special unit

I have a friend who drew a Breaks rifle tag. He hunted there a lot. I said to him, I guess you had to, as you couldn't hunt elsewhere. He replied "when did they change that?". He apparently didn't even know. Ha!
Yeah I wonder how common that was, had a friend draw a breaks tag too and he was surprised when I told him he couldn’t shoot one out of the hayfield back home if he wasn’t successful in the breaks. He said he wasn’t going to put in for a special rifle tag anymore and might buy a bow instead so he can still shoot one with a rifle back home. Montana should go to a pick your weapon so guys can’t do that lol

Some guys have ignorant friends. mtmuley
Actually a highly intelligent guy. I never applied for a special permit, was there something on the permit saying you could only hunt that unit? Not that it matters, as he spent the whole season out in the Breaks unit anyway.

Actually a highly intelligent guy. I never applied for a special permit, was there something on the permit saying you could only hunt that unit? Not that it matters, as he spent the whole season out in the Breaks unit anyway.
Tell your smart friend it was right in the regulations. mtmuley

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back