A Windy Weekend in the Pronghorn Hills

Awesome speedgoats! I cringe thinking about that wind and I can't imagine how bad it was in a tent.

You'll take note of why we camped up in the canyon. The good thing about that wind though, is it may have helped push Kaitie into the 'we need a camper' party.

How's that Kimber shoot?

Nice goats.

It shoots well, but it came with a screwy chamber that marks brass, and could be causing a velocity drop. It may be going in for a new barrel this winter if I can find a couple months where I don't want to be hunting with it.

You'll take note of why we camped up in the canyon. The good thing about that wind though, is it may have helped push Kaitie into the 'we need a camper' party.

I'm of the camper party now myself. I've spent about 50 nights in a tent or on the ground this year and having a camper to hide out in and sleep on a mattress is definitely worth it. Of course I go and buy a new truck so no funds for a camper anytime soon.

Congrats, MT or WY?

I was in a tipi on a ridge at 7500' Saturday night, hardly slept, it had to be blowing a steady 50-60mph all night.

Congrats, MT or WY?

I was in a tipi on a ridge at 7500' Saturday night, hardly slept, it had to be blowing a steady 50-60mph all night.

This was in Montana. No love for us in the Wyoming draw this year.

I have no idea what the wind was where we were at, but it was blowing hard enough that shooting wasn't even a possibility at times and in certain places.

it may have helped push Kaitie into the 'we need a camper' party.

So....what your saying is the next HT hunt we'll all be staying in your new 38 foot fifth wheel with 4 slide outs, fireplace and lope chops on the grill? :hump:

So....what your saying is the next HT hunt we'll all be staying in your new 38 foot fifth wheel with 4 slide outs, fireplace and lope chops on the grill? :hump:

Maybe Sparky needs to make the trip next year. It could make evenings by the campfire more entertaining as it may draw out meth-heads like moths to a flame.

11709775_10205620509686789_536776991170392990_n.jpg

After several blown stocks on Sunday fighting the wind and pile of people out for the weekend Monday turned out a bit better. The wife was able to fill her doe tag early with her first antelope. An hour or so later I found this guy hanging out by himself leaving the creek after a drink, as lone bucks will do, he got curious and that was the end of him.

The wife claiming my kill.
DSC01669_zpssdpcko5g.jpg

DSC01674_zpsr6l5vzyv.jpg

We were able to get both lopes cleaned and in the cooler before meeting up for lunch and then packing up to head back to town. Not a bad trip at all, and now we are resupplied with my favorite type of venison for the year.

Congrats you two. You were successful as soon as you pulled out of the driveway, you both had your best friends and you were going Hunting. John

Maybe Sparky needs to make the trip next year. It could make evenings by the campfire more entertaining as it may draw out meth-heads like moths to a flame.

Is it called Sparky because you forgot to mount wheels on it? Just drags on the frame?

It looks like Randy may be the only person in camp to be able to stand fully upright in Ol' Sparky.

Back