Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

A Whitetail story

When the other buck left, I figured, not that long until dark, might as well stay put. Fifteen minutes later, there he was slowly walking the forty yard trail. He knew something wasn't quite right and was being extremely cautious. I drew my bow and settled the forty yard pin behind the shoulder and let it fly. Every thing felt good, looked good, until he jumped the string and I watched the arrow go right over his back. He bolted away, but had no idea what had happened. After hundred yards of running he stopped and tried to figure out what had just happened. I waited him out and he walked down to the fields in the near dark. I was disappointed, but also grateful the shot was a clean miss.

Walking back I had time to reflect on the next days options. I had planed to set in the tree stand on the ditch bank. Something in the back of my head was telling me to set the island. The more I thought about it the more I liked the island for the morning. The past two days he had went south and both days he ran into me. He never saw me, or smelled me, but he knew it just wasn't right to the south. The island it was for the morning.

Last edited:
The next morning started bad from the start. First the batteries puked in my headlight so I stumbled into the stand. As soon as I sat down, two geese on the river started honking at me in the dark. Honk,honk honk and they flew off, but they only went 75 yards and sat back down and they kept honking, just with longer pauses between honks. I figured they would lose interest and quit. Wrong. A half hour later they were still honking so I got up and threw rocks into the river until they flew off. Finally some quiet, and quiet it was. I could see close to a half mile up stream and just as far down stream except for about 100 yards of the far bank just down stream that was hidden by the rock.. Not one deer showed up, the sun was coming up and other than two annoying geese and a small flock of teal, nothing was moving. I figured the all the honking had spoiled the morning. I put my arrow back in the quiver and stood up. He was 80 yards away on the part of the river bank that was hidden by the rock getting a drink. In minutes he was finished drinking and walking up stream to the island. I kept thinking let him get past so he doesn't see you draw, aim small and calm down. In little time he was just past me and between me and the island. A 20, maybe 25 yard shot. I drew back, settled the 20 yard pin right behind the shoulder and tripped the release. No watching the arrow go over his back this time. He wheeled and ran back up on the far bank, but he only made it about 75 yards and he started to stagger and tipped over. I was confident he was done, but I decided to give him some time just to make sure. I called my best friend and said I needed a photographer and I would wait for him as he lives only a half hour away. As I waited I had time to reflect on this buck. I knew he was my best whitetail ever and I was so excited my feet were hardly touching the ground. Soon however sadness started creeping in. I am going to miss him.DSCN3899.JPGDSCN3900.JPGDSCN3908.JPG

Last edited:
What a buck! Absolutely beautiful. You should have some of his offspring to chase. Congratulations on a great story and thanks for sharing your history of this buck with us.

I was just kidding with my earlier post. You told a great story about an incredible journey after an awesome buck. Finding the sheds from him over so many years is really incredible. Congratulations!

What a beautiful buck and IMO an even better story. you have some serious skills for telling a story. I also agree it’s kinda sad when the quest is over. Well done congrats!!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back