Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

A poorly filmed wolf experience

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Last year I shot a wolf while out looking mostly to fill a whitetail doe tag on a client's land. As luck would have it, I didn't have a camera operator with me. So, I just turned on my cell phone and recorded some of my blabbering while it was happening.

The footage has been on my phone for a year. I showed it to Dale the other day and he said he would make something interesting from it. OK, knock yourself out.

Here is what he came up with. I am ready for all the heckling as people see me pull the rookie move of not putting a round in the chamber.

Turned out good, as good as many of the polished ones. Very nice wolf! Not having a bullet ready is way easier to understand than packing out wolf meat though..

Seriously- what do/did you do with wolf meat?
It is still in my freezer. I can't get any of the disease ecologists to give me confidence that I won't be stricken with some life-lasting food-born illness normally saved for the guys over at Meateater. I've inquired with one more wildlife disease ecologist last week, but I suspect the response will be another vote of "proceed at your own risk."

When I get confidence from one of them that I wouldn't tip over as a result of eating tainted wolf meat, you are invited. The food will likely suck, but for you I'll upgrade the beer quality my crew normally serves.

Last edited:
Nice! Fun video, as usual. :) I'd pass eating wolf, slow roasted or not. I think I saw something from you(?) with a group in a kitchen setting - served wolf meat. Maybe I'm confusing the food served. Meh - regardless - enjoyable to watch. I would have given up recording after "X" amount of selfie retakes - haha!

When I get confidence from one of them that I would tip over as a result of eating tainted wolf meat, you are invited. The food will likely suck, but for you I'll upgrade the beer quality my crew normally serves.
You want me to tip over, but supply good beer for the occasion? 😀

It is still in my freezer. I can't get any of the disease ecologists to give me confidence that I won't be stricken with some life-lasting food-born illness normally saved for the guys over at Meateater. I've inquired with one more wildlife disease ecologist last week, but I suspect the response will be another vote of "proceed at your own risk."

When I get confidence from one of them that I wouldn't tip over as a result of eating tainted wolf meat, you are invited. The food will likely suck, but for you I'll upgrade the beer quality my crew normally serves.
Sounds like a fundraiser for the Fresh Tracks crew. $10 for a wolf taco (heavily seasoned, plus fajita veggies please lol) plus a drink. Plan it for the summer so all of us up there to scout can swing by and get our picture taken with the crew like we're at Disney lol.

Last year I shot a wolf while out looking mostly to fill a whitetail doe tag. As luck would have it, I didn't have a camera operator with me. So, I just turned on my cell phone and recorded some of my blabbering while it was happening.

The footage has been on my phone for a year. I showed it to Dale the other day and he said he would make something interesting from it. OK, knock yourself out.

Here is what he came up with. I am ready for all the heckling as people see me pull the rookie move of not putting a round in the chamber.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing! Is this the wolf you were talking about bringing us a tooth from to age? (This is AJ from Matson’s)

Did your crew give you flack for orienting the phone vertically instead of horizontally? That’s the only way I could tell it was shot on a phone, pretty amazing the quality of video we can get on cell phones now!

I thought it was great. Your reaction when the trigger clicks is exactly how all of us have felt a time or two.

What did you do with the hide/head?

Your wolf calling also works on tabby cats. Searching all over the house trying to figure out what the hell that was.

Does the camera crew come up with the titles for videos?

That was awesome, honestly with it all focused on you, the excitement of the moment came through more than if a kill shot would’ve been filmed. Thanks for sharing your hunt without a film crew........kinda.

I got a big ol’ crusty face from Mrs kansasdad when I guffawed out loud at the “click, #*@%$$*!” moment on the empty chamber, interrupting her attempt at catching up on the Great British Baking Show.

You and Dale have made quite the entertaining episode.

Congratulations on your successful outing and for putting out entertaining content.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back