A poorly filmed wolf experience

Interesting comments about the howling. I grew up howling to wolves across the Big Fork river from where my Dad lived, died, and is now buried, just downstream from the rapids that is known as Big Falls, MN. On winter nights, when boredom offered temptations of juvenile delinquency, as an alternative to trouble I would hike down to the river and howl for wolves.

Sometimes they would answer from across the river. Sometimes they wouldn't. I attributed any failure in their reply to the fact that they weren't present. I suspect their silence was most likely due to the quality of my howling. It worked often enough to keep me entertained and avoided reason to get a free ride to the juvenile detention center in International Falls.

At that age and my small world experience to draw from, I never knew you could call elk or turkeys or any other animal. For me, talking to wolves and getting them to talk back was a very fascinating experience, much like calling elk and turkeys. I had no idea what I was saying or what the response was that they sent back. My mom would come unglued when I would tell her about it, fearing her oldest would disappear one cold winter night in a real life version of Little Red Riding Hood.

When I first heard people calling for moose, something I viewed as similar to "snipe hunting," I thought it was a poor rendition of a wolf howl. Just more nasal sounding. Folks who hear me howl for wolves think it is a deeper version of moose calling.

Can't say it always works, but it worked good enough on this day. I've seen some other guys do it with their cupped hands, their kid's toys, party horns, and calls made for the purpose of howling. What little I did learn from that youthful experience was that the longer, deeper, and more drawn out the call, the greater the likelihood of a reply.

Honestly enjoyed that as much as your other videos. Nothing edited out, honest hunting, and respect to the animal. Wouldn't have expected anything less. Thanks for sharing.

What would be the possible risks of eating wolf meat? Educate me! Pretty darn good watching.

The last issue of Bugle magazine had a story in it about an outfitter camp that got snowed in while in the Bob Marshall. Part of the outfit had some Amish clients that survived on mule deer and wolf during the snow-in. According to them, it isn't too bad eating. The Amish are a pretty tough breed though lol

Give the wolf meat to a hawk aviary. You do not want to eat or you would have. They will appreciate it.

If Greenhorn will eat it, film it.

The last issue of Bugle magazine had a story in it about an outfitter camp that got snowed in while in the Bob Marshall. Part of the outfit had some Amish clients that survived on mule deer and wolf during the snow-in. According to them, it isn't too bad eating. The Amish are a pretty tough breed though lol
You beat me to this gem. Apparently they had eaten all of the wolf meat and there was some buck meat the outfitter packed out for them. I think they were stuck almost a week past when they were supposed to be packed out. 4-5' of snow will do that...

Enjoyed watching this one. You finally get a day off with no film crew and you film anyway! It's more about wanting to share your experiences than make a show from what I can tell!

We used to have lots of wolves around us in Northern MN also and I could step out the back door and howl a time or two to get them howling back. Pretty neat, but our deer population wasn't able to support them

Congratulations on wolf. That was awesome and from look of excitement very unexpected. I do have a question. How often do you shoot left handed with a left handed rifle? I have watched you for years, I don't ever recall you shooting lefty.

I appreciate people that don’t have one in the chamber when they should more than people that do have one in when they shouldn’t.

Congratulations on wolf. That was awesome and from look of excitement very unexpected. I do have a question. How often do you shoot left handed with a left handed rifle? I have watched you for years, I don't ever recall you shooting lefty.
That was covered in Randy’s intro. Had the phone on selfie-mode so the image is reversed.

It is still in my freezer. I can't get any of the disease ecologists to give me confidence that I won't be stricken with some life-lasting food-born illness normally saved for the guys over at Meateater. I've inquired with one more wildlife disease ecologist last week, but I suspect the response will be another vote of "proceed at your own risk."

When I get confidence from one of them that I wouldn't tip over as a result of eating tainted wolf meat, you are invited. The food will likely suck, but for you I'll upgrade the beer quality my crew normally serves.
You could end up drawing quite a crowd with that offer, Randy!

Thanks Randy. Inspiring to see that even rock star hunters get so excited sometimes that they forget to chamber a round!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back