Yeti GOBOX Collection

A Poor Elk Hunter With A Good Elk Tag

You know it is a good tag when you can do a morning hunt, and be back in the office by 10:30.

I think it is every hunter's dream to be able to chase elk out the back door.

Thanks for sharing it with us..

Hunt 9

I woke up and drove over a mountain pass in a snowstorm today with a buddy. When we arrived at the trailhead we were the only ones there, and that was the case all day.

Today I saw and had a good chance at the biggest bull I've seen yet. To speak in inches, he was every bit of 320 - well above my threshold of acceptability. Essentially we made a move and zigged when we should have zagged. He ended up busting us out in the open at 100 yards. It was frustrating, and was the first time this season things not working out stung a bit, because I know how difficult it is to have these situations work out with a herd bull, and to make the wrong call was tough because for a bit of time there was a real chance. He came to us and did what we'd hoped he'd do, and if not for one of his cows I believe I would've had a chance to try and poke him in the heart.

When we were pinned and beaten, at 100 yards I didn't need to speak elk to know what he was saying. "Show yourself you Fu$%!ing Coward!".The bull stood on a slight rise skylining himself against the gathering storm. He tipped his head back and hollered at the universe. We were essentially living a moment in a mtmiller photo. It was a short moment, and one I will never forget.

By 11:00 we had spotted 7 bulls - a couple of which were really nice, but couldn't successfully make a move on any of them. Got back to the truck wet and cold about 3. The beers waiting at the truck hit the spot.

Last edited:
Hunt 9

I woke up and drove over a mountain pass in a snowstorm today with a buddy. When we arrived at the trailhead we were the only ones there, and that was the case all day.

By 11:00 we had spotted 7 bulls - a couple of which were really nice, but couldn't successfully make a move on any of them. Got back to the truck wet and cold about 3. The beers waiting at the truck hit the spot.
I was thinking of you this morning when it was blowing 20+ and snowing sideways...figured you would have the place to yourself. Glad you got a stalk in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back