A Poor Elk Hunter With A Good Elk Tag

I really appreciate the regular guy/family man/working stiff theme running here. As much as I’d love to draw a spectacular tag, it’d be tough feeling like I couldn’t do it justice with work and family obligations (mostly family). It’s a problem I’d like to try out soon, but you know what I mean. You’re fortunate to live so close to the unit. I hope you continue to have fun and eventually, kill an elk that makes you happy.

Hunt(s) 5

There are 5,300 acres of HD 380 per permit holder. Obviously, there's a lot more folks out there pursuing spikes and cows, but those are pretty good stats if you think about it.

The early bird gets the worm, and I have 2 days off of work, so an hour before shooting light I showed up to the sign in box of a BMA I was going to try. 2 trucks were already there, and 4 guys had signed in. Of course I looked at where they were from, and they had traveled 300 miles to hunt this BMA on a Wednesday, so I assume they were tag holders as well. I don't like following guys up in the dark on limited ground so I moved on. Only 200 yards down the road 2 cows and a bull crossed in front of me, heading up toward the headlamps of those earlier birds....

Video of the bull in my headlights

I went to my second choice chunk of land, and as the sun came up bugles were all around. I ascended a volcanic reef, and let one of my own out. A response from down below immediately followed. I looked down, and on a string a small 5 pt was heading right toward me. He came to within 30 yards, spotted me, and took off. I was thrilled again.

A half mile or so off I heard another bugle. Raising the binos I spotted the bull who sent it into the ether standing in the middle of a park. He was big. I took off toward him through the sage. The bull must have spotted me because his bugles became more distant as he climbed his mountain. I pursued anyway, and 1,500 vertical feel later I no longer heard him or had any idea where he went, but I took in the view and then hiked straight down the face of the mountain, which wasted me as it was nothing but scree obscured by pecker poles - it was a miserable descent.

Back to the truck around noon, I changed gears, Maybe against good advice.

Every time I laced up my boots this summer my dog got excited because it meant we were going hiking. The last five times I sat in the living room getting ready, she looked on excitedly only to have me close the door on her face as I left to look for elk. A 45 minute drive gets me to our hun spot, and so that is what we did. We popped up one covey of 6, and I shot 2 of them. I was pleased with how she ranged and behaved, and I can't wait to get back out with her. She was pleased too.

Same spot 11 months apart

9DF3F639-A2DC-479D-B222-F42A525F1879.png

I got her home about 5 and went out for an evening sit. I had a spot that was a short hike that I thought could be active and a good place to listen. I sat until dark, and didn't hear a peep. My wife heard more bugling off the back porch this evening than I did in the heart of the Elkhorns. On the hike out in the dark I got to within 50 or so yards of a cow and calf moose, which was spooky. I ended the day with 18 miles on the GPS.

Hard to describe how amazing this time of year is.

May be one of the true DIY OYO - Public Land and Private opened to public hunts this thread has had in a long time and may be a leading contender for one of the best - fitting the core of this entire OYOA / Fresh Tracks... Newberg message.

Great reading. Thanks for taking us along!

Hunt 6

On the recommendation of a HuntTalker, I have been listening to some podcasts with Paul Medel, and I also downloaded his app. Hard to believe there is a guy out there who understands elk more than him. Something he often says is, "Hunt where the elk are, not where you want them to be."

I had yesterday off, so I spent the night at my brother's cabin in the southern Elkhorns. He actually purchased it from a fellow HuntTalker 5 or 6 years ago. It has become one of my favorite places on earth, and though I am not so sure the country around it is great during the archery season, I do think it has a lot of possibility for rifle season and sanctuary areas nearby. It has no water or electricity, but always plenty of liquor.

My Brother's Cabin

cabin.jpg

I left the cabin 2 hours before daylight and drove a few miles down the road to hike into a chunk of country I had only ever looked at on a map. Like I said, I don't think this may be the best archery season area, but I succumbed to the latter part of Medel's quote above. Sometimes, maybe often times, I hunt country more than I hunt critters.

It rained most of the morning and I only heard a couple distant bugles. I covered nearly ten miles, and had a great day hiking, but couldn't help feel that in terms of maximizing my likelihood for success, I may have wasted it. My best chances seem to be where I know the elk are, but where there are also other hunters. Those are the places I will likely hunt the remainder of the archery season, which feels to this uneducated archery hunter, to be waning in terms of the rut.

Hunt 7

I realize that this thread is chiefly a bunch of unsuccessful hunts, but I like to hear myself talk so I'm gonna persist.

Had time for a half-day hunt this weekend but that was it. Fun morning chasing elk. Tons of activity but just couldn't get into bow range. Feels like my best bet would be to just sit in one spot! Instead of typing I made a map. Chronology and locations are generally correct.

ABusyDay.jpg
BusyDayChart.JPG

View attachment 115300

For those you wondering what unit 380 looks like from the unit across the interstate... this is a pano of the west side north section!

Nice picture Speeddmn.

I have taken more than a few critters within the field of view of your photo. In fact, I often hike into the exact country where you are standing from out my front door. The foreman of that ranch is a family friend of ours, and that chunk of country is special. I live just over the ridge furthest to the right in the foreground of your photo.

Nice! I parked at the corral and walked around. Spotted some elk a few miles off... said well gotta try. 10.77 miles later, was my round trip total, wassnt able to connect since the wind was such a swirling buthead!

Hunt 8

Did a before work hunt. I didn't hear a single bugle, nor did I see a single elk, but I couldn't hear a whole lot over the wind. Was into the office by 10:30. Short of the long:

-Ran into the bear again on the hike in in the dark.
-2 Trees fell within 100 yards of me, and I heard half a dozen more fall
-Met another hunter who also had the tag. Older guy. Very friendly, and had a very fine mustache
-Starting to get in better shape with all this hiking. The ridge had me huffing heavily the first few hunts. Now it is just a warm up.
-Pretty pumped to spend a day bowhunting in a snowstorm this weekend.

It is typically a bad omen for my hunting season when I start taking pictures of trees.

The ridge at dawn
Pic2.jpg

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back