A Navy Veteran’s perspective on racism

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was simply asking you to clarify your own statement/question - your two options, not mine. But to be fair - my “question” really was more a rhetorical comment that didn’t require an answer.
Where in my statement did I state or imply there is NO racism? That is not from me. That is from you.

Can you point me to the branch/document that has authority over the “system“ if not thru laws?

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of ...

View attachment 144708
You asked me to identify a racist law to eliminate. You did not ask if new laws or enforcing current laws could address some systemic issues. Obviously to that (yet again new unprompted question) the answer is yes they can. For a parallel see how title IX addressed systemic gender inequity in girls sports.

Where in my statement did I state or imply there is NO racism? That is not from me. That is from you.
Your preamble of, “Many are claiming that systems are racist”, in context of your post implies that you don’t believe they are. But if I miss read and you agree with those many who are claiming that then I stand corrected.

Your preamble of, “Many are claiming that systems are racist”, in context of your post implies that you don’t believe they are. But if I miss read and you agree with those many who are claiming that then I stand corrected.
Read your statement again. You said no racism. You seem to think there is only no racism or systemic racism. Can there not be anything between those two absolutes?

Read your statement again. You said no racism. You seem to think there is only no racism or systemic racism. Can there not be anything between those two absolutes?

Ya that's not what he said. You twisted it 3 questions ago.

Many are claiming the systems are racist. It just needs to be understood who runs those systems and who has run those systems for 50+ years. If the system is racist it is because the democratic mayors, city councils, and police chiefs have been hiring racist cops and implementing racist policy. Who else would be to blame?

This is the question you posed that vikingsguy respond to, that you failed to address through your convulsions. It's absurd.

The amount of flipping phones w/ video capabilities makes it absolutely asinine for people to actually believe racism is a significant issue with law enforcement... If that was the case we would have hell of a lot more incidents!
The rarity of these incidents coming to light out of more than a million sworn law enforcement officers, who deal with people every day, every hour, every... You get the flipping idea!
This BS, "Only Black Lives Matter" is a bunch of horse crap! It is media frenzied and thriving off its own thirst for blood.

Statistics do not lie. Cameras are everywhere. If this is what some people want to claim as a systemic racist issue... It would be ever pressing! The whole conspiracy bit is a bunch of horse crap! The FBI statistics, the same as shared by JLS are a fact. Statistics are just that. Cameras are everywhere.

This is the question you posed that vikingsguy respond to, that you failed to address through your convulsions. It's absurd.
I posed the question to JLS and he did not answer. VikingsGuy chose to respond with a question with two wrong answers that did not pertain to my statement. You have inserted yourself. So please explain how systemic racism, if it does exist is not perpetuated by those running the system.

Many are claiming the systems are racist. It just needs to be understood who runs those systems and who has run those systems for 50+ years. If the system is racist it is because the democratic mayors, city councils, and police chiefs have been hiring racist cops and implementing racist policy. Who else would be to blame?

I posed the question to JLS and he did not answer. VikingsGuy chose to respond with a question with two wrong answers that did not pertain to my statement. You have inserted yourself. So please explain how systemic racism, if it does exist is not perpetuated by those running the system.
Stop it with your political pandering. If you think this will be solved by assigning blame to a party then you are wasting oxygen in this conversation.

The “War on Drugs” that developed during the presidency of Richard Nixon provides another example of the criminal justice system being used
Page 269
Suggested Citation:"7 Racial Bias and Disparities in Proactive Policing." National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2018. Proactive Policing: Effects on Crime and Communities. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. doi: 10.17226/24928.

in a way that disproportionately impacted non-White communities. As the federal government expanded the War on Drugs through the 1980s, the disparity in implementation manifested itself in two notable ways. First, Black people were arrested for drug use in proportions, as a percentage of group population, that were much higher than survey data on drug use would predict. By the early 1990s, Black adults made up only 13 percent of drug users (according to survey data) but constituted 40 percent of those arrested for drug violations (Langan, 1995).
Second, federal penalties for drug violations put in place by the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1986 were substantially more severe for drugs that Black people were more likely to use. In 1993, the National Household Survey on Drug Abuse found that 12 percent of White people over the age of 12 reported any lifetime use of cocaine, compared with 9.5 percent of Black and Latino people. The same survey found that cocaine in its processed, “crack” form was more popular among Black and Hispanic people than among White people: 3.4 percent of Black and 2.0 percent of Hispanic people over the age of 12 admitted to ever using crack cocaine, compared to 1.6 percent of White people. With little debate, the Anti-Drug Abuse Act imposed a 5-year mandatory minimum sentence for possession of only 5 grams of crack cocaine, while it imposed the same mandatory minimum punishment for possession of 500 grams of powder cocaine. Although the social settings of typical transactions for crack and powder cocaine are different and the faster absorption of processed crack cocaine leads to different consumption experiences (Nestler, 2005; National Institute on Drug Abuse, 2016), the 100:1 weight ratio in thresholds for punishment for crack and powder put in place in 1986 is difficult to justify using objective measures of social harm (Bobo and Johnson, 2004; Tonry and Melewski, 2008). Despite repeated recommendations by the U.S. Sentencing Commission to revise the crack quantity thresholds upward, to lessen the disparity between the sentencing scheme for the two forms of the drug, and several legislative efforts to mitigate the difference, Congress did not act to reduce the sentencing disparity between crack and powder cocaine until the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010.
Finally, the Violent Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1994, which itself contained no explicit mention of race, was enacted in the context of fears of “super-predators”: understood to be young people with “absolutely no respect for human life and no sense of the future,” who were overwhelmingly from “lack inner-city neighborhoods” (DiLulio, 1995). This law implemented mandatory life sentences for people convicted of serious federal crimes if they had previously been convicted of drug or violent offenses at the federal or state level. While race-neutral on their face, such repeat-offender sanctions and “three strikes” laws, which impose longer punishments on people who have had more frequent interactions with the
Page 270
Suggested Citation:"7 Racial Bias and Disparities in Proactive Policing." National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2018. Proactive Policing: Effects on Crime and Communities. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. doi: 10.17226/24928.

criminal justice system, have led to racial disparities in punishment. In part supported by federal funding programs designed to increase local policing, police departments serving cities with more than 250,000 people have more police per capita (around 22 per 1,000 people in 2014) than departments in other places (about 16 per 1,000 people in 2014) (U.S. Department of Justice, 2014). To the extent that the Black population of the United States is more likely to live in larger cities than the White population,3 Black people are more likely to come in contact with the police, all other things being equal, simply because they live in places where there are more police officers.

Democrat or Republican it doesn't matter. Whether it's Lousiana or Maryland the system was designed to incarcerate minorities.

Systemic racism is not about individuals being racist, though many keep parroting that argument. Systemic racism is a system that was set up many generations ago by racists, that people today disregard as the norm. Read a book.

Unlike some, I have zero GAF about politics in this. If your intentions are to ascribe apolitical blame. I’ll agree with you. If your intentions are to pick sides, then you’re just part of the continuing problem.

I have learned volumes about you in this one response alone.

Democrat or Republican it doesn't matter. Whether it's Lousiana or Maryland the system was designed to incarcerate law breakers.

Systemic racism is not about individuals being racist, though many keep parroting that argument. Systemic racism is a system that was set up many generations ago by racists, that people today disregard as the norm. Read a book.

Fixed it for you.

For you @Sytes.

Racial profiling exists, no doubt. To the extent OBLM and their media propaganda promotes... Far from the facts present.
To pretend it doesn't exist at a joe blow construction yard, Black Entertainment Television or cleaning crew would be someone lacking...

Statistics do not lie. Based on the quantity of sworn officers, it's statistically far from systemic.

I missed the word “systemic” in my quickly thumbed rhetorical question, so while my point was likely still clear to the good faith reader (as was yours frankly) you are literally correct. My rhetorical question still stands with this clarification.
As for your question, I am purposely not answering it because BigFin asked to keep party BS out of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back