A fishin' we will go!

wilecoyote76

There was a buzz at work that the steelhead run here in Idaho was getting good so we put a plan together to venture out. We piled 7 of us and all our gear up in my suburban and off we went. The 3 hour trip seemed daunting but after watching a few dvd's, we were there in no time. Well, there was one unexpected stop along the way but after a few of these trips, we'll just say it wasn't unexpected! :D

We must have picked the coldest dang day in recent weeks to go. I'm guessing the temps were in the upper teens which made the fish slow way down. We thought we were in for a great day when another co-worker hooked into a decent fish right from the get go only to break off. Here is a picture of me keeping IdahoBugler out of the rapids:

P1010192.jpg

I was next in line to legally catch one but since it was a native, we only had time for a quick picture and back in the water it went.

P1010200.jpg

IdahoBugler outfished us all (really no surprise there :) ) Here he is with two keepers. From previous reports, the ratio of native steelhead to hatchery fish caught was anywhere from 10:1 up to 15:1. IB landed two and both were hatchery steelies so he kept them.

P1010222.jpg

The next few pictures are disturbing to say the least. We work with another guy that will eat almost anything as long as it isn't nailed down. He had told us he was going to eat the fresh caught fish right there on the spot but with much restraint, we managed to hold him back from eating them raw. Trust me, he would have!

Both of IB's fish were hens, one with loose eggs ready to spawn and the other with skeins. Souk kept telling us he would eat fish eggs right from the fish and he wasn't kidding......

Here he is 'dressing' up some fresh skeins of eggs with a little soy sauce and lime juice (notice the loose eggs in the plastic bag he saves for later):

WARNING! The following pictures may leave you a bit uneasy and queasy.

P1010226.jpg

Let me remind you his bowl was loaded to the hilt and he ate every last popping egg. Most of us were not surprised he ate them but surprised he ate so damn much.

P1010227.jpg

P1010239.jpg

All in all, we had a great day on the water. It wasn't as productive as we would have liked but we made the best of it. The egg-eating incident was the cap to a great day. Time away from work and sharing good times with co-workers made the trip well worth it.

Nice post. I've caught a lot of steelies and salmon, but NEVER have I seen anyone or been tempted myself to eat salmonoid caviar. Did the guy want to do it or was it more of a dare? Either way, looked like a hella fun trip.

^@$^&@^& *&@*&#&@^# *&@#&@^# @#^@*^ *#*^&@ &@*&$# *&@#^& *&@*&# &*Bastages !!!!!! DON'T WORRY ABOUT INVITING ME................. NOOOOOOOOOOOO mOOSIE IS NNNNNEEEEVER UP FOR A TRIP LIKE THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!! :BLEEP: |oo |oo

^@$^&@^& *&@*&#&@^# *&@#&@^# @#^@*^ *#*^&@ &@*&$# *&@#^& *&@*&# &*Bastages !!!!!! DON'T WORRY ABOUT INVITING ME................. NOOOOOOOOOOOO mOOSIE IS NNNNNEEEEVER UP FOR A TRIP LIKE THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!! :BLEEP: |oo |oo
I would of invited you but.... you never do things on the spur of the moment. :rolleyes:

Actually remember our little talk about time off and needing to make sure you have enough time for all the hunting your going to do. Next year your in for sure. This trip is our annual Dave Fishers (Boss's Name) Fishing/Swimming trip. Appropriatly named because 3 years ago he hooked a fish and decided it was way to easy to reel it in so he decided to swim after it. :eek: He feel in and disappeared through the rapids for about 20 feet popped up and swam to the shore. We all couldn't believe what happened because we thought for sure he was dead. He makes it out and said dang it I got my wallet wet. :confused:

Here's another little thing about the guy that ate the eggs. I gave him one of the fish to eat. He told us not to clean it because he wants to eat the guts. :confused:

I'm probably going to regret this because it makes me look stupid. I have never been steelhead fishing so I don't know the answer.

How do you tell the difference between the native fish and the hatchery fish? Are they tagged or something?

I'm probably going to regret this because it makes me look stupid. I have never been steelhead fishing so I don't know the answer.

How do you tell the difference between the native fish and the hatchery fish? Are they tagged or something?

Not sure if it is the case in Idaho, but Alaska clips the adipose fin.

guppie9, IdahoMuleyMan said it best. The adipose fin is clipped at the hatchery to distinguish between the hatchery fish and native ones. If it has the adipose fin, let 'er go! At times, people catch fish where it appears the fin is clipped or half-clipped but release the fish to be on the safe side.

It's funny. Our boss actually packs a second set of clothes just in case he falls in. We aren't sure how he fell in the first time around because we were in awe at what had actually happened. It happened so fast. I then see IB running down the rocks on the bank waiting for him to surface. The funny thing is that he let go of his pole while under water but later had the cork handle of his pole bob up long enough to grab it and landed that very same fish that pulled him in earlier! Crazy, let me tell ya. We laugh about it every time we go out knowing the outcome could have been way worse.

We didn't dare Souk to eat the roe skeins. He knew he was going to eat some even before we caught any fish. We were hoping we would have caught a few males instead.... :eek:

Looks like fun any day of fishing(or hunting) is better than work.Have caught a few steelhead in Washington and Oregon but never in Idaho.What did you use bait?spinners?jig and bobber?Won't ask for locations I'm sure I can find some places to go.

Looks like fun any day of fishing(or hunting) is better than work.Have caught a few steelhead in Washington and Oregon but never in Idaho.What did you use bait?spinners?jig and bobber?Won't ask for locations I'm sure I can find some places to go.
We used a corky and yarn most of the time and imitation salmon eggs. Color didn't seem to matter since we caught each fish with a different color. The biggest steelhead in Idaho are caught up on the Clearwater. The most seem to be caught on the salmon river near Riggins. The river we were fishing here was the little salmon. The run is almost over and will start tappering off soon.

I would of invited you but.... you never do things on the spur of the moment. :rolleyes:

Actually remember our little talk about time off and needing to make sure you have enough time for all the hunting your going to do.

Wahtever.... You're still a Prick !!!! :BLEEP: :BLEEP:

But I get over stuff quick enuf so I'm over it :) :) I got invited o go in 2 weeks with a couple o' guys. I might take them up on it. It's seldom I take time off for fishing when I can use it for hunting but these guys got money and are fun to boot. 2 good combinations of people to hang out with and learn from :D

I'm tight this year big time with time off so I'm sure I might have passed. I also hate going with guys that will out do me in the entertainment department and the guy eating the Eggs and fish wins hands down. WOW !! :eek:

I'm tight this year big time with time off so I'm sure I might have passed. I also hate going with guys that will out do me in the entertainment department and the guy eating the Eggs and fish wins hands down. WOW !! :eek:
No way dude. You could of out done him easy. You would of just had to catch a male and eat his milk bags. That would of definitely done it. :eek:

Count me in, I would have done it ....except.... OHHH yah, Moosie wasn't Invited ... I'm back to pouting again ;)

Here is a pic a of a hen I caught last month on the south frok of the clear water in ID

Sorry for the big pic I dont know how to resize :confused:

Thats an awesome fish MC. Did you need to have drink to wash down that container of roe you had at the bottom of the picture? :)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back