8x or 10x

Summitthunting

I've recently become obsessed with upgrading my optics and was wondering what power binoculars everyone is using. I currently use 10x42 leupolds but I'm leaning towards getting some 8x42's for my next pair. I hunt western big game and will have a spotting scope in my pack. If you had $1000 to spend on binoculars what would you get?

Given that I always carry a big spotter, I did consider 8x. But I just couldn't give up 10x. So I carry 10x42 binos and a 20-60x85mm spotter. "The Hubble", as Dink calls it.

I would go with 10x personally. The older I get the more I appreciate higher powered optics...bino's, rifle scopes, spotting scope, etc.

10x42 Zeiss Conquests is what I would buy. I have the 8x version and wish I would have gone with the 10's on a lot of days.

I have a pair of the Leopold 8 by 42 Pentacles and 8 by 42 Nikon Monarch ATB both have served me well

i like the 10x.

i have found them to be about perfect for all hunting that requires binos. if i had to spend a $1000 i would buy the vortex razor 10x42. if it was my $ i would "settle" for the vortex viper hd's in same power for half that money! (i do own the viper hd's). i only buy vortex now as i am REALLY hard on optics and like there warranty.

I have 8x leupolds and love them. Use them primarily in eastern woodlands but also on my hunts out west. I have never felt under powered and would rather have the increased field of view. I had a hunter I admire tell me you want the objective divided by the power to equal 5. 8x40 ,or 10x50. To each his own look for a sale.

I use my 10x50's 90% of the time.
The 8x30's work best in dense stuff for me tho.
Spotter some times .

I have 10x. Lots of days I wish i had 12x. Gets to be a chore to hold steady enough with higher power though. This is the only reason i still have 10x and not 12x.

I have both, but prefer 8X most times. It really all depends on the distance I plan to do most of my glassing at. Anyone who hunts primarily east of the Mississippi really should consider 8X over 10X

I've used both, and here's my take on it. With the 8x binos I had, I had a better FOV and I could use them in an unbraced position much easier than my 10x.

The 10x obviously help me see more detail, but it's tougher to use them from an ubraced position for any length of period. I feel I get much more effectiveness out of the 10x if I sit down and brace my elbows on my knees.

The 8x were smaller and lighter. If I was always carrying a spotter I would tend to go towards the 8x. I don't carry a spotter all the time, and carry the 10x almost exclusively.

Also I would look at 15x Swarovski or zeiss instead of a spotter!. If you have never used this set up you just won't know how good it works!

1000 will not get you into 15x Swarovski or zeiss. I use the zeiss and they take a bit of time for your eyes to get use to if you don't use a tripod.

Antlerradar

I've used both, and here's my take on it. With the 8x binos I had, I had a better FOV and I could use them in an unbraced position much easier than my 10x.

The 10x obviously help me see more detail, but it's tougher to use them from an ubraced position for any length of period. I feel I get much more effectiveness out of the 10x if I sit down and brace my elbows on my knees.

The 8x were smaller and lighter. If I was always carrying a spotter I would tend to go towards the 8x. I don't carry a spotter all the time, and carry the 10x almost exclusively.

This.

10x since forever....but 8's are tempting for many of te aforementioned reasons.

10x50s have been my favorite for the last 15 years.

for a $1k budget, get some gently used swaros. You'll ask yourself why you didn't do it earlier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back