MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

8x or 10x

Depends on the type of terrain you hunt....If you hunt high country, many times a 10x50 bino is all you need since you can't glass further than a mile anyways. If you are hunting open country then the 8x will work, but then pack a spotter for your long glassing sessions.

Attachments

• Hubble.jpg
    Hubble.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 257
I have two 8's......an 8x20 pocket Swarovski ( worthless at dark-thirty ) and an 8x56 Swarovski.
The 8x56 is heavy and bulky but I can use them at dark-thirty whereas with others it would be too dark to see. I support it with a tall trekking pole but for sit down, long term glassing I mount it on a tripod. If I need to I attach a doubler it becomes a 16x56.

I had 10x42 but found that after a lot of glassing my eyes hurt. I switched to 8x42 and the problem went away. After I did this I asked on other forums and found that this is common when you have old eyes.

Get the best glass you can , it is easier to spend it now than spend it on another pair latter.

Briefly, in case you don't want to read much of my rambling below - If you want to glass big areas from a decent distance with your binoculars, get 10x. If your scope is great for that then go for 8x and have a wider FOV (~15-20% more area comparing same models) and more light gathering - ESPECIALLY if you hunt around trees. If you expect to hike in take only one set, stick with 10x.

My thoughts are that if you are here in the West you obviously need power to observe & glass when trying to find the animals. You have the spotting scope but that's for really reaching out or judging an animal, in my use. I personally have a hard time glassing for long periods with just a scope and I recently switched to the Big Eyes (15-20x binoculars for glassing) camp and bought a used Vortex 15x56 Kaibabs. Wow, the glass is great and it is so much more comfortable to glass with, and it has a much wider FOV than my Viper HD scope (220's vs 140') when the scope is at 15x. That's 148% as much square feet that you will see without having to move the optics.

Back to your question - 10x or 8x. I hunt with a 10x and enjoy it for glassing if I'm not using the 15x's but I have seen that wish I had a little more light coming through at dusk or dawn. 8xs will give you that when comparing the same objective (i.e., 42mm). Now that I have my 15x binos I will use them solely for glassing and got after the animals with my 10x's and a gun. In fact, I would probably prefer to hunt with 8xs if I know I've found my animals since I can see more and for more of the day. But if I have to hike out by myself into the boonies with just one set of optics, and compromise for weight's sake, I will take the 10x since they can both glass and stalk.

So, there is your answer. If you expect to glass and search much with your binos, go for the 10x. If you want to work in tight or dark quarters and use them when closing the deal, get 8x.

So, there is your answer. If you expect to glass and search much with your binos, go for the 10x. If you want to work in tight or dark quarters and use them when closing the deal, get 8x.
Bang on the money.
I hunt a lot in and around timber and we can start our hunt earlier and finish later, so 8x for me.
Cheers
Richard

you don't need binos, that what the riflescope is for......:mad:

It makes edgy when another hunter "scopes" me through the crosshairs.

10x42 with a good tripod. Putting them on a tripod makes a huge difference.

Give me 8x's with a tripod adapter personally.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back