Caribou Gear

7mm Rem Mag Cartridge

LukeMN28

I’m sure there’s a thread already, but curious what your favorite 7mm rem mag ammo is?

Browning XBolt Stainless Stalker 26” barrel, 1:9.5 twist
Mule Deer

So far:

1. Hates Hornady SST Superformance 154g - can’t get it to group whatsoever
2. Loves the cheap Federal Blue Box 150g (1.5” @ 200, 3” @ 300)

Might stick with the cheapo’s since they group so well -any other faves out there I should try? Was thinking Federal Premium Berger Hybrids (not a reloaded, sticking to factory ammo)

The Federal Blue box stuff seems to do well. If you're not bumping to something a bit bigger (elk, moose) it's tough to argue with the value. 160 Accubonds (Federal Premium) would be pretty high on my list along with 140gr TTSX.

I see Midway has Remington loaded TSX 140gr (on backorder) for $30/box. Might be worth a look

I do just fine with Federals in my Browning. Lately it’s been the 150 gr Power Shoks. Zero for 225 and you’re good to go.

Once those run out I’ll be switching to Federal Trophy Coppers if they shoot as well. I like the idea of getting the lead out.

Just picked up a used M70 Classic Stainless in 7mmRM. Prior owner said it liked 162 grain ELD-x over H4250. I haven't had time to try it yet.
IT too has a 26" 1-9.5. I picked up a box of Federal 175's to try.

If your a hand loader try the 150 partition or 160 accubond. I’ve had best luck with RL-22 and h4831

We have 5 different 7mm Rem mag guns in our group.
Browning, Ruger, Remington, Tikka and a Winchester Model 70. I have found that they are all different and each gun owner has a load for his 7 mag that the gun shoots well. The only gun that shoots everything well is the Tikka. The Remington likes most factory Barnes in 140-150 grain. The Winchester will not shoot those at all. The Winchester likes Federal Premium Trophy copper in 140 or 150. The Browning is only OK with some of the copper loads but not great with any. The Browning will shoot Nosler Accubonds well. The Ruger doesn't like anything factory, it only shoots hand loads well. Before changing to copper my Winchester liked Nosler Accubonds in 140 to 150 grain. I am the gun owner who has spent hundreds on ammo to find a load that my two 7 mags will shoot. The ammo I don't like I offer to the other 7 mag owners. That is how I know what each gun shoots well. The other owners love me since I make them unbelievable deals on ammo I can't shoot accurately.

Yes we used to handload and I have more supplies and tools than I can use. They are all going to my son so he can be the third generation to load. I will probably never load again. Not enough patience and just got tired of it.

There is no answer to what your gun will shoot well in factory ammo without you just buying a bunch and trying it. I never buy one box at a time. I always buy at least two boxes to test. If I shoot 5 from a box that is terrible I try another box. If it doesn't work then I buy another brand, bullet weight, or whatever change I think I want to shoot then repeat. Like I said I am the guy who has spent hundreds to get a decent load. If you don't load then that is what you have to do. Most loaders will shoot more rounds than they will admit to get the best performance they can get. I am not sure they develop a load any cheaper than you can by buying 5-10 different factory loads to test. Buying 100 bullets each in 2 to 3 different brands and weights then 2 to 3 different powders then a couple different primers is what most loaders do because they are trying to get the best they can and think something different will be better. Been there and done that. It is either something you like or don't like but it is not cheap.

My Remington 700 SPS DM likes Federal Fusion 150gr. No experience shooting animals with it though, just targets. I also load 150gr Sierra MatchKing HPBT over IMR 4350 powder. I've stretched those loads out to targets at 700 meters.

I use HSM's 168 Berger VLDs. Out of Tikka, I get half-minute groups, and everything they've ever been fired at reacted like it was struck by lightning, whether it's pronghorn, elk, bear, deer, etc. They do run on the pricier side ($50/box), but I found that Remington's Premier Accutip's in 150gr loadings shoot nearly identical out to 500 yards for practice purposes, and they run about $30 a box the last time I bought any. I would get in to hand loading, but I'd honestly be trying to reconstruct HSM's factory loading based on the performance I get out of it.

My Savage likes 160 AB handloads and 154 gr SST factories.

My new rifle is loving the 162 gr ELD-X Precision Hunters and the 150gr Federal Fusions.

All the handloading nonsense does not apply. The OP said factory ammo. If the cheap ammo shoots well, then use it! Hornady SST bullets suck anyway. Hornady American Whitetail ammo is good, as is some of their other offerings. If you are going to only shoot targets, or deer/antelope, it does not matter anyway, as long as your rifle puts the bullets where you want them. If elk is on the menu, I generally would look more toward a premium bullet of some type.

Keep it simple.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back