Caribou Gear

Bullets for 7mm Rem Mag 1-9 1/2 twist

WVmike

I've currently been reloading for my 7mm Rem Mag Weatherby Vanguard with a 26 inch barrel 1-9 1/2" twist. I just got into reloading last year and it has proven to be a fun endeavor but also a never ending pursuit of tighter and tighter groups and figuring out which bullet the barrel likes. I originally reloaded with Hornady 150 gr GMX bullets with 49 gr IMR 4350 (proved to be my best load). I have multiple 3 shot groups at 100 yards that were under .65 MOA with the smallest at .508 MOA. So I would say that my rifle loved those. I have about 20 of those left so I went ahead and picked up more bullets, but since they no longer make the GMX, I believe it's the CX now, I bought 150 gr ELD-X. I haven't gotten anywhere near the results with them but this was also reinforced when I used my 7mm during rifle season here in WV and missed 4 out of five shots that I fired with the rifle. 1st shot missed was at around 325 yards (hit about 6 inches low dead center) which was also one of the biggest bucks I've seen on the farm in my life. The last 3 shots were at 300 yards give or take a few yards following shots at a doe in the hayfield while looking over the field with my son one evening. These 3 shots were mystery shots to me because I could see no splash from the bullet what so ever which was extremely frustrating. Ranged the target and shot off my pack in the prone position all 4 shots. My question is does anyone just buy a box of 50 bullets that they want to try then if they don't like it just hang on to them for plinking/practice. I still have almost 40 rounds of ELD-x loads. I've really been looking at the barnes ttx or something of a similar design to the Hornady GMX that I used originally with good results. Any input is appreciated.

POI will change when you change bullets. You have to start over with your loads with new bullets

The CX is supposedly similar bullet with the new high temp tip but you'll want to start over with load development
That's what I was assuming. It's like playing the lottery, determining which bullet the barrel will like. It may hate them then you have 40 rounds left that would be good for 100 yards in or it may love them and you could shoot for days.

Are you sure the Vangard is 1:9.5?

My Mark V is 1:10. I know, different rifles.
Not sure if Howa, or Weatherby supplies the barrels on the Vangard.

My Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag likes the 150gr ABLR over 60+gr of RL26.

As with your shooting, you gotta verify your drops at longer ranges (600-800 yards).
Some bullets tend to shoot low.
The ABLRs tend to shoot high.

Are you sure the Vangard is 1:9.5?

My Mark V is 1:10. I know, different rifles.
Not sure if Howa, or Weatherby supplies the barrels on the Vangard.

My Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag likes the 150gr ABLR over 60+gr of RL26.

As with your shooting, you gotta verify your drops at longer ranges (600-800 yards).
Some bullets tend to shoot low.
The ABLRs tend to shoot high.
It's a 1:9.5 barrel and it's got the Howa markings on the barrel. I'll probably just try to get some that are comparable to the Hornady GMX to see if it likes that bullet design the same. Like I said, I've been looking at the barnes and I even saw a deal on some sierra bullets in .284 the other day that I may try. I was originally wanting to try some Nosler Accubond but those are like finding dinosaur bones at this point. I'm also going to be going between IMR 4350 and 4831 as well. These seem to be the ones I can get reliably from the local gunshop that I buy my powder from.

Easy to measure. Just need a tight jag & patch, Sharpie pen and tape measure. My method is something like this.

It's a 1:9.5 barrel and it's got the Howa markings on the barrel. I'll probably just try to get some that are comparable to the Hornady GMX to see if it likes that bullet design the same. Like I said, I've been looking at the barnes and I even saw a deal on some sierra bullets in .284 the other day that I may try. I was originally wanting to try some Nosler Accubond but those are like finding dinosaur bones at this point. I'm also going to be going between IMR 4350 and 4831 as well. These seem to be the ones I can get reliably from the local gunshop that I buy my powder from.
Wait....
Where, exactly have you found Sierra's??

Last time I checked they had them in .284 on opticsplanet but I have since checked again and they are on backorder for 8-10 months. So I look into the Barnes and Hammer bullets.
Yeah, i'm a solid pass on the Barnes bullets!

If Hammers are readily available, grab em!

And as @FruitSnackFreak says, the 168gr Berger VLD & 7mm Rem Mag were made for each other!

Your in WV. Your not required to use mono bullets there.

My 7pt PA buck made it 5ft after getting hit by a 150gr ABLR at 50 yards.

For the most part I suspect most people over think twist rate. When I had my 6.5x06 done I wanted to shoot 140gr Nosler part. I checked and was told I'd need a 1-8" twist. Fouled up somewhere and ended up with a 1-9" twist. Broke the rifle in,sort of, with 140gr Hornady interlocks. Hornady told me they would not stabilize but I already had a bunch so used them anyway. Got right at 3/4" groups at 100yds with them. Not bad for a hunting bullet that won't stabilize! Switched to 140gr Nosler part's and point of impact did not change and groupo size stayed the same. I can only wonder how well that rifle would shoot with the proper twist! oh, tried some 140gr Sierra MK's for long range just for kicks. At 100yds I was getting dependable 1/2" groups. So much for twist! I think should I want to go to heavier bullet's in it, then maybe twist might need some more though! But this rifle with the wrong twist has counted for a good number of deer and three elk, all with one shot farthest shot being something over 200 yds. At paper target's it did 3" groups for 5 shots at 500 yds with 140gr Sierra MK's. Well that kind of blows away my twist rate theory!

Point is your not gonna know how your rifle will handle a bullet until you try the bullet! I think the thing I've found most over the years is that us reloederss tend to over think most things! We want a cartridge good enough for hunting and presue one good enough for target shooting, go figure!

I was fishing with some friends on a remote river in Alaskla years ago and standing on a sand bar noticed a bear foot print quite a bit larger than mine. Only rifle I took up with me was my 308 so I worked up a load for it to defend against that bear! My normal load with 165gr didn't seem that well suited so I worked up a 180gr load and it shot as well as the 165gr load, sub 1" at 100yds. Well figured if 180gr would work, 200gr would be better so worked up a 200gr load. best it would shoot was right at 2" at 100yds. the fix was a simple one, I re-tested it at 25yds and it was fine! My guess was that the 308 would not stablise the 200gr bullet so group grew at 100 yds. On the other hand if I was actually attacked, the shot would be much closer so sighted in closer and it seemed to work.

Easy to measure. Just need a tight jag & patch, Sharpie pen and tape measure. My method is something like this.

Pretty interesting. I do it a bit different when I do it, seldom any more! I start the rod from the barrel end with a wire brush. mark the rod at the barrel on top of the rod. Then pull the rod out one full turn from the mark and when the top comes up, mark at the barrel again. measure between the two and it's rate of twist. haven't done it in a lot of years now though. Unless your fooling with drastic weight changes I have developed the idea that twist rate is mostly over thinking things! Probably be good to know firing a 70gr bullet with a 223 but, easy way around that is fire the 70gr bullet from a 243! If you think you would like a 200gr bullet to shoot something, don't get a 30-30!

Take it for what it's worth. My 7mm, 26 inch 1-9 barrel shoots the 150 ttsx and 160 accubond, well. Not factory ammo, hand loads. Going to try hammers once I get closer to running out of the bullets I have.

Yeah, i'm a solid pass on the Barnes bullets!

If Hammers are readily available, grab em!

And as @FruitSnackFreak says, the 168gr Berger VLD & 7mm Rem Mag were made for each other!

Your in WV. Your not required to use mono bullets there.

My 7pt PA buck made it 5ft after getting hit by a 150gr ABLR at 50 yards.
I'm researching to see what I can find and use. I haven't looked at berger bullets. Just frustrating to put the time in and test the loads and the rifle doesn't like them. I used my old trusty .264 after the 7mm wasn't doing what I was wanting it to and I shot an 8 point from 150 yards at an incline and hit it right where I was trying to. First shot was right behind the right shoulder which hit both lungs. Walked up the hill to check and see if he was lying at the top of the hill and he was lying and watching me walk up the hill. He got up and ran and stopped at about 75 yards in an opening, shot again. Hit the ground then popped his head up again, shot again. All 3 shots were right behind the same shoulder with the lungs and heart mush at that point. I used factory 140 gr remington .264 rounds. This rifle has consistently been the most reliable rifle I've used.

These are available at Midway right now. Personally love Barnes and have used them exclusively for over 20 years. Would like to try Hammers, but have way too many boxes of Barnes on the shelf to make the switch.

These are available at Midway right now. Personally love Barnes and have used them exclusively for over 20 years. Would like to try Hammers, but have way too many boxes of Barnes on the shelf to make the switch.
Just wondering. If Barnes have been working for 20 yrs why are you considering changing?

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back