Caribou Gear Tarp

Bullets for 7mm Rem Mag 1-9 1/2 twist

Just wondering. If Barnes have been working for 20 yrs why are you considering changing?
Probably won't change, primarily because I really like the "one" projectile traveling through my future dinner and not the ancillary projectiles in addition. That, and the fact that I have probably 50-60 boxes of Barnes in various calibers and weights on the shelf. Might try Hammers if I acquire something that don't already have bullets on the shelf, like building a 35 Whelen.

Probably won't change, primarily because I really like the "one" projectile traveling through my future dinner and not the ancillary projectiles in addition. That, and the fact that I have probably 50-60 boxes of Barnes in various calibers and weights on the shelf. Might try Hammers if I acquire something that don't already have bullets on the shelf, like building a 35 Whelen.
I think you may have a misconception of how the Hammers & Cutting Edge bullets work.

The whole bullet will make 1 entrance hole.
After about 1 inch the petals will open up & break off, radiating outwards in hopefully the vitals.
The broken off petals lose energy rather quickly.

The jagged edged base of the projectile keeps going creating the single exit wound.

Being with friends that use the Cutting Edge MTH bullets, the internal damage is massive!
We have only seen ONCE, where ONE of the petals actually made it to and through the ribs on the other side of the deer.
Cartridges used were 7mm-08 & 30-06 at distances from 35 feet to about 70 yards.

I think you may have a misconception of how the Hammers & Cutting Edge bullets work.

The whole bullet will make 1 entrance hole.
After about 1 inch the petals will open up & break off, radiating outwards in hopefully the vitals.
The broken off petals lose energy rather quickly.

The jagged edged base of the projectile keeps going creating the single exit wound.

Being with friends that use the Cutting Edge MTH bullets, the internal damage is massive!
We have only seen ONCE, where ONE of the petals actually made it to and through the ribs on the other side of the deer.
Cartridges used were 7mm-08 & 30-06 at distances from 35 feet to about 70 yards.
I am aware of the design concept of those bullets, and realize the difference between 1 and 5 projectiles. Like I said, I may try them in the future but not in a caliber that I already have 200 Barnes bullets of various weights.

IIRC, my Mashburn is a 9.5 twist. Likes heavy for caliber Scenars loaded to fit the well.

l would switch powders if you can, l have never had a magnum round like imr 4350. l think that it burns a bit to fast. l think that hammer bullets will ship 15 or so bullets just to try so you don't have the whole box laying around. also have you tried tweaking your oal... when l start building a load l start with 1 charge of powder with 4 messurments starting .005 off the lands then graduating to .040, .080, then .120 has worked very well for me. lt depends on what you are hunting but if it is just whitetail deer, l would not look at harder bullets like the all coppers, interbonds, or even the barnes, they tend to just punch through without expanding.

l would switch powders if you can, l have never had a magnum round like imr 4350. l think that it burns a bit to fast. l think that hammer bullets will ship 15 or so bullets just to try so you don't have the whole box laying around. also have you tried tweaking your oal... when l start building a load l start with 1 charge of powder with 4 messurments starting .005 off the lands then graduating to .040, .080, then .120 has worked very well for me. lt depends on what you are hunting but if it is just whitetail deer, l would not look at harder bullets like the all coppers, interbonds, or even the barnes, they tend to just punch through without expanding.
I'm looking at IMR 4831 and I had just started tinkering with the oal. The best group I shot was with the GMX 150 gr at the the recommended oal. I just don't think the rifle likes the eld-x which is a bummer.

I'm looking at IMR 4831 and I had just started tinkering with the oal. The best group I shot was with the GMX 150 gr at the the recommended oal. I just don't think the rifle likes the eld-x which is a bummer.
l havn't had great success with the eldx ether, imr 4831 should do well.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back