Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

65 sharp-tailed grouse

MT_elk

Another sad account of just plain stupidness!

Arizona Man Pleads Guilty to Possession of 65 Grouse in Phillips County

Mernice P. Alkire (72) of Mesa, Ariz. was charged with violations involving unlawful possession of game birds, waste of game birds, and taking an over limit of game birds in Phillips County. Alkire was found with 65 sharp-tailed grouse in his possession.

FWP game wardens from Region 6 conducted a search warrant, revealing the over possession limit of grouse and waste of game bird violations. The legal possession limit for sharp-tails is 16.

“With such a gross over possession limit, many opportunities were taken away from the hunting public,” said Malta-area warden Ben Morin.

Alkire plead guilty to $605 in fines and $825 in restitution. He also lost his privileges to hunt and trap for 24 months in Montana and all 48 states that are members of the Interstate wildlife Violator Compact.

Bird hunters are reminded to look at current regulations for the daily and possession limits for the species they are hunting.

Hunters also must retain identification on game birds that are harvested while being transported, or until they have reached the permanent residence of the processor. For sharp-tailed grouse, sage grouse, mountain grouse, and Hungarian partridge, a wing must remain naturally attached. Pheasants must have one leg naturally attached for proper identification.

He's a drop in the bucket, IMO.

There's quite a few NR guys who bring big RV's up to MT and stay from September through October or later. I know they don't eat 4 sharptail every day...

if its

if its the same guy I saw when I was up there, he's lucky that's all they caught him with. When I was up there I stayed at the camp ground along the river and there was an older guy that had a camper parked with 10 or so pointers lined out around his camper. had been there since opener, shot a limit everyday, wasn't leaving till it froze solid.

sad thing is, this will probably just make others like him leave birds in the field.

theres a guy parked in plentywood does the same thing, big bunch of dogs posts on the internet about killing his limit of sharptails and phesant everyday, one single guy, hes not eating all those birds, maybe feeding to dogs or ? giving them to the locals everyday,
doubt he has ever been checked by an LE, dont want to mess with millionares when there are plenty of poor people to check

Heard this story repeated all across the Hi-Line for years. These pigs abuse some of the best Block Management upland lands in the process, as part of a complaint I filed with Helena FWP LE division several years ago. Hopefully, FWP puts a case on more of them.

It seems to me that the fines levied and the 2 year suspension of his license was a slap on the wrist. There are lots of guys with deep pockets that think they're above the law and bag limits don't apply to them. And it's not only birds, it's big game as well.

Lots of complaining, and warranted. Anyone taking the time to call TIPS?

yep I have called,
I have lived in the area 8 years and only seen a warden one time, they must be pretty sneaky

So...$1430 in fines...that's $22/bird.

My wife and I shot our first sharptails this year. Non resident licenses for 2 people were $20/day each. So day one we only got one grouse and it cost $40 (actually more if you figure in the cost of the conservation stamp). The second day we did much better.

This jackass got off way too easy.

yep I have called,
I have lived in the area 8 years and only seen a warden one time, they must be pretty sneaky

Not sure how that is even possible? If you drop down to CMR you should see them just riding about. Hell I was way, way into a WIHA and a drop dead gorgeous female biologist came and tracked me down to give me tips on where to find a sage grouse, and just to check on the mental health of a guy from Louisiana being up there for upland birds. I honestly thought it could've been a setup from my wife:D

So...$1430 in fines...that's $22/bird.

My wife and I shot our first sharptails this year. Non resident licenses for 2 people were $20/day each. So day one we only got one grouse and it cost $40 (actually more if you figure in the cost of the conservation stamp). The second day we did much better.

This jackass got off way too easy.

$22/bird is what preserve upland birds go for in some areas, the guy found a bargain hunt.

If I'm reading the rules correctly,if the guy had made a trip into town and given away birds a couple times a week he could have shot the same number of birds and been completely legal.

If you give away birds does it have to be to someone with a hunting license? Lets say I shoot 45 dove and give them away to my wife who doesn't have a hunting license and then go shoot 45 more. (with a max of 15 per day of course) Is that legal?

Last edited:
What I was wondering is at what point in processing is it a game animal and at what point is it summer sausage or some other heavily processed item not just a smoke breast.

Back