6.5?

Addicting

I have a bunch of .264 140g Accubonds that need a new caliber. Ok, I need a new caliber for this winters project. I also have 8lbs of RL22 that needs to get a purpose.

Been thinking about building a Winchester 70 in 6.5 PRC as I can get a controlled round feed WSM action pretty cheaply.

Or just sticking with a Remington 700 SS LA and doing a 6.5-284 Norma.

Both ballistics are near the same and each have pluses wand minus. This will replace my Creedmoor as a lightweight mountain type rifle.

Not interested in a debate on any other calibers or bashing 6.5s. Let’s keep this discussion to the Actions and cartridges.

Last edited:
6.5x284 has longevity and large following. 6.5PRC is new however seems to be gaining a lot of traction especially now that other companies are making brass. I'd wager the 2 actions are likely similar in weight. The Rem700 holds major advantage for aftermarket availability.

My vote goes Rem700 6.5x284

-PRC for more zip and factory options (probably easier resale too depending on how you do it up)
-6.5x284 for cool factor and you reload anyway

I'd lean 6.5x284 in a mountain gun, 'cause recoil is no fun and if you're building a lightweight to replace a creed I wouldn't burn any more powder than you feel you need to. Just my take.

If your going long action anyway why not go .264 win mag or 6.5-300.

The .264 win mag is a fun one quiver rifle.

I’m pretty well set on the two calibers listed. 140g at 2950-3000 FPS is enough for me. It will kill anything I hunt out to my short range comfort zone.

I guess my argument why build a rifle in 6.5 that is only ~100 fps faster than a 6.5 you already own.

but of the two I would go 6.5x284.

I guess my argument why build a rifle in 6.5 that is only ~100 fps faster than a 6.5 you already own.

but of the two I would go 6.5x284.

It’s about two things. The Creedmoor is just not quite enough for elk. I’ve killed 3 with it and it left me wanting a cleaner kill. At the muzzle those accubonds are traveling at 2750fps generating 2351 ft lbs of energy.

The other two cartridges are buzzing along around 2950+ which generates 2705 of energy. I think extra energy will do what I am looking for in a light weight platform with out the need for a brake.

Reason two is I have two Creedmoors with two very different chambers. I don’t like having two different hand loads in the same caliber. So if I sell one and build this the problem is solved.

I have a bunch of .264 140g Accubonds that need a new caliber. Ok, I need a new caliber for this winters project. I also have 8lbs of RL22 that needs to get a purpose.

Been thinking about building a Winchester 70 in 6.5 PRC as I can get a controlled round feed WSM action pretty cheaply.

Or just sticking with a Remington 700 SS LA and doing a 6.5-284 Norma.

Both ballistics are near the same and each have pluses wand minus. This will replace my Creedmoor as a lightweight mountain type rifle.

Not interested in a debate on any other calibers or bashing 6.5s. Let’s keep this discussion to the Actions and cartridges.

Why waste a LA on a SA case? I'd go 6.5-06 or the AI version. RL22 may not be the best choice for either of those tho. If you go .284 case use a SA unless you already have the LA. JMO.

BTW you don't need a new caliber, but you do need/want a new case.

Why waste a LA on a SA case? I'd go 6.5-06 or the AI version. RL22 may not be the best choice for either of those tho. If you go .284 case use a SA unless you already have the LA. JMO.

I'd give the opposite advice on action length. the 6.5x284 is gunna want a long action if you really want to load those heavy for caliber bullets out where they should be at (3.xxx)

A 6.5-06AI would be a sweet rig for sure.

I have done the 06 route before just don’t want to do it this time. Not that there is anything wrong with it, just want to go a different way.

I’m not sold that with accubonds will fit into a Remington Mag well without feed problems in a SA.

@TimeOnTarget what is yours and how does it feed?

I have done the 06 route before just don’t want to do it this time. Not that there is anything wrong with it, just want to go a different way.

I’m not sold that with accubonds will fit into a Remington Mag well without feed problems in a SA.

@TimeOnTarget what is yours and how does it feed?

I have a Rem 700 SA in .25/.284 but use it as a single shot. Your issue may be that the best COL for the 140 grainers might be too long for a SA.

I'd give the opposite advice on action length. the 6.5x284 is gunna want a long action if you really want to load those heavy for caliber bullets out where they should be at (3.xxx)

A 6.5-06AI would be a sweet rig for sure.

I've got 2 of the 6.5-06 and a 6.5-06AI.

It’s about two things. The Creedmoor is just not quite enough for elk. I’ve killed 3 with it and it left me wanting a cleaner kill. At the muzzle those accubonds are traveling at 2750fps generating 2351 ft lbs of energy.

If you think 6.5cm is light for elk, I would go up to .280 Rem or .284 Win in Long Action.

If you think 6.5cm is light for elk, I would go up to .280 Rem or .284 Win in Long Action.

I already have a 7mm Mag. I think that is a good elk round. But a close to the truck elk round. It can in right at 10 lbs. you definitely know difference carrying the two. I want this one to come in 7 lbs -7.5 optic finished bracket.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back