6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC

The 6.5PRC Will bur your barrel up faster than a 6.5-284Norma. Only bringing that up because you seemed concerned that the 6.5-284 Norma.

I would choose the 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 if the action I was using had the length. 6.5-06 would be preferred. If your action of choice is too short, then the 6.5PRC is an excellent cartridge.

Last edited:
Flip a coin. Having owned both the 6.5-284 and the 6.5 prc the prc will be slightly faster. I wouldn’t worry one but about the prc oal issue. Factory reamer is setup correctly so the oal is a non issue. Though neither are going to make things more dead then your Swede or creedmoor did

You're not wrong. The fact that it's a barrel burner has given me pause. I've been toying with the idea of a .280AI as well, but I don't think barrel life would be much better. That said, using it mainly for hunting, and occasionally for plinking, say 100 or so rounds/year, I should hopefully get at least 7-10 years of life out of it before it needs a rebarrel.
280AI barrel life would be SLIGHTLY better than 6.5-284 barrel life.

6.5-284 1205gr H2O/in^2
280AI 1153gr H20/in^2

That’s not huge. 4.5% improvement in case capacity to bore area ratio might yield an 8-10% improvement in barrel life. F-class shooters were getting 900-1200 shots when the 6.5-284 was popular. Hunters could get a little more based on lower accuracy requirements and less strenuous shot strings.

Last edited:
My 6.5x284 is my favorite rifle, for what that's worth!
AND Lapua Brass has been easy to find.

Last edited:
Well shot my 260 with Speer 120gr HC's yesterday. 48.0 grs RL-19 in Win case's and Herter 120 primer's gave me a three shot, two hole group of 3/8" at 100yds! Gonna have to try that again!

My buddy shoots the 6.5-284 in an older Cooper. It is impressive. He handloads 143 ELDX over 4831 I believe. He killed the biggest elk of a lifetime last year at 400+ yds. It shoots groups of 3 at 1/4" MOA.

You're not wrong. The fact that it's a barrel burner has given me pause. I've been toying with the idea of a .280AI as well, but I don't think barrel life would be much better. That said, using it mainly for hunting, and occasionally for plinking, say 100 or so rounds/year, I should hopefully get at least 7-10 years of life out of it before it needs a rebarrel.
Nah 280AI'd last you a while.

Per the original question, I think the Norma gets the nod from me.

How do the .284 cases stack in a magazine not originally designed for it? That would be the concern for me. The 6.5-.284 and the 6.5-06 are essentially ballistic twins [loading data can be interchangeable as well] but if you want to make use of the heavier bullets you likely will need the long action anyway.

I've never thought of the 6.5x284 as a barrel burner, especially any more than the other cartridges listed here. For sure it will last as long as the 280ai.
As you said, if it's a hunting rifle, you ought to get a good decade of shooting.
I'm planning on mine outlasting me, but I'm kinda old!

I have two 260 AI firearms. A 700 Remington mountain rifle in 260 AI and my XP100 in 260 AI. Both print very small groups. Have taken many game animals on three continents with my 700 260AI as it is my go to rifle. MTG

I've been working up Hammer loads for 6.5 Weatherby RPM and I'm impressed as hell. Prepare to bleed for brass or ammo though.

The 6.5PRC Will bur your barrel up faster than a 6.5-284Norma. Only bringing that up because you seemed concerned that the 6.5-284 Norma.

I would choose the 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 if the action I was using had the length. 6.5-06 would be preferred. If your action of choice is too short, then the 6.5PRC is an excellent cartridge.

Why would barrel life be any different? They are within like 1 grain h20 capacity.

My thoughts, they are functionally the same. They both come in lapua brass but i'd expect the PRC to be easier to find. I'd pick whichever one you feel will feed best in your desired platform as they are both kind of oddballs in that regard. PRC is long for a short action unless they've accounted for it appropriately in the mag box design. x284 is worse yet if put in a short action and also has a rebated rim that historically had occasional negatives when it came to feeding. Assume Christensen uses a long action for x284?

That said, i think you picked the two best options. No reason to go for a wildcat with inferior case design when those two are available.

Last edited:
I have 2, 6.5-284’s they are so awesome! I will probably build a custom one.
That being said, I got a 6.5-300 Whby Mag in an auction. And dang it’s a freaking lazer!!!! But lots of powder and barrels! 😂
Matt

Ahhh, .264 Win Mag....
The Original barrel burner!

I was going to suggest the Weatherby 6.5 RPM also.
Factory rifles.
Essentially a lengthened 284 Win case.
I'd be kinda surprised if Weatherby didn't release their new 307 action in that chambering.

Ahhh, .264 Win Mag....
The Original barrel burner!

I was going to suggest the Weatherby 6.5 RPM also.
Factory rifles.
Essentially a lengthened 284 Win case.
I'd be kinda surprised if Weatherby didn't release their new 307 action in that chambering.
I don’t know why, but that case design intrigues me.

Back