Yeti GOBOX Collection

6.5?

I already have a 7mm Mag. I think that is a good elk round. But a close to the truck elk round. It can in right at 10 lbs. you definitely know difference carrying the two. I want this one to come in 7 lbs -7.5 optic finished bracket.
I gathered that, which is why I proposed 280 Rem and not 7mmRemMag (or even AI). .280Rem has sufficiently less kick than RemMag so can be a very good choice in a lighter rifle. The the 6.5s are great too.

I gathered that, which is why I proposed 280 Rem and not 7mmRemMag (or even AI). .280Rem has sufficiently less kick than RemMag so can be a very good choice in a lighter rifle. The the 6.5s are great too.

Ahh, I am a big fan of the .280 Ackley and someday there will be one in the safe.

A new local Smith quoted me $2300 for a 6.5-284 Rem 700 SS LA in a AG carbon fiber stock, Timney, Benchmark barrel with a .5 MOA guarantee. That’s a hard price to beat for a custom/package deal. If you want his # for your build let me know.

Ahh, I am a big fan of the .280 Ackley and someday there will be one in the safe.

A new local Smith quoted me $2300 for a 6.5-284 Rem 700 SS LA in a AG carbon fiber stock, Timney, Benchmark barrel with a .5 MOA guarantee. That’s a hard price to beat for a custom/package deal. If you want his # for your build let me know.
That sounds interesting - PM me his contact info and keep us all informed as to how well he does on yours.

That sounds interesting - PM me his contact info and keep us all informed as to how well he does on yours.

Not sure if he gets the job or not. He can definitely talk the talk and is impressive on the phone. I met him thru my buddy who took his Pre 64 there to turn it into a .280AI. If I am not mistaken he is a MT Native who just move here to be closer to his wife’s family. Let me know what you think after you talk to him.

Next week I am going to head to his shop to see his work.

Last edited:
I looked into that a year ago and it's pretty common. aka 6.5 Leopard. I could ask my contact at Redding about dies if you were serious. Most say that it's hard on barrels. My friend who makes match bullets uses a .25 x .270 WSM

I wondered about barrel life. I would imagine it’s up in that 3200+ FPS bracket. I think for now I will stay with 6.5-284 Norma as it seems to have the best components and data available.

This tread got me looking into 6.5, there are a lot of great choices out there.

Since you don’t want to go 6.5-06 I’d do 6.5 saum or 6.5-280 Ackley

6.5 280 Ackley?? I would imagine that’s back up in the 3200 FPS and eating barrels up. But you have my interest, going to have to bust out the google machine.

Ok, google said it’s the king of non magnums. I saw it next to a 284 cartridge. Almost indistinguishable from a 280AI. Seeing I will be loading Derek’s soon, too much of a chance of mixed up ammo. I will stick with the 284.

I did find this over on accurate shooter and I got to share. This is from one of the first 3 6.5-280ai built.

“I guess Chub didn't fancy the THE name any more than I did because his barrel is marked 6.5 Blowhole Express.

My barrel had more character by half because my chamber designation is .264 Brainfart Express.” Lol

Ok, google said it’s the king of non magnums. I saw it next to a 284 cartridge. Almost indistinguishable from a 280AI. Seeing I will be loading Derek’s soon, too much of a chance of mixed up ammo. I will stick with the 284.

I did find this over on accurate shooter and I got to share. This is from one of the first 3 6.5-280ai built.

“I guess Chub didn't fancy the THE name any more than I did because his barrel is marked 6.5 Blowhole Express.

My barrel had more character by half because my chamber designation is .264 Brainfart Express.” Lol

.264 SUPERSONICSONOFABITCH

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back