Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

6.5 Man Bun game changer? 156g Berger EOL

Dsnow9

6.5 mm Creedmoor 156 Grain Extreme Outer Limits (EOL) Elite Hunter

Has anyone hunted with this round yet? I have always hunted with the hornady precision hunter 143g but wanted to get a little heavier bullet.

Yes I’ve hunted w them, great bullet. Not really a game changer in a 6.5 creed, Better off w a 140-147 in a CM. These bullets really shine in long action mags 6.5x300 wby .26 nosler, etc. anything you gain in bc you lose in velocity. Coal can be a problem. For example.

6.5 cm w 156 @ 2.8 coal

6EFE453B-C005-4FE1-8D3D-8FFC03BDFA50.jpeg

6.5 cm w rl 16 140 elite hunter @ 2.8 coal

51C8C718-1A1A-42DA-9B37-A94C17BBC497.jpeg

if it’s all you can find or got they will kill things fo sho

Last edited:
Yes I’ve hunted w them, great bullet. Not really a game changer in a 6.5 creed, Better off w a 140-147 in a CM. These bullets really shine in long action mags 6.5x300 wby .26 nosler, etc. anything you gain in bc you lose in velocity. Coal can be a problem. For example.

6.5 cm w 156 @ 2.8 coal

View attachment 177347

6.5 cm w rl 16 140 elite hunter @ 2.8 coal

View attachment 177348

if it’s all you can find or got they will kill things fo sho

Thanks! I got a few boxes and will definitely fill the need for this year if I can’t get others. I guess I just assumed a bigger bullet would have more energy under say 400. I guess I should have looked that up before. I have a couple boxes of 147 gr hornady precision hunters but not enough to shoot this summer and hunt. I guess time will tell!

Last edited:
Thanks! I got a few boxes and will definitely fill the need for this year if I can’t get others. I guess I just assumed a bigger bullet would have more energy under say 400. I guess I should have looked that up before. I have a couple boxes of 143 gr hornady precision hunters but not enough to shoot this summer and hunt. I guess time will tell!

I know some guys out there are running rl26 and getting mid/high 2700’s, I think at that point the 156 would probably take the 140/147’s by a bit but really all in all it’s splitting hairs between those bullets in that caliber. The 156 are designed to be ultra heavy/ultra high bc for caliber longer range hunting bullets. They will perform great at closer ranges, I would keep em off the shoulder especially on bigger game.

FWIW Berger says that the 156 EOL will be marginally stable using the common 1:8 twist found in most Creedmoors. As mentioned you're probably better off with a lighter bullet for the Creedmoor.

FWIW Berger says that the 156 EOL will be marginally stable using the common 1:8 twist found in most Creedmoors. As mentioned you're probably better off with a lighter bullet for the Creedmoor.
I have a 1:7 in a 28” barrel, says I will be stable. 🤞🏼

6.5 mm Creedmoor 156 Grain Extreme Outer Limits (EOL) Elite Hunter

Has anyone hunted with this round yet? I have always hunted with the hornady precision hunter 143g but wanted to get a little heavier bullet.
I’ve hunted with it in a different 6.5. Haven’t shot an elk yet. It held up better than a 140 Elite. The 140 Elite is already enough for elk.

Totally disagree. I shoot mine in an 8.5” twist. Don’t know what Berger was thinking with that statement. Plug it into the twist calculator, they are just fine.

After killing a handful of animals with the 156 we went back to the 140vld. On game performance with the 140 was just better in our eyes. The 156 seemed to open a little quicker than the 140 yet didn’t cause much more damage to vitals

After killing a handful of animals with the 156 we went back to the 140vld. On game performance with the 140 was just better in our eyes. The 156 seemed to open a little quicker than the 140 yet didn’t cause much more damage to vitals
Any idea on the comparison to 143 gr Hornady precision hunters. That’s what I have been using.

I used the 156 in my SAUM on an Elk last October….worked great. Range was only 350 yards or so. Also used them in my PRC and 6.5-284….but haven’t tried them in the CM yet.

Any idea on the comparison to 143 gr Hornady precision hunters. That’s what I have been using.
I have been shooting them out of my weatherby vanguard for 4 years. have roughly 20 one shot kills with it on PA whitetails.

I’m not sure how I missed this. I did do some testing on some shoulder bones and water jugs with a 143 eldx but that’s it. It seemed to start to expand faster than the berger. Both would have worked just fine though

The 156 berger shoots great in my 6.5 PRC with a 1-8" twist.
They run around 2,889 fps average out of the 24".
That's likely just marginally fast enough for good expansion at 5-600 yrds.
Can't see the creed pushing them at 2,700. But I guess it's possible in some barrels. I think the 140 ish bullets are top end in a creed for hunting.

The 156 berger shoots great in my 6.5 PRC with a 1-8" twist.
They run around 2,889 fps average out of the 24".
That's likely just marginally fast enough for good expansion at 5-600 yrds.
Can't see the creed pushing them at 2,700. But I guess it's possible in some barrels. I think the 140 ish bullets are top end in a creed for hunting.
Agree with the 140 +/- being about the top end for the CM. I’ve had great luck with the Berger 140 VLD Hunt on Antelope and Hornady 140 ELD-M on Hogs.

I don’t think a 156gr Berger is too heavy for a CM in terms of terminal performance, but it likely is in terms of trajectory.

I don’t think a 156gr Berger is too heavy for a CM in terms of terminal performance, but it likely is in terms of trajectory.
I’m going to shoot them for the first time next weekend. The range goes out to a thousand so should be able to check drop out a long ways. Even though I don’t hunt over 300.

I’m going to shoot them for the first time next weekend. The range goes out to a thousand so should be able to check drop out a long ways. Even though I don’t hunt over 300.
Well…I shot a 1000yd match, and a handful of deer with 190VLDs in a .308, and they buck wind and kill just fine, but the trajectory is less than desirable for hunting at more than 300yds. I don’t see why a 156 Elite in a 6.5CM would be any worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back