Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Creedmoor question (probably again)

MarvB

So I've tried to look this up (search engine) here on HT with some success but thought I'd ask outright: Oldest daughter's boyfriend, fiance, baby-daddy (whatever they're calling them these days) wants to start hunting. He's a Ft. Worth TX firefighter so it's mainly going to be whitey's out that way but as some do he bought first and asked for "help" second. Ended up (which is no problem to me) buying a package Winchester XPR Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor with Vortex Crossfire II Scope and True Timber Strata Stock. Should work fine sans the man bun (kidding).

The question is he is thinking about coming out next year and possibly going hunting with me here in OR and wants to know the best factory (he doesn't reload) round for the Creed for elk. From his local store he's looking at running one of the following down the tube...
  • Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X.
  • Nosler Trophy Grade Long Range 142gr AccuBond.
  • Federal Fusion 140gr.
  • Remington Core-Lokt 140gr.
....but I told him to hold off shelling out $40+/box randomly and I'd ask those on HT their thoughts? I have killed a handful deer and one cow elk with an old "Kimber of Oregon" 6.5x55 Swede that I bought years ago on a lark as a back-up rifle but just run the old Federal Premium 140-Grain Power-Shoks that I bought back with that rifle....have never shot/toyed with this modern hot rod version.

Thoughts???

My experience with budget minded factory rifles with factory ammo is they like some and not others. Experimenting with different ammo to find what it likes to shoot is important. I have a Remington 783 that shoots sub MOA with Winchester XP deer season ammo and shoots garbage with ammo that costs twice as much. Same thing with my mossberg Patriot in 6.5cm, it likes federal fusion and others, including the eld-x, not so much. It’s a kick in the nuts to buy a budget minded gun for $300-500 and then to have to spend upwards of $150-200 on ammo to figure out what it likes to shoot, but I think that’s just the way it is. At the end of the day, it’s nice to have a gun that shoots well. My recommendation would be to have him buy 3 or 4 Different boxes of ammo he would like to shoot elk with and then test them all and see which shoots best. Great bullet construction won’t be worth a hill of beans if the gun doesn’t shoot well.

As far as accuracy, each gun shoots each bullet differently. For my 2 cents, 143 grain ELD-x shoots like a dream out of my Browning. Can’t speak to 6.5 effectiveness on elk as I hunt them with my .300

I've killed a handful of elk with small-ish 6.5's (.260ai, 6.5x47, and 6.5 Creed). However the only factory load among those was the 147 ELDM in 6.5 C that accounted for two cow elk of mine and one spike that a bud borrowed my gun for. Performance was adequate; two of the three died within seconds. The third was not hit well on the first shot due to some extenuating circumstances but the bullet did fine and got the job done a moment later.

I wouldn't have qualms about hunting with the 147 again if intending to slip behind the shoulder, though I use and prefer the 139 scenar -- which of course is not available in a factory load for the 6.5C. Any of those listed might be better or worse, can only comment on my direct experience with the 147. Best of luck to your young-fellow-in-law, ha, in his search for a solution, I'm sure it'll sort itself out.

My experience with budget minded factory rifles with factory ammo is they like some and not others. Experimenting with different ammo to find what it likes to shoot is important. I have a Remington 783 that shoots sub MOA with Winchester XP deer season ammo and shoots garbage with ammo that costs twice as much. Same thing with my mossberg Patriot in 6.5cm, it likes federal fusion and others, including the eld-x, not so much. It’s a kick in the nuts to buy a budget minded gun for $300-500 and then to have to spend upwards of $150-200 on ammo to figure out what it likes to shoot, but I think that’s just the way it is. At the end of the day, it’s nice to have a gun that shoots well. My recommendation would be to have him buy 3 or 4 Different boxes of ammo he would like to shoot elk with and then test them all and see which shoots best. Great bullet construction won’t be worth a hill of beans if the gun doesn’t shoot well.

True...I told him that even if he buys a few boxes that his rifle isn't particularly enamored with all is not lost, he still gets time behind the scope and there are plenty of jrabbits and coyotes out his way that wont know the difference!

I've had good luck with Federal Fusions out of every rifle I've shot them through, from Howa to Savage Axis and in between. They are deadly, and accurate, and a good price. I decided not to start reloading for my .308 because my Ruger American shoots them so well.

Good to know, they were also my old Swedes choice right out of the go as well (the Federals but the Power Shoks) I just think he needs to spending some range time getting comfortable before he gets down to the nut cutting...he is used to scatterguns but this is his first game rifle.

I just ran the 143 ELD-X (factory) and some 142 Nosler ABLR (handloads) through my 20" creedmoor yesterday. FPS was 2585 average on the ELD-X and 2637 for the NABLR. I would guess the reasoning is because I had those loaded to max book.

Both shot well and I am sure that they will both knock down deer and elk for your future Son-in-Law. Because of the Creedmoor being already a little speed challenged with the higher grain bullets, I decided the ABLR was the better round. It will reliably expand down to 1300 or so FPS (not that I am shooting game that far) but I also have trusted the Nosler name since I started hunting. I am sure any 4 of those bullets will work and probably shoot well, but I would want a bonded bullet and something with as high of BC's as I can get. Not sure your elk hunting grounds but mine seem to have 400+ yard shots to be very common. As @Big Fin says, bullets are the cheapest part of his hunt, no reason to compromise on that critical part.

My brother just started hunting and got into a 6.5 Creed. We worked up a load that his rifle likes and then I had him go buy some S&B 140 grain plinking ammo. We keep his rifle sighted in for the handloads but know the poi shift for the cheaper stuff. At around $10 a box, it gives him time behind his rifle at an affordable cost. We save the nice, tuned ammo for when he has an animal behind his sights. Just something I have tried so he gets used to his rifle, YMMV.

I would go with a mono bullet for elk or minimum a nice bonded bullet.. federal fusions seem to shoot good in most rifles.. hornady interlock seems to hold together great also and shoots nice in my 270 win

I have used the 143 eldx on deer and they work great but I feel like there are better choices. I would steer him towards bonded or mono bullets. Such as Barnes 127 LRX, Federal 130 TSX or the original 140 Accubonds from Federal. All around 40 bucks a box on midway.

I like the eld-x! In two years I have dropped 2 cow elk, 2 mature Muleys, and 6 antelope. Never had to use more than one shot or track an animal. Bullet placement is key though. I am a firm believer in shooting a rifle and load you are confident in at a reasonable distance for that round. Elk/deer under 350 antelope under 450

I killed a bull with the 143 gr eldx last year. I don't reload so it was the factory load. First shot was placed well and the bullet passed through and appeared to hold together well based on the exit. The second shot was unnecessary and he was already staggering but it was STEEP and I wanted him to go down fast so I didn't have to drop down into a hell hole to recover and pack him out. I shoot em til their down regardless of the animal. He dropped on that second shot.

I've read people have problems with the bullet staying together when they load it hot and shoot something at close range. Probably not a good idea to do that on larger game with a bullet that, as far as I know is made for controlled expansion at slightly slower speeds.

I've had good luck with Federal Fusions out of every rifle I've shot them through, from Howa to Savage Axis and in between. They are deadly, and accurate, and a good price. I decided not to start reloading for my .308 because my Ruger American shoots them so well.

can 2nd this on the Federal Fusion...rolled through the hornady options in my .308 Ruger American, and same optics as the OP and the federal fusions were the ones that stayed most true over several outings. Would assume the same quality goes into the 6.5 loads

I shoot the Barnes 127 LRX bullet as well. I like knowing that it will reliably penetrate anything from an antelope up to a moose. Taken elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope with it. I handload but Barnes sells it in factory ammo too.

I like to start with the bullet(s) I want and work from there. For example, I like heavier for caliber solid copper bullets. Therefore, I always start from there and usually find something my gun likes after only 2-3 boxes. Also, it's important to remember that you are shooting elk and other bigger animals at reasonable distances and not competing in a F-Class shoot. Therefore, terminal performance is more important than printing .5 MOA cloverleafs. I'll take 1-1.25 MOA from a good bullet instead of .5 from a lesser bullet.

For example, my 300 Win Mag shoots Cor-lokts very well, but I don't like that bullet for elk. However, it shoots 165 Barnes TTSX reasonably well (but not as well as the Remingtons) so that's what I hunt with because I don't think you can go much better than a Barnes TTSX no matter what you are shooting.

I recommend going lead-free so would look at Barnes factory loads VOR-TX 120 grain TTSX or 127 grain LRX. Since they retain 99% of their weight they perform like 140+ grain traditional bullets.

Back