Yeti GOBOX Collection

Creedmoor question (probably again)

I think Federal Fusions shoot good in about anything. If those are acceptable then I would start with those to save a little cash. It won't hurt to test a bunch of ammo, but it isnt free either.

Every gun is different but a friend and I just shot two diff 6.5 creeds at the advice of another guy who owns a creed and spent a ton on ammo to test.

We both shot federal fusion from two diff guns and they were touching at 100 yards from both guns. One with a 16 inch barrel and one with a 24 inch barrel.

If I had to shoot factory ammo, in this order,

-147 ELD-M
-140 ELD-M
-143 ELD-X

Reads like you’re trying to like the guy, wondering if you’re going to pick a unit with a lot of windfall, lot of up turned stumps kind of thing….
Not a fan of the 6.5 creedmore I’ve owned four and just don’t get it, I’ll keep an open mind. That being said, looking at your list I would not use the ABLR. I love the accubonds use them in most of my rifles but the LR variant has a lighter jacket to perform at long distances. The Accubonds have worked for me on elk from 30 to 500 yards in three different cartridges. Pretty good bullet.

So I've tried to look this up (search engine) here on HT with some success but thought I'd ask outright: Oldest daughter's boyfriend, fiance, baby-daddy (whatever they're calling them these days) wants to start hunting. He's a Ft. Worth TX firefighter so it's mainly going to be whitey's out that way but as some do he bought first and asked for "help" second. Ended up (which is no problem to me) buying a package Winchester XPR Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor with Vortex Crossfire II Scope and True Timber Strata Stock. Should work fine sans the man bun (kidding).

The question is he is thinking about coming out next year and possibly going hunting with me here in OR and wants to know the best factory (he doesn't reload) round for the Creed for elk. From his local store he's looking at running one of the following down the tube...
  • Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X.
  • Nosler Trophy Grade Long Range 142gr AccuBond.
  • Federal Fusion 140gr.
  • Remington Core-Lokt 140gr.
....but I told him to hold off shelling out $40+/box randomly and I'd ask those on HT their thoughts? I have killed a handful deer and one cow elk with an old "Kimber of Oregon" 6.5x55 Swede that I bought years ago on a lark as a back-up rifle but just run the old Federal Premium 140-Grain Power-Shoks that I bought back with that rifle....have never shot/toyed with this modern hot rod version.

Thoughts???
So I've tried to look this up (search engine) here on HT with some success but thought I'd ask outright: Oldest daughter's boyfriend, fiance, baby-daddy (whatever they're calling them these days) wants to start hunting. He's a Ft. Worth TX firefighter so it's mainly going to be whitey's out that way but as some do he bought first and asked for "help" second. Ended up (which is no problem to me) buying a package Winchester XPR Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor with Vortex Crossfire II Scope and True Timber Strata Stock. Should work fine sans the man bun (kidding).

The question is he is thinking about coming out next year and possibly going hunting with me here in OR and wants to know the best factory (he doesn't reload) round for the Creed for elk. From his local store he's looking at running one of the following down the tube...
  • Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X.
  • Nosler Trophy Grade Long Range 142gr AccuBond.
  • Federal Fusion 140gr.
  • Remington Core-Lokt 140gr.
....but I told him to hold off shelling out $40+/box randomly and I'd ask those on HT their thoughts? I have killed a handful deer and one cow elk with an old "Kimber of Oregon" 6.5x55 Swede that I bought years ago on a lark as a back-up rifle but just run the old Federal Premium 140-Grain Power-Shoks that I bought back with that rifle....have never shot/toyed with this modern hot rod version.

Thoughts???

I believe Norma makes a big (160gr). But don’t quote me. I have taken three elk w 6.5. Recovered em all. I still have the 6.5 for antelope/deer. I personally went to a 7rem mag. I’m not the best shot and I decided that was the best path for me. Loan him a big bore. FWIW

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back