Yeti GOBOX Collection

$6 + 4 digit # = Big Idaho Muley

thegamegtr

So for my brothers birthday I gave him $6 and a 4 digit number. He, not being a serious hunter, had no idea what either was for. He had always told me that he would love to shoot a big mule deer....sooo, I figured I would at least give him the chance. The hunt that I had given him to put in for was a long shot at best!

I had been checking the IDFG site to see if I had drawn anything. I could not believe I had drawn a great muley tag. So when I called my brother to ask him if he had drawn I expected him to tell me the bad news. Well to my suprise he told me that he had drawn a mule deer tag. I could not believe what he had just said (and he said it without any excitement). I asked him if he was sure and he told me yes. Holy Crap! Not only did I get to hunt for big mule deer for myself, but I got to take my brother to shoot his first mule deer buck.

After talking to him about the hunt and shooting guns over the next couple of months he began to get excited. When I brought home my mule deer, a switch turned on! The reality that he was going to have a chance to shoot a trophy mule deer hit home.

My dad, brother and I made the drive up to our hunting area. It was a great time. Even if we didn't see a deer, it would have been a great trip. Well, we didn't have to worry about that. This was the first time in my life that I was involved in a hunt (with a rifle) during the peak of the rut. Deer were running around like field mice! We spent the first morning "shopping" for a good buck. We looked over around 14 different bucks that morning. One which was a nice 160" 4 pt. It was awesome! He was doing very good in not wanting to shoot just any old buck. Almost to good. We found a very big 3pt up a draw. He was looking at it through the spotting scope, and I was devising a plan. He told me that he was not sure that he wanted to shoot a 3 pt. I did my best not to smack him up side the head. Without pushing him to hard, I told him that 3pt. or not, we were looking at a beautiful, mature buck. He asked me what I would do, if it was my tag....I told him that I would stalk the back of that ridge and come out on the rocks to the left of his position and shoot! He must have figure out that it was better that he thought.

The stalk was perfect! The shot was even better. My brother had just shot his first muley buck and it was a dandy! Not bad for a 3pt!

Attachments

• DSCF5083.JPG
    DSCF5083.JPG
    406.7 KB · Views: 828
That is one heck of a 3 point for sure. I don't think you would have had to convince me or want to slap me up side the head. That's a dandy and a great story.

3 point or not, that is a heck of a first buck. Congrat for passing along the sickness to your brother.

Congratulations to both you and your brother on a couple of great bucks! If I had seen that buck you would have probably had to smack me in the head just to get me to calm down and listen to the game plan, by the way, I'll accept $6_4 digit gifts from total strangers.:D

Thanks everyone. My brother got more and more excited everytime he looked at the buck in the back of the truck. The cool thing is that he did not want to shoulder mount it (not enough room in his house). I know that doesn't sound cool, but under the circumstanced it was. My daughter shot a really nice muley 4 years ago. I was going to mount it, but the neighbors dog decided that the cape would be a good chew toy:mad: Now, I have a cape to mount my daughter's deer with, and my brother has a beautiful european mount in his house!

Congrats on the nice buck and even better you get to finish off your daughters deer. My birthday is in Sept. I will except an early May present if you want to hand out another $6 present.

Nice 3X3. I was on a good 3X3 for two days this bow season but didn't end up with him. Congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back