5 things on your bucket list

I wanted to go this next summer with a couple buddies.... but there's no way... gonna have save the pennies another year or two at least before I can afford it
There's definitely ways to go on the cheap. When you do the full blown lodge experience, then you can run into major $$.
Airfare $500
Rent a cabin $100-200 per night.
Rental car $5-600
Guide $200 per person per day.
When you split the shared cost of cabin and rental car it isn't too bad.

There's definitely ways to go on the cheap. When you do the full blown lodge experience, then you can run into major $$.
Airfare $500
Rent a cabin $100-200 per night.
Rental car $5-600
Guide $200 per person per day.
When you split the shared cost of cabin and rental car it isn't too bad.
Does your fishing guide friend run a business and take on customers? If so what's his website?

Mine is long, and some of them are dumb little things that I just don’t get around to. But the big ones:

1. Hunt mountain caribou

2. Hunt any species Sheep

3. Do an Amazon birding trip. Europe told me I would love it. Had been looking into a trip on the Peruvian Amazon, but that seems kind of out of the question right now.

4. Find a glass float. I’ve wanted to find one since I was a kid.

5. Learn to roast coffee. I am a caffeine addict.
If you can't go to the Amazon, try the Asa Wright Nature Centre in Trinidad. Amazing birding there!

Do a salmon float trip in Alaska. Much, much cooler than standing on a charter boat with a bunch of people ... puking up last night's partying. Been there. Incredible to see thousands of fish underneath you, some half the length of your boat. And the brown bears cruising the shore ... till they see you and disappear. Moose are common sighting. And eagles. And scenery. Sure, you won't take home a freezer of fish but if you figure out the cost, you're MUCH better off buying halibut in the store. And I know halibut is great eating but fresh sockeye grilled over a campfire is unbeatable. No contest.

Do a salmon float trip in Alaska. Much, much cooler than standing on a charter boat with a bunch of people ... puking up last night's partying. Been there. Incredible to see thousands of fish underneath you, some half the length of your boat. And the brown bears cruising the shore ... till they see you and disappear. Moose are common sighting. And eagles. And scenery. Sure, you won't take home a freezer of fish but if you figure out the cost, you're MUCH better off buying halibut in the store. And I know halibut is great eating but fresh sockeye grilled over a campfire is unbeatable. No contest.
You must have had some REALLY BAD experiences!
I won an all expenses paid trip 15 years ago to RJs in Soldotna. It was probably close to what you described. A customized trip with a private guide is a whole different world.

You priced halibut in the store lately? Plus it's total crap compared to the stuff I bring back every year.

You must have had some REALLY BAD experiences!
I won an all expenses paid trip 15 years ago to RJs in Soldotna. It was probably close to what you described. A customized trip with a private guide is a whole different world.
I have fished big charters and small ones. Actually worked as a hand on a charter during my days off when I was a ranger at Olympic Park. Not a bad experience but floating a river in Alaska blows it away. I really doubt a day on a boat one on one with a guide is $200 ... not with these fuel prices. Last time I went to Alaska I rented a raft and floated the Algnak for a week. No guide needed. I caught salmon and rainbows till my arms gave out. Mostly chum salmon but had three big kings on for a while before I had to break off. There were still a few late sockeye to catch. Pound for pound they are the fightingest fish in Nort America. Again, no comparison to the pathetic fight halibut give. They mostly just use their weight.

I have fished big charters and small ones. Actually worked as a hand on a charter during my days off when I was a ranger at Olympic Park. Not a bad experience but floating a river in Alaska blows it away. I really doubt a day on a boat one on one with a guide is $200 ... not with these fuel prices. Last time I went to Alaska I rented a raft and floated the Algnak for a week. No guide needed. I caught salmon and rainbows till my arms gave out. Mostly chum salmon but had three big kings on for a while before I had to break off. There were still a few late sockeye to catch. Pound for pound they are the fightingest fish in Nort America. Again, no comparison to the pathetic fight halibut give. They mostly just use their weight.
Right, absolutely zero fun fishing the salt...please stay on the rivers.

IMG_12201.JPG

08051716511.jpg

IMG950965.jpg

IMG_20200823_113821691_HDR.jpg

What's 700 pounds of halibut, salmon, rock fish worth in the store? I can assure you not near the quality of this stuff:

IMG_20210805_080354461.jpg

9EE31475-DE2E-4BED-99B9-BCB3B28F75C8.jpeg

IMG_20210802_145619472_HDR.jpg

Did you go with one of Tanners guides? Their a pretty good out fit.
It's been a while and I can't remember this guy's name. Solo outfit, think his first name was Aaron? Recommended by some friends up in Alaska.

IMG_12201.JPG

08051716511.jpg

IMG950965.jpg

What's 700 pounds of halibut, salmon, rock fish worth in the store? I can assure you not near the quality of this stuff:

What's it cost to ship that stuff home?

IMG_12201.JPG

08051716511.jpg

IMG950965.jpg

Never said it was "zero fun". I fished for salmon and halibut for years off my own cruiser. But if I was planning to spend the money to fish Alaska, why not go for the added bonus of bears, scenery, etc? Catching salmon on a fly rod absolutely destroys horsing them in with ocean trolling gear. Sure it's fun. I enjoy it (still fish for kings on Superior). Just no comparison to experiences fly fishing the Alagnak and Brooks River.

I’ll take a freezer full of halibut, lingcod and rockfish over salmon, maybe I’m weird? Went up twice with a very small charter and it was worth every penny. I’d already be planning my return if he hadn’t just sold the business. I’ll go back but now need to find a new spot

Never said it was "zero fun". I fished for salmon and halibut for years off my own cruiser. But if I was planning to spend the money to fish Alaska, why not go for the added bonus of bears, scenery, etc? Catching salmon on a fly rod absolutely destroys horsing them in with ocean trolling gear. Sure it's fun. I enjoy it (still fish for kings on Superior). Just no comparison to experiences fly fishing the Alagnak and Brooks River.
Don't troll for salmon usually, mooching on light tackle, they fight just as hard as on a flyrod. Many of them you see eat the herring. We also see brown bears most years on the day we spend waiting for our fish to be processed.

Yeah, scenery really sucks where we fish...

0727160811.jpg

IMG_20200825_113652864_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200825_113703381_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220815_142838811_HDR.jpg

My kind of scenery:

IMG_20200824_162825349_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200822_162404548_HDR.jpg

Back