Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

5 things on your bucket list

Wow. Some lists.
I've never been anywhere, only hunted a few states and I can't imagine having all those dreams and retiring debt free if I did them.

And I'm the one who lived a interesting life? LOL
I missed a boat somewhere...had the wrong job or something.
That’s the interesting thing about life. We’ve all done things and had experiences that others wish they could/can do and vice versa. To me, you’ve done hunts and had a job filled with cool experiences I’ll never have….and you met Cushman.

I really like this thread. Lots of new adventures rattling around in my head for when I become a billionaire.

I really like this thread. Lots of new adventures rattling around in my head for when I become a billionaire.
I've had the ideas bouncing around my head since I was young. My grandpa was able to do all these dream hunts so the stories, pictures and mounts really drive me even harder (also made my list significantly bigger).

Here are my highest on the list... Just need to stumble into a few million $.

1. Go to Tajikistan for a Marco Polo sheep. Incredible adventure just getting to the area you're going to hunt let alone the actual hunt.
2. Hunt Brown Bear on Kodiak Island
3. DIY Moose in Alaska within the next 2 years
4. North American Grand Slam (Dall sheep in AK, and Bighorn in the Unlimiteds in MT)
5. Red Stag in New Zealand

Honorable mentions -
1. Big 5 in Africa ($$$) edit: (more so cape Buffalo, leopard, and hippo. Elephant and rhino if they have a problem one)
2. Mountain Caribou
3. Grizzly in AK or BC
4. Countless Elk

Last edited:
The farther you get from Nadi the better vacation you’ll have. I will suggest you look into the island of Taveuni when you go on your family trip to Fiji. The Fijian people are wonderful. The Saturday market in Suva is great.
We went on to Taveuni for our 10 year anniversary. It was a wonderful place. If you go you need to get scuba certified and spend some time diving there. The scuba diving is spectacular.

This was our home for a little over a week.

3981086.jpg

This was almost 20 years ago so the quality of the camera I had wasn't that great but the reefs were amazing. The drift diving was the closest thing to flying that I've experienced, they would drop us off and follow us in the boat while we were diving around 60 feet deep. The water was so clear they could see us that deep easily.

diving%20fiji%20pic%207.jpg

I'm with Nameless Range on the no bucket list bucket list. I've been able to do a lot of things in my life and hope to continue to do a lot more. I've got some things on my short term radar and some are a bit longer term. I've been blessed beyond measure already.

Last edited:
I'm with Nameless Range on the no bucket list bucket list. I've been able to do a lot of things in my life and hope to continue to do a lot more. I've got some things on my short term radar and some are a bit longer term. I've been blessed beyond measure already.
This reminded me to empty the frozen bucket and fill it with fresh thawed for Rio and the birds. It will be solid again soon. Get some more wood in. It'll be 5 again tomorrow morning.
It's a beautiful day.

I’m intrigued by the No bucket list idea.

I feel like my “list” is always in flux, but it definitely exists. Some things get checked off, some things I lose interest in, I learn new things that inspire additions to the list. It’s a “list” in a very fluid sense.

I’m intrigued by the No bucket list idea.

I feel like my “list” is always in flux, but it definitely exists. Some things get checked off, some things I lose interest in, I learn new things that inspire additions to the list. It’s a “list” in a very fluid sense.
You know what they say HW, 'never meet your heroes'...I can see how that could parallel experiences.

I don't have a bucket list. I didn't realize it until I thought about it for a couple of days. I do have some goals but more like change the way that I do some things, but nothing that I could complete and check off a list.
I thought it interesting that when I asked my wife about this list, she failed to come up with the first item also without knowing my lack of one. I guess we are kind of content doing what we do. We have kind of kept up with doing the things that are important to us just in case we draw the short straw.

You know what they say HW, 'never meet your heroes'...I can see how that could parallel experiences.
Since I was a kid I wanted to fly fish Patagonia, with the specific goal of hooking and landing a huge brown trout on a dry fly. Was a bucket list item for almost two decades.

Then in 2010, my wife and I spent a month backpacking and fishing along the Carretera Austral in Chile and a couple weeks of the same over on the Argentina side of the border. The fishing was fun, but honestly I’ve had way better days fishing and caught much larger trout here in Oregon than any day I had down there. In Patagonia I was so focused on landing that giant brown trout that it consumed me and I sort of couldn’t see the forest for the trees. Never did get one, and it messed with my head for a while. I’m an obsessive person, and have had to learn over and over again to just enjoy the experience.

Point is, becoming fixated on a specific, singular goal can have merits, but can also cloud what could be an incredible overall experience.

Done more hunting for more species than I ever thought I would. Anything from now on, swimming through gravy.

A couple things I'd like to see happen is corner crossing becoming legal. Another is getting stream access in Wyoming.

Those are more goals than bucket list items.

Should start concentrating more on my own hunting/fishing and goofing off instead of that shit.

But, seems like the right thing to do and make a run at. If it doesn't get done, the next crew has a place to pick it up at least.

1- See all my kids graduate from college and become successful adults doing something they love.
2- stay happily married to the woman I love till death do us part lol.
3- draw any bighorn sheep tag ( I've got 25 years worth of points invested in 4 states and haven't even sniffed my own tag)
4- draw a shiras moose tag (same 25 years in 3 states no love)
5- retire before I'm forced to do so by health and age.

Kept me up reading this thread. In no particular order…

First- Raise my kids right and to be free.
Sail the world.
Hunt the Black Death.
Live to be 120 and never retire (aiming high so 100 is easy).
Follow and hunt the migration from Canada to Louisiana along the Missouri/Mississippi (Grandpa’s dream).
Build my own home.
Last - Carve my name in stone on the mountain for my eternal days.

The only one I may not accomplish is sailing the world. If I do it would probably be alone as my wife wont do it - she made that clear.

Ive found that hunting big mule deer is a passion but its not a bucket list item. The experience has always over shadowed the size of any animal. Figure Ill get the “big one” one day anyway, Ive sure seen em.

No particular order.

Peacock Bass fishing in South America

Do a long canoe route through the Boundary Waters

Hunt Elk in my home state of Tennessee (long shot of long shots)

Take my wife around Europe

Don’t be on my deathbed thinking “I should’ve spent more time fishing and hunting”

I'm feeling inspired to do some halibut/salmon fishing in Alaska this year! Never been, so I'm looking at boat charters and trying to find a good one to use. I found one or two in this thread, but if anyone else has a favorite that they'd share I'd really appreciate it.

LOL. I saw this thread pop back up and saw that I had replied to it so I thought I would go back and check to see if any of the great things that happened in 2023 were on my list.

Turns out I don't have a bucket list so that's why I couldn't remember if anything I did this year was on it or not! ;)

I really have enjoyed watching my son really start to grow into a man this year though.

I have a buddy down in Happy Valley on the Kenai peninsula above Homer. He runs a low key guide service in Cook Inlet. I don't know what areas your thinking about?

I have a buddy down in Happy Valley on the Kenai peninsula above Homer. He runs a low key guide service in Cook Inlet. I don't know what areas your thinking about?
I've been looking at Homer but honestly I know so little about the area that I'm a blank slate. Not sure why to pick one area over another. I'm going solo, so the goal is to go out, catch a bunch of fish on a boat with strangers and have fun. I know that the cruise lines have certain stops, and if I had to pick something to avoid, it would probably be a cruise.

I've been looking at Homer but honestly I know so little about the area that I'm a blank slate. Not sure why to pick one area over another. I'm going solo, so the goal is to go out, catch a bunch of fish on a boat with strangers and have fun. I know that the cruise lines have certain stops, and if I had to pick something to avoid, it would probably be a cruise.
Several threads here about Alaska fishing. Try a search if you haven't already. Pay attention to any posts by @Bambistew .

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back