471 AZ bull

Do you advocate for one price for all..no R or NR disparity?
Nope. I firmly support managing for the benefit of the residents of the state. NR use of a resource is a privilege granted to them by the residents. That said, I also believe residents need to be honest about this, and realize it is incumbent upon them to pay their fair share. I'd have to do some digging, but when US Outfitters sued a number of western states on the basis of NR discrimination, a court decision stated a price differential of about 6:1 was what they deemed fair and acceptable.

It is a myth that these dollars help in any way, if I read your statement correctly...I don’t think it’s fair to completely discount some of the good that can come from these tags.
Auction tags are commonly cited as great benefits to habitat and conservation. They undoubtedly put real dollars towards these causes. However, I would argue that most of these programs create a net loss towards goals of habitat, populations, access, and opportunity. The issue is opportunity cost. Every tag you remove from the draw for an auction = x amount of fewer average joe hunters who can aspire to hunt areas and species, be inspired and motivated to volunteer their time, and perhaps even more importantly, be inclined to partner with causes, and be active politically with their vote towards relevant issues and involvement with G&F decisions.

Letting high value tags go to a select few with the deepest pockets creates an image problem that is unpalatable to most folks. In order to try and mitigate the sordid reality, having a sexy dollar amount earmarked for conservation tricks us into thinking we’re all getting a gift, but it’s really a crap sandwich, due to erosion of the base # of persons contributing to conservation in years to come.

1 auction tag and 1 raffle tag per species per state is okay by me but I would not like to see it increased.
As it is now, it doesn’t decrease anybody else’s opportunity and it has probably increased it in some places for some species via habitat work, water resources or transplant project.
I honestly have no idea what happens to the AZ elk money though.
In AZ, It seems that there is plenty of elk and that the focus is more on containing them, rather than expanding them, so I’m not sure what needs done?

Auction tags are commonly cited as great benefits to habitat and conservation. They undoubtedly put real dollars towards these causes. However, I would argue that most of these programs create a net loss towards goals of habitat, populations, access, and opportunity. The issue is opportunity cost. Every tag you remove from the draw for an auction = x amount of fewer average joe hunters who can aspire to hunt areas and species, be inspired and motivated to volunteer their time, and perhaps even more importantly, be inclined to partner with causes, and be active politically with their vote towards relevant issues and involvement with G&F decisions.

Letting high value tags go to a select few with the deepest pockets creates an image problem that is unpalatable to most folks. In order to try and mitigate the sordid reality, having a sexy dollar amount earmarked for conservation tricks us into thinking we’re all getting a gift, but it’s really a crap sandwich, due to erosion of the base # of persons contributing to conservation in years to come.

Fair enough. You and I differ slightly on what we think the opportunity cost of such a low number of tags is, but I agree with you that it creates a rough image and can put a bad taste in people’s mouths to see some of the biggest animals taken by these tags. I also believe that many of these folks who buy these expensive tags are often involved politically in conservation and partner with some very good causes. This is not necessarily fact, I would need to do more research to prove this for certain.

I think there is validity to the argument that these expensive tags are turning some people off of hunting, I just don’t believe that it necessarily results in a net loss to the species and the sport. We certainly don’t have the research to show one way or the other.

This hunt = $$$$ going to conservation = Good for wildlife = good for hunting
This hunt = on Youtube, where any person ambivalent to or anti hunting gets to see a fat, rich, white guy kill a bull elk 1 1/2 months before anyone else can hunt at a 1/2 mile then slowly die = not good for hunting.

I found it rather gross and wished I hadn't watched. But if I was in his shoes I would likely be trying to buy the tag as well, but that's where our experiences would diverge.

I just wish I came up with the sandwich idea......... call it what a guy wants but old Jimmy John has put an absolute shit load of money back into conservation in a variety of states.

Not sure how many Arizona Governor's Elk Tags there are but this one went for $225K.

That's only about a 1216 : 1 NR to R ratio. Well within AZ acceptable standards.

Not sure how many Arizona Governor's Elk Tags there are but this one went for $225K.

Looking at some of those auctions that's pretty incredible.......I couldn't imagine spending a mortgage on a hunt let alone multiple.

Nope. I firmly support managing for the benefit of the residents of the state. NR use of a resource is a privilege granted to them by the residents. That said, I also believe residents need to be honest about this, and realize it is incumbent upon them to pay their fair share. I'd have to do some digging, but when US Outfitters sued a number of western states on the basis of NR discrimination, a court decision stated a price differential of about 6:1 was what they deemed fair and acceptable.
I would take that 6:1 at current resident prices and run all the way to the bank....

If this is supporting hunting then pull the freaking plug right now. No sense stoping the drain circle.
I watched the video and quite frankly it was freaking disgusting.

I agree, kinda wish I hadn't watched it either. I like how the tag money goes to a very good cause but in doing that you really risk the integrity of what hunting is all about. I really feel for those people that waited years on end to draw a tag and hunt an elk like that only to have it taken away from them by somebody with a lot of money who isn't even a hunter.

Not sure why I follow Vince, but here I am showing my guilt. I never watched this video, but guessing from the screen shot from the link this is jimmy J. Interesting friends. Maybe there will be another one with the “Hedgehog”?😁DCB9B6B1-74CB-4C4D-A901-BFCCD9B11A2C.png

At least JJ didn't seem a pompous asshole and acknowledges that without that whole crew of people there's no chance on earth he ever shoots that bull.

I commend the guy who was narrating the video, or setup the situation in the first part. That's a tough thing to come to terms with. Knowing that had he waited until opening day of archery that he may have been able to take that bull but also the realization that reality of the governors tag is what it is. There was really not much he could do that would have kept them from harvesting that bull.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back