471 AZ bull

is there any sort of regulation that would help rein this in? No more than 2 or 3 "helpers"? would be tough to enforce
Outlaw filming it. Lol. I’d be better off basking in my naïveté that it was a successful trophy hunt that raised a lot of money for conservation vs. seeing how that sausage was made.

Was anyone else a bit miffed by how long they seemed to stand around high fiving, talking, taking pictures, waiting for 50 more people to arrive, etc. before they started breaking that bull down? It’s August in AZ for God’s sake! Some of the guys are wearing shorts. Not sure I’d want to see any of that meat on my next JJ sandwich...

I wonder...... what is the appeal for someone in this situation to take that bull vs. taking something as big, or bigger, on a 50,000 acre high fence? Is it because this one can officially be in the record books? The whole process seems like it would be similar to a high fence operation. I don't mind his choice. He can spend his money however he wants. I just wonder what the appeal is to him.

Of all the bs that goes on with auction tags, the one in this vid is pretty good, really. And last years, (killed a few weeks earlier) is even better. It was taken by an old man with a bow, after hunting for 22 days.

It’s not my thing, but neither is this, which a lot of you and a lot of people in general suffer from.

Life isn’t pie.

Last edited:
I think this was an awesome job. To all the guys that didn't like it, pay your money, get the tag and do it however you want. I know no one is going to admit it, but I smell some jealousy.

Plus that bull might not have been quite as big last year, but I don't think anyone here would have passed him up (well maybe @Greenhorn or @BuzzH ) but he outsmarted everyone hunting in that unit last year and for a quite a few years prior. Good on old JJ for getting him.

Last edited:
I know no one is going to admit it, but I smell some jealousy.
The bull is ginormous. That hunter wasn't handed his fortune. If I had that kind of cash, I'd buy permits all over the place. Not sure I'd have that many friends along while hunting though. He did seem gracious. It was interesting to watch the video. Nobody seemed douchey. It would have been maybe cooler to see the bearded guy's wife get the bull on the late hunt though.

I'm headed to Arizona tomorrow by myself, a week before the antelope season opens and I hope I have 1% the amount of success Jimmy John had in that state. I've got a spacious 6 man tent, a cot, several coolers of food, beverages and ice, an ATV, and a lot of gas cans. I shot a coyote sized rock at 1140 yards last night. There's probably an antelope in trouble in the upcoming 2 weeks. I will likely stop by a Jimmy Johns on the way down and order a Hunter's club..

but I smell some jealousy.
Not an ounce of jealousy here. I could afford to do guided hunts if I wanted to (but not at that level!), but that’s not what hunting is for me. I don’t do it just to show up and kill some huge bull to be the envy of my friends or other hunters. I hunt for the challenge. Usually solo. Alway DIY on public land. I would not enjoy the hunt experience that was on that video regardless of the monster bull at the end of it. It just doesn’t represent my idea of hunting or why I hunt.

To each his own...

Oh, and the bases on that elk😳. Probably bigger than JJ’s ankles. Sorry. He does make good sandwiches though

I think this kinda "humanizes" the Governor tag holders who we all love to hate. Listen to his speech there before the pictures and realize he kinda envy's the guys who found and kept the bull found.

For those of you criticizing him, would you be so critical if it was Fin's uncle Larry? I think a lot of those guys who were involved are probably grateful for being a part of the hunt. Some out of financial reasons and some out of pride in their scouting and hunting skill.

Thanks to Rogue Outdoorsman for sharing that look into a Gov tag hunt.

I think this was an awesome job. To all the guys that didn't like it, pay your money, get the tag and do it however you want. I know no one is going to admit it, but I smell some jealousy.

Plus that bull might not have been quite as big last year, but I don't think anyone here would have passed him up (well maybe @Greenhorn or @BuzzH ) but he outsmarted everyone hunting in that unit last year and for a quite a few years prior. Good on old JJ for getting him.

The bull was probably crossing onto the Rez when they said it disappeared last August. Coincidentally one of those guides has plead guilty over a bull on the wrong side of the Rez fence.

Reactions: shb
Well said stone ice... wish the hunter that made the video would have gotten him, his story is awesome with the history with the bull, the guy turned into the underdog when he got to camp......

Here is my perspective:

I see this as nothing but a positive story. Look at how many people got to come together and share together in a truly unique hunt of a lifetime. The reaction from everyone walking up on that bull was exactly the same even though they didn't pull the trigger. Hunting is about so much more than the trigger pulling. Huge props to JJ for acknowledging that and expressing his deep gratitude to all those that made that hunt successful. Double props to Trent for what he did. Chose the high road and just experience it himself along with the rest. It was also pretty cool of the outfitter to include him.

Good job JJ and Trent. I'll support anyone who puts hunting in a positive light and I don't think this does nothing but.

Does anybody follow Trent? The "little" bull that was with him wasn't too bad, I wonder if he or his wife was able to connect with him?

Huge bull, humble guy, great for conservation, but man the long range shots just irk me. I wonder how long the bull layed there before it died. I just don't understand.

I’m having a tough time seeing where this isn’t beneficial to conservation and the future of elk hunting? That massive amount of cash will go towards a wide number of valuable wildlife projects, and the money spent on the guide service will help put money in the pockets of people who help promote the great pastime that we all enjoy.

I understand the issues that people have with big groups of people locking down an animal and making sure it goes to the big money tag, but in the big picture that may be better for the elk on that mountain and many other mountains around it. Better yet that it was taken by a man who is clearly humbled by the support he received in harvesting this magnificent elk.

I hope Trent’s family and friends all kill great bulls this year, he deserves it. Hopefully AZGFD puts those funds to good use putting more elk on the landscape.

The bull is ginormous. That hunter wasn't handed his fortune. If I had that kind of cash, I'd buy permits all over the place. Not sure I'd have that many friends along while hunting though. He did seem gracious. It was interesting to watch the video. Nobody seemed douchey. It would have been maybe cooler to see the bearded guy's wife get the bull on the late hunt though.

I'm headed to Arizona tomorrow by myself, a week before the antelope season opens and I hope I have 1% the amount of success Jimmy John had in that state. I've got a spacious 6 man tent, a cot, several coolers of food, beverages and ice, an ATV, and a lot of gas cans. I shot a coyote sized rock at 1140 yards last night. There's probably an antelope in trouble in the upcoming 2 weeks. I will likely stop by a Jimmy Johns on the way down and order a Hunter's club..
Greenhorn with an AZ lope tag. I could tune in for that. Looking forward to some pics.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back