471 AZ bull

Brian Call with Gritty podcast had Ryan Carter on that was involved in hunt and told story. Wasn't as bad as video made it look. I thought having 25 guys spotting was sick but it was only 5. Everyone just showed up when bull was down. Still I wish there was a limit to how many guys can help with a tag. Seems like 100 tags and 1000 guys in a unit.

I’m indifferent about this hunt. However, in states like utah and AZ where you only get an elk tag every 5-20 years depending on the person, I’d be tagging along on every hunt possible if I lived there. If a friend of mine calls and says he drew an elk tag and I didn’t then I’m going with them.

I know this is a different situation, but I don’t get worked up over 20 people being on a hunt.

I agree with mtmuley it was way to long for such a magnificent animal to flop around , give him his due and put a round thru him to end his life quickly . Didnt care for the carnival after that with all those people . Pay the animal the respect it deserves , a great old trophy Bull he was

1 auction tag and 1 raffle tag per species per state is okay by me but I would not like to see it increased.
As it is now, it doesn’t decrease anybody else’s opportunity and it has probably increased it in some places for some species via habitat work, water resources or transplant project.
I honestly have no idea what happens to the AZ elk money though.
In AZ, It seems that there is plenty of elk and that the focus is more on containing them, rather than expanding them, so I’m not sure what needs done?
I'm okay when the state's F&G is doing the auction/raffle. I have a dislike for any group to get tags to auction/raffle. Find it interesting the amount of grief given to some groups/states on this site, but not others...

I'm okay when the state's F&G is doing the auction/raffle. I have a dislike for any group to get tags to auction/raffle. Find it interesting the amount of grief given to some groups/states on this site, but not others...

I watched the ADBSS auction off the Rocky Bighorn tag last year. They were taking live bids in the room, while concurrently taking online bids in Real-time. It ran flawlessly and sold for a record amount.
Next weekend I’m going to help spend some of that money building new water resources in the desert.

In contrasting tech competency, Arizona game and Fish is currently 17 days behind schedule on running the elk and antelope draw.

Also, if you’re under the impression that the groups selling the tags are keeping the money, that’s incorrect. To the best of my knowledge 90-100% goes to the state agency depending on state/species/organization.

I don't think Jimmy is very sneaky.... or gets up early enough. Just an observation though....

Not everyone is a Jedi like yourself..
In blue jeans and an old orange sweatshirt from Sportsman's Surplus I got in Missoula. mtmuley

on a side note, based on the difficulty that AZGFD is having with the elk draw. There should be a lot of 470" bulls running around cuz at this rate there will be no elk hunts this year

Congratulations to the hunter and guides on a giant bull. I agree that it is sad that there is so much hate these days but we can still disagree and get along. I have very little desire to do a guided high fence hunt for whitetails eating from a corn flinger or to have a group of guides locate a big bull for me. If someone else wants to do something legal then good for them.

With that said, I wouldn't be disappointed if guiding (fishing and hunting) on public land became illegal. I was able to get an elk tag in an AZ unit a few years ago and had a chance to talk with A3 on a couple occasions. They were respectful of the DIY hunters and produce giant bulls on a consistent basis. If I draw the same tag again, I would be tempted to higher A3. I actually enjoy putting in the work even though it would be a good financial choice for me to higher a guide for a hunt than put the time scouting and hunting on my own. I just came to the conclusion that I would rather shoot a rag horn on my own than a 400" bull that a guide put me on.

I shoot my 338 Lapua that distance on a regular basis but from what I could see in the video, I would have stalked much closer to the hill right of the shooting position. He is obviously very capable of making the shot so if he wants to shoot that far, then more power to him.

JJ seems like a great guy and I'm glade he is a hunter instead of a PETA supporter. At least AZ limits the number of $$ tags. I don't have a problem with a small number of these type of tags. I'm not a fan of the Utah model. I hope a very large portion of the $$ for the tag goes back to benefiting the elk in AZ.

Trent made a good choice not to mess up the hunt. It is illegal to intentionally mess up someone else hunt in about every state. Even though it would have been hard to prosecute him for for a hiking that hillside to check his trail camera, intentionally spooking an animal another hunter is hunting is just wrong. Ryan Carter also did a good job of approaching Trent in a professional way.

Last edited:
Great to see some positive thoughts towards JJ. He started his business in college selling sandwiches out of a cooler to his dorm room class mates. He’s earned everything he has. He loves his family and shares all he has with everyone. Including the places he hunts all over the world. He wants to help all involved with his love for hunting. And don’t kid yourself if you think he’s not a shooter. 1000 yards plus he’s a baller. Great job JJ!

Great to see some positive thoughts towards JJ. He started his business in college selling sandwiches out of a cooler to his dorm room class mates. He’s earned everything he has. He loves his family and shares all he has with everyone. Including the places he hunts all over the world. He wants to help all involved with his love for hunting. And don’t kid yourself if you think he’s not a shooter. 1000 yards plus he’s a baller. Great job JJ!
Are you his PR agent?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back