Yeti GOBOX Collection

45-70 bolt action

T Bone

I stumbled into this rifle down at the local gun store.

It spoke to me.

I've heard of these Siamese Mauser conversions into the 45-70 frequently done in the 1960-80s, but this is the first I've handled.

A butchered Mauser is a terrible thing, but whoever did the work, did it very well.

Fit and finish, balance, full length bedding was all done by a pro, yet there are no distinguishing marks on the barrel other than cartridge specification.

Looking forward to getting a low power scope on this thing and throwing lead!

The Jap made actions are highly regarded as hell for stout and will handle any 45-70 load.

Out here in the west, the 45-70 is under-appreciated and the price tag showed it. This thumper followed me home.

Siamese1.jpg

Attachments

• Siamese2.jpg
    Siamese2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
  • Siamese4.jpg
    Siamese4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Congrats, that looks like an awesome find! Never pulled the trigger on a 45-70, but that one would’ve been hard to pass up!

I normally hate to see old guns messed with but that is one cool gun.

Cool find! I think I would have brought it home too; just cuz'!!\

My son has a Marlin lever SS in 45-70. There are tame loads; and then there are 400 grain "hot" loads! Once you touch it off, you figure out quick which one it was! :)

I used to have a 45/70 lever gun. I miss it.

I cast 420gr bullets for it, and loaded it from mild to wild with Unique, 2400, and RL7

I finally got out and shot this rifle. A fixed 4x Leupold was put on to test for accuracy.

Factory ammo from Steinel was acquired at the advice of a friend.

Bore sighted. Put it on paper at 50. Adjusted and backed up to 100. Shot 3...adjusted for zero at 150 and backed up and shot 5 rounds at 150.20200611_215242.jpg

I finally got out and shot this rifle. A fixed 4x Leupold was put on to test for accuracy.

Factory ammo from Steinel was acquired at the advice of a friend.

Bore sighted. Put it on paper at 50. Adjusted and backed up to 100. Shot 3...adjusted for zero at 150 and backed up and shot 5 rounds at 150.View attachment 143365

This thing stacks!

I shot rocks out to 300 with holdovers.

I forsee no issues at ranges sub 300...

It is going hunting. I may purchase a 1-5x20 Leupold.....still thinking on that....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back