4 years still waiting on my buck. How long is too long?

Give it another year or two...or rather go pick it up unfinished and cut your losses

Get it sooner rather than later. I had a taxi go through a divorce while he was in possession of a pronghorn and I had to threaten him with small claims court to get it back. The game agency got involved after numerous complaints. They basically set up shop outside his house and laid everyone's antlers out and if you had proof you got your deer back. They pulled his taxidermy license and charged him with theft and corrupt business practices.

Much too long. I hope he still has it. My BIL had a deer at a taxidermist who went to jail for manufacturing and distribution. Amazingly, he got it back a couple years later through the use of an intermediary and a couple hundred bucks.

I like to have my stuff back before the next hunting season and on the wall before I shoot another one.

4 years is completely insane and unreasonable

I've been waiting on a small mouth bass I brought in 4 years ago. At this point I don't even want it back. I'm certainly not paying some idiot to mount my fish now after the skin is likely ruined from being in the freezer for years and years. Don't give him any more time. These guys need to be held accountable for their actions.

Based on local taxidermists 12-18 months is very common but as stated by others I'd be going in and getting that back regardless of what he says, hopefully he still has it! Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

I’ve never had one take over a year. Most taxis I know like to finish out the stuff before the next season rolls around to free up shop space.

Another note, there was a podcast by Garret Weaver where a taxidermist was talking about people being wary of paying in full.. Mainly because if the taxidermist already has your money he may be less motivated to get your mount done quicker than others who haven't paid. Now this doesn't apply in every situation obviously and it may not be the case here but just some food for thought.

You need to act now. First thing, contact whoever regulates commercial taxidermy in your jurisdiction. See what they have to say. If for whatever reason you don't want to do that, or you're not satisfied by their response, I'd suggest the following, some of which may be N/A or redundant (my apologies):

1. Start with an ultimatum...get it done in x (short) amt of time or I pick it up in whatever state without paying you a dime and do everything in my power to spread the word about my experience with you. If they refuse, remind them that the internet and state boards/agencies who regulate commercial taxidermy can hurt their future economic prospects and possibly create legal trouble for them if they aren't on the up and up. Follow through if they don't meet your demands.

2. If it gets done, when you pick it up, tell you them you want a serious discount. Like 50 percent off the total price, minimum. Possibly much more if they did bad work to get it done. Tell them if you walk out paying any more than what you think is fair based on the situation (don't be nonconfrontational and shortchange yourself), you'll do everything I mentioned above to spread the word about your experience. Remind them that will cost them far more in lost business/possible agency troubles in the future than the discount they give you on that one mount.

3. If you're lucky enough to get this far...first thing when you get home, after hanging your mount and breathing out a sigh of relief. Do everything I mentioned anyways if you haven't already. If they have a page, review it. If they don't, get the word out through other platforms. Keep the regulating agency in the loop. If you're in a situation where you knew the person was operating commercially in an unregulated manner (I hope you're not), learn a lesson from that... I.E don't engage in that in future and report them anonymously anyways. Unlicensed commercial taxidermy is bad news, and legitimate taxidermists are a vital anti poaching tool.

Good luck man, and let us know how it turns out.

Some states have laws about taxidermy work being done in a reasonable time.
I've never heard of that, but I need to look up what states those are to get my taxidermy work done there because I've had constant issues with taxidermist taking forever. I hope you get your deer back and finally get to hang it one the wall.

Last edited:
I've never heard of that, but I need to look up what states those are to get my taxidermy work done there because I've had constant issues with taxidermist taking forever. I hope you get your deer back and finally get to hang it one the wall.
It use to be a law in WY, but it appears they have removed it from the regulations.

Get it sooner rather than later. I had a taxi go through a divorce while he was in possession of a pronghorn and I had to threaten him with small claims court to get it back. The game agency got involved after numerous complaints. They basically set up shop outside his house and laid everyone's antlers out and if you had proof you got your deer back. They pulled his taxidermy license and charged him with theft and corrupt business practices.
Sounds just like the guy who did my first 10 point when I was twelve years old. My parents had it done for me for Christmas. Two and a half years later finally got it back. He did a pretty lousy job on it too compared to work in the past. Claimed he was going through a divorce.

My dad is a firefighter and had to respond when a taxidermy shop burned to the ground. He said elk, deer, you name it just burning in there. Talk about some upset customers.

That sucks I hope you can either get it done or get everything back (including your money) in good shape.

This is the third story that I’ve read of, in the last month or so, that was a multi year ordeal!

I agree with most, I would go there immediately and get it back if its still there. Sucks you already paid for it and I would ask for a refund, even a prorated one. Good taxi's are hard to find, so far I haven't had to wait more that a year. My guy asks for a deposit only and balance due upon completion.

Sounds like his main hustle is getting all of his attention. Hopefully nothing is wrong with it. Get it back ASAP. I’d definitely do a surprise visit. If he knows you’re coming, and hasn’t done anything with it, me might try to do a rush job and mess up anything that he hasn’t already.

Back