300 win mag vs 300prc vs 30 nosler vs 300 RUM

Invest in a limbsaver pad and a suppressor on the 300winmag and it will be like shooting a .22lr 😉 I know by experience and absolutely love both of those add-ons.
A suppressor doesn’t even come close to mitigating recoil like a good brake does. It will obviously lessen the felt blast, which can feel like a greater reduction in recoil but don’t confuse that with recoil reduction.

There is no reason to get anything other than the 300wm, unless you want to push a heavy bullet as fast as possible and are ok with what that means in terms of barrel life, recoil, ease of shooting, and having to reload. With that being said I do use a 300 RUM for my elk rifle but I like pushing heavy bullets fast, case in point the 2 loads I use are a 220gr ELD-X at 3200 and a 230gr hybrid target at 3050. But I also don't expect to get much more than 750-1000 rounds out of a barrel if I am lucky.

If you burn a RUM barrel at 750 rounds, you abused it. mtmuley

Everyone’s definition of “burned out” or abuse is different but in general I disagree. That’s exactly what I’d expect from one.

There is no reason to get anything other than the 300wm, unless you want to push a heavy bullet as fast as possible and are ok with what that means in terms of barrel life, recoil, ease of shooting, and having to reload. With that being said I do use a 300 RUM for my elk rifle but I like pushing heavy bullets fast, case in point the 2 loads I use are a 220gr ELD-X at 3200 and a 230gr hybrid target at 3050. But I also don't expect to get much more than 750-1000 rounds out of a barrel if I am lucky.
Tell me more of the 220 ELD-X load. Powder?

No. It isn't. mtmuley
Agree. I have a .30 Nosler, .28 Nosler and 6.5-300. All of these will outlive me. All of these are “barrel burners”. If you want it to be a range competition gun then I suppose. But that’s not what these calibers are for. When broken in properly, letting it cool between rounds, it’ll outlive me, my kids and their kids. Even if I shot 10 rounds year they will last 100 years. If I shoot 5 rounds a year something is wrong. In all reality let’s start to talk about accuracy loss at 1,000 rounds. If they lose 3/4 MOA then my .30 will be at 1”MOA, my .28 at 1.25MOA and my 6.5-300 at 1.5” MOA..

It's probably an amazing thing how many guys can't haandle rifles like these ands get them anyway.
Too true!
Why my big boomers are 7mm Rem Mag & 7mm WBY Mag.

Although i'll admit to having an itch to build a 7mm Dakota, or 7.21 Lazzeroni Tomahawk or Firebird.
For wildcatting a 7mm-378 Weatherby sounds interesting!

Last edited:
Back