Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

300 win mag vs 300prc vs 30 nosler vs 300 RUM

If you burn a RUM barrel at 750 rounds, you abused it. mtmuley
MtMuley, there is still life left in the barrel i will agree with you but at that round count the groups have started to open up past what I want especially with a really thin profiled carbon wrapped barrel it heats up fast based upon the first carbon barrel I had installed on it, its on its second currently. The rifle with a manners thumbhole adjustable stock and 30" barrel weights less than 10.5 lbs with a 5-25 atacr mounted.

MtMuley, there is still life left in the barrel i will agree with you but at that round count the groups have started to open up past what I want especially with a really thin profiled carbon wrapped barrel it heats up fast based upon the first carbon barrel I had installed on it, its on its second currently. The rifle with a manners thumbhole adjustable stock and 30" barrel weights less than 10.5 lbs with a 5-25 atacr mounted.
Why worry? It’s a hunting gun not competition. Anything less than 2” MOA is a dead elk. All mine are less than 7lbs. Put a round from any of these three and go pick up your elk. Heavy loads are not going to burn out barrel on regular use for hunting. If your worried shoot a 270 or 06.

I didn't keep a round count. Wish I would have. My best guess is I am between 1200-1500 rounds. I never, ever got it hot. Kept cleaning to a minimum. My rifle was ridiculously accurate with the factory barrel. It will still stack 200 grain Accubonds under an inch. I wanted to upgrade and refresh it, so what the heck. I can't wait to see the throat in the factory barrel when the Smith pulls it off. mtmuley

Why worry? It’s a hunting gun not competition. Anything less than 2” MOA is a dead elk. All mine are less than 7lbs. Put a round from any of these three and go pick up your elk. Heavy loads are not going to burn out barrel on regular use for hunting. If your worried shoot a 270 or 06.

If one is satisfied with sufficient performance to kill an elk we'd all be running around the mountains with cheap janky rifles. The guy paid good money for custom rifle in a high performance cartridge. Once one sees what it's capable of with a fresh tube it's hard to be satisfied about groups opening up or velocities dropping or being less consistent. Why bother shooting an expensive high recoil cartridge if it's not accurate?

If one is satisfied with sufficient performance to kill an elk we'd all be running around the mountains with cheap janky rifles. The guy paid good money for custom rifle in a high performance cartridge. Once one sees what it's capable of with a fresh tube it's hard to be satisfied about groups opening up or velocities dropping or being less consistent. Why bother shooting an expensive high recoil cartridge if it's not accurate?
I agree, but my point is EVEN if one of the hot rod cartridges starts to wear a barrel out a 1000 rounds, that is forever in a true hunting gun. That's my point. I bought a Nosler Custom M48 in 2015. It has exactly 68 rounds through it ( except whatever Nosler used to break it in). I bought a Browning X Bolt Pro in .28 Nosler in 2018 and it has exactly 112 rounds through it. ( 60 were breaking it in). I bought a Weatherby Backcountry in 6.5-300 this year. It has exactly 47 rounds through it. ( 40 rounds to break it in).

My 300Wm has less than 200 rounds through her, and I bought her in 1997. Killed all kinds of stuff. None of these guns are range guns, they are for a specific purpose.

I agree, but my point is EVEN if one of the hot rod cartridges starts to wear a barrel out a 1000 rounds, that is forever in a true hunting gun. That's my point. I bought a Nosler Custom M48 in 2015. It has exactly 68 rounds through it ( except whatever Nosler used to break it in). I bought a Browning X Bolt Pro in .28 Nosler in 2018 and it has exactly 112 rounds through it. ( 60 were breaking it in). I bought a Weatherby Backcountry in 6.5-300 this year. It has exactly 47 rounds through it. ( 40 rounds to break it in).

My 300Wm has less than 200 rounds through her, and I bought her in 1997. Killed all kinds of stuff. None of these guns are range guns, they are for a specific purpose.

Apologies. I think I mistook your post as telling the guy who's almost through his second barrel that he shouldn't worry barrel life or accuracy on his $7k rifle setup. If you're just referencing why worry about it for the OP making a cartridge decision that makes sense.

Last edited:
300 Rum does everything the others do better than they do. a have all of these calibers but i always use the 300 RUM. the only problem is avalibility.

I have a RUM. Kills in the front and bloodies in the rear. Haven’t shot it suppressed yet but I think that will be the ticket.
Haven't looked to deep on this post, so my take on suppressors is forget them in the 30 mag upwards, a little porting bit on the front and a blocker for your ears, save a lot of money. All this comes from experience after a lot of hunting and some trail work.

You have to be able to seat large for caliber bullets these days. You have to. Unless you don't. mtmuley

You have to be able to seat large for caliber bullets these days. You have to. Unless you don't. mtmuley
No one ever did anything good with boring old partitions, don’t let them fool you.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back