Yeti GOBOX Collection

300 win mag vs 300prc vs 30 nosler vs 300 RUM

Badger_55

Curious what people have to say if they had a choice between the above 4 cartridges for a elk rifle what would you choose and why?
I'm considering upgrading my xbolt HCLR 300 win mag. I have interest in a Fierce build or m48 nosler mountain carbon LR but I'm in the early stages. Haven't even priced out my xbolt to sell yet stages.
Just curious what people on here have to say.

Do you reload?

If not then 300WinMag. If you do then 300WinMag.

Let's be honest if you're not reloading then you have no need for a long range cartridge and a 3006 is really what you want.
I do reload

I like my .300 PRC, but also building a RUM because reasons.

But why not a .300 WSM, .300 Weatherby or .30x.378 Weatherby?
I have a 300wsm. I don't like the powder volume/waste of a 30-378. Curious about the 300prc and 30 nosler. I've stared at ballistic charts over and over again and then stared at my current reloading set up. Just like hearing what everyone has to say.

I have a 30 Nosler and have been really happy with it. 215 Bergers at 3050fps with N570, could probably get a little more if 215’s were still readily available and I had some to play with. 220 bergers lately @3030.

Although, the one elk I shot with it wasn’t any deader than the ones I’ve killed with a 300wsm and 180 TTSX’s or the one my daughter killed last month with a 7mm-08. But I’m probably almost done with the first barrel because I really like ringing steel way out there with it, and it does that very effectively.

I’ve got experience with all of them. They’re really not that different in ballistic performance. Honestly I’d get whichever you can get with a 1-8” twist, so you can shoot whatever bullet your heart desires. So this probably means the 300 PRC for factory rifles.

If you want the best performance from factory loads then 300 PRC.

If you want the most factory load options then 300 Win Mag. Also very handy when you fly somewhere and TSA steals your ammo, so you can find ammo to buy to salvage your hunt.

300 RUM is great but difficult to load with long heavy projectiles and keep them at magazine length. Very few factory ammo options.

30 Nosler is probably the best case design, but case design doesn’t really matter that much with a hunting rifle (vs a competition rifle, for example). This would be my personal pick, but I exclusively handload. Also very few factory ammo options. A 30 Nosler and 300 PRC are damn near the same thing, just that the SAAMI spec twist rate for the 300 PRC is 1-8” and the 30 Nosler is 1-10” (although some manufacturers do make factory rifles in 1-8”). If Nosler would have made the 30 Nosler with a 1-8” twist then the 300 PRC would have never been created.

So I’m going with 300 PRC. Good factory load options and unlimited options for handloading.

honestly if you use any of the 4 you will put a nice, neat 30 caliber hole in whatever you shoot, what l would look at is long term avalibility of ammo and components.

I have a 300 RUM which I really like, my son has a 300 PRC that he really likes. All good cartridges, but I'd take a look at components for reloading. Hopefully the availability of the Nosler cartridge's brass has improved but that was a downside early on. Remington didn't seem to support the RUM very well as far as brass availability went. Hornady seems to support their cartridges pretty well on the brass side. Of course there are other brass manufacturers other than the original cartridge manufacturer. I'd look close at the 300 PRC, even though I doubt I'll ever get rid of my RUM.

I reload a 300 H & H Magnum. My favorite moose load is 200gr Barnes LRX with 4831.
My favorite sheep/caribou load is 180 gr Barnes TTSX with 4831.

The reason I went with the old H & H is because my hunting mentor had been using one
in Alaska since the 1970s and it is nice to have the same caliber rifle on backcountry hunts.

I reload a 300 H & H Magnum. My favorite moose load is 200gr Barnes LRX with 4831.

The reason I went with the old H & H is because my hunting mentor had been using one
in Alaska since the 1970s and it is nice to have the same caliber rifle on backcountry hunts.
I have a 300 RUM that shoots the Barnes 200 gr LRX well. I have only shot one animal with it but that was a moose and he dropped in his tracks with a quartering to chest shot.

I'm hoping to cut down to a 24" barrel to help with a lighter carry so I don't really want to lose my velocity. My current scoped weight is at 10.44lbs w/ a 26" barrell (1/10" twist) I've always been interested in the 30 Nosler but love the 300win. Last time I talked with Fierce they really tried to push the 300PRC on me

If you don't already have components, compare the price to purchase material (if you can find any) to load 100 rounds. That made for an easy 300WM decision for my buddy.

This is something I don't know but what is the anticipated case life on each of these? I know there's likely some variables that can change case life but are they comparable?

Last edited:
This is something I don't know but what is the anticipated case life on each of these? I know there's likely some variables that can change case life but are they comparable?
This will be dependent on how hard you’re pushing your handloads. If you’re shooting over max charges and seeing ejector marks then the primer pocket will likely fail in 5 loads or less. If your loads are more reasonable then all will get more than 10 loads per case, especially if you’re annealing your brass every time.

I'd stay .300 Winchester if the rifle is primarily for hunting. The gains from the PRC or Nosler are minimal. You will get the most velocity from the RUM. The PRC and Nosler guys will point out the seating longer bullets arguement. I looked at all of those angles before deciding to just rebarrel my RUM. 22 years of hunting it, and haven't found any disadvantages yet. mtmuley

300 H&H is an excellent cartridge. Very efficient and loves heavy projectiles.

It gets no respect because those sloping shoulders just aren’t sexy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back