Caribou Gear

30/30 question

elkfarmer

Well, i have been thinking of getting a 30/30 lever action for deer hunting. When I grew up my dad had a winchester 30/30 that I shot 1 deer with. When he died my brother got that gun.

Anyways, so lately I have been wanting one. After talking to my brother he has sent my dads gun into winchester to fix 3 times and it still isn't right. Anyone else have any problems firing thiers?

I am stuck at 3 choices. The winchester, the henry or the marlin. Anybody have any of these and how would you rank them as far as durabilty, accuracy ect. ect....

Thanks

In my opinion, Marlin has been head and shoulders above everyone else in the lever action game for a long time. I've got to mess around with quite a few, and every single one has been well built and a good shooter. I've heard the brand new ones have been kind of hit or miss, but I'd try to get a seventies or eighties model without a crossbolt safety.

One of my favorite rifles is a 1968 Marlin badged as a Glenfield 30A with a birch stock, chambered in .30 WCF. The thing is really compact and balances wonderfully. Puts $10 a box 170 grain cup and cores into 2 inch groups with the original buckhorns as long as I do my part. I think I paid $225 for it five or six years ago.

I have several Marlins, but Remington bought them out a couple yrs ago and stay clear of the new ones for now. Look for one that has the JM stamp on the barrell & not the REP. I have a 2 30-30's, a 338ME, & a 357. I still hunt Whitetails with my 30-30 & my son is going to start hunting Whitetails as well this yr with the 357. Good luck and have fun.

Have had my 30-30 Win for going on 49 years and have never had an issue with it. Have loaned it out to friends for their sons to use on first hunts also. As far as durability I give it an A+ and as to accuracy, that depends on whose hand it is in.

I really think it depends upon which year mfg you get with the model 94. For a rifle that was made for over a hundred years there are some periods where manufactures was not as good as others. I have never had a problem with a 94 but having said that I haven't had a problem with the Marlin 336 model either and if I could only have one based on performance it would be the Marlin. The Marlins for the most part are clearly tighter.

I have a Marlin in .444 (lever action) and I have had very good luck with it. Got it 10 years ago, I have also heard that the newer ones are not the same. Look for a good used one, there are alot of 30-30's out there.

Unless you get a pre-64 Win 94 or at least one made before about 1975, go with the Marlin, Has anyone checked out the new Mossberg - I think it the model is 464?
I have 2 Mod 94s and they are handy. I just don;t like the new ones, especially the angle-eject version.

Shot a Marlin in .45 for years in Cowboy Action Shooting, and never had a problem with it. Had a .444 that was a great gun for hunting elk in heavy timber, but a buddy of mine moved to Kodiak last year and I gave it to him. Figured he might have more need of it up there than I do. Both of them were older guns, so I can't speak to what the new ones are like. Have some old .22 lever actions that I grew up shooting gophers with and they are great guns as well. Hard to beat Marlin for a lever action.

Winchester 94s are nice guns--particularly the the pre-64s. Since the pre 64s are top eject they're difficult to scope. Winchester did have some bad years. The newer 94s are good quality guns and are pretty much trouble free. Marlin has always made a good gun and I haven't seen or heard of any problems with the new ones. Buy the one that looks and feels the best to you.

I have a 30/30 winchester circa 1970 never had a problem - also marlin 44 and 45/70 no problems with them either. The 45/70 is really sweet both for deer and elk.

Have had a 336 since high school. Sits in the safe these days but I did get some new Hornady tipped ammo (Leverevolution) for it so I'll be taking it for a spin soon.

Have had a 336 since high school. Sits in the safe these days but I did get some new Hornady tipped ammo (Leverevolution) for it so I'll be taking it for a spin soon.

Everything I've heard is the Leverevolution stuff shoots good in the ballard rifling, and poorly in the micro groove barrels. My ballard .444 loves them, and my microgroove .30-30 hates them.

I don't mind the roundnose accuracy. We'll see.

The numbers are really good on it though, and the price is right. You can tell the difference between it and cheap stuff just by pulling the trigger, it's loaded hot. I think in my .30-30 the 160 evolution stuff was going like 350-400 fps more than the 170 blue box specials.

It's impressive ammo, but I shoot all my lever actions open sighted. My accuracy runs out long before the ballistics do, so it's wasted in my guns.

I've owned and hunted with both the 94 and the 336. Don't have either one anymore, and for my own reasons.

The 94 is hard to scope, and that leaf sight has always had a poorly made elevation spring. Windage adjustments take a hammer and a very delicate touch. The only option you have is a barrel ring front sling swivel. Makes it hang very low, and few slings are going to be comfortable.

The 336 is heavy for caliber and as a carbine. That cross-bolt saftey is going to cause you a "CLANK" eventually when you try to take a shot and least want it to, sooner or later. It scopes easily, has a better sling swivel position.

My fault with both is that the lever ring with both is just too small. I don't have large hands, but I still cannot get a warm-gloved hand into either. It's a couple of fingers and the rest are hanging outside the lever.

The 30/30 is certainly a clean killer, within it's range, and I'd use one again if it were the only option I had available at the time. I just think there would probably be some more versitle options available for you.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
They are very capable unscoped truck rifles. I have taken mine on family vacations in lieu of a handgun.

A clean killer within it's range says it all. Good point to bring up.

I've owned and hunted with both the 94 and the 336. Don't have either one anymore, and for my own reasons.

The 94 is hard to scope, and that leaf sight has always had a poorly made elevation spring. Windage adjustments take a hammer and a very delicate touch. The only option you have is a barrel ring front sling swivel. Makes it hang very low, and few slings are going to be comfortable.

The 336 is heavy for caliber and as a carbine. That cross-bolt saftey is going to cause you a "CLANK" eventually when you try to take a shot and least want it to, sooner or later. It scopes easily, has a better sling swivel position.

My fault with both is that the lever ring with both is just too small. I don't have large hands, but I still cannot get a warm-gloved hand into either. It's a couple of fingers and the rest are hanging outside the lever.

The 30/30 is certainly a clean killer, within it's range, and I'd use one again if it were the only option I had available at the time. I just think there would probably be some more versitle options available for you.

Just my $0.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back