30-30 levergun in the West?

10 yards with a .338....does that count as getting in close?:)

IMG_0648_1_1.JPG

Show off :D

I LOVE my Marlin 336 RC chambered in 30/30Win and grew up with one in my hands. Just recently I acquired one that a dear friend left me when he passed. I even carried it on a dark timber elk hunt this last weekend. It is a great little deer gun for hunting brushy creek bottoms as this recent doe learned.

Attachments

• Wayne's rifle doe.jpg
    Wayne's rifle doe.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 541
The 30/30 has had a place in the top 10 selling cartridges for over a century and occupying the 1-4 spot many many times. It has taken a lot of game!

The limits it possesses may be more that of the hunter and their ability to stalk close than a failure of the cartridge itself.

It's not the flat shooting burners most of us hunt with today but it shouldn't be written off. Big woods hunters know very well it's useful attributes but hunters across the country have put a lot of meat on their tables with the 30/30.

10 yards with a .338....does that count as getting in close?:)

IMG_0648_1_1.JPG

Haha yes I believe that counts as close. I'm not saying it can't be done with other rifles, but thats what the lever guns excel at, and a guy can never have too many guns right?

John Wayne visited me in my sleep. He said it would be un-American to not have a lever gun.

Last edited:
Adding my first lever gun to my collection finally! A good pal is selling me his unfired Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45-70. Planning on hanging it up with all of my critters currently displayed in the house. NO plans to ever shoot it. That will be a first for me.

Nothing wrong with a 30-30. Just means you have to hunt instead of shoot. As with all weapons, practice makes perfect. Get it, shoot it and learn it well. You'll have a great rifle with a ton of class.
I totally agree with this. You can use this gun to test your skills. Knowing the limits for the
30-30 and hunting within these limits you can take an animal you can really be proud of.

I say buy it! Lever guns are just flat out fun. My Dad hunts with the .357 and the .35 rem here in Indiana and does quite well. (The .35 is a beast)
I have 2 of the 30/30's in the safe. . one I bought and one was my Grandfathers and I'll never part with either whether I shoot them or not. :)

My 30-30 won out over my 300 WSM for a long weekend of bear hunting this fall. In heavy timber, especially standing burnt lodge pole even at x3 looking through the scope felt like one of those black line eye tests. I have it under my seat most of the time for short work. It packs easy, has no recoil and is fun to shoot. I would never put a scope on it and it's the first gun I grab when I have to see what's making the critters go nuts at night. I think they are under rated as an excellent utility gun.

You should take it, and have some fun with it, even if you don't hunt. If it is JM stamped it will be more desirable in the long run compared to post acquisition "Remlins" (if it matters to you).

I'd say with 30-30 with LEVERevolution ammo is good to 250 yds. And if you want a little more than the 30-30 normally gets, have it re-chambered to 30-30 AI and also gain 50 or more effective yards (if you can reload that is). And you can still shoot regular 30-30 ammo also. The 30-30 AI is arguably the best Ackley Improved round of them all (that is, it gives the greatest percentage increase). In these days of Big Guns and Magnums I think we sometimes forget the 30-30 is a pretty decent hammer too.

Last edited:
My Marlin 336 is the first rifle I ever owned. My wife got it for me for our first anniversary. The first year I started hunting. I've taken several whitetail with it. I'm considering taking it for opening weekend this weekend.

I've shot the 30-30. It's accurate. I mounted a 4x Burris on it.

I've scratched the itch, but have found I like my rifles to have a bolt on the side, along with flatter trajectory.

One used Marlin 30-30 will be hitting the classifieds soon.

My youngest son thinks that lever guns are at the top of the gun pyramid. He constantly air cocks the gun and sometimes air rollcocks it. Truth is when no one is around watching, I do the same thing with my real one. Not loaded though! That is why lever guns are fun and with practice and the right ammo and conditions they are still deadly on most north american game animals.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back