MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

30-30 levergun in the West?

I'll state straight up I am Not a 30/30 diehard fan. Now, that said, Yes, I have killed a couple of deer with one. DRT as fast as any other weapon I've used. My youngest brother has used his to dump some pretty heavy porkies that I'd have second thought.

Inside it's range limitation it's a Killer. Why?

The 30/30 has been blessed to have had bullets specifically and uniquely designed to perform within its ballistic parameters and they WORK.

When I was assistant guiding, I was called upon to blood trail far, far, far fewer deer shot with the 30/30 than I was a 30/06, 270, or a 7mmMag. 100,000,000,000+ dead critters can't be wrong!

Now, that said again, I'm happy as 7734 to pull off my closer range antics with my Ruger 96 lever action. (I had to track even fewer when a client used a 44M)

I say buy it! Lever guns are just flat out fun. My Dad hunts with the .357 and the .35 rem here in Indiana and does quite well. (The .35 is a beast)
I have 2 of the 30/30's in the safe. . one I bought and one was my Grandfathers and I'll never part with either whether I shoot them or not. :)

Although I have not used a lever gun for deer here in IN, the 30/30 is one of my options to consider should IN decide to allow more freedom using rifle calibers for whitetail. Most shots around here are less than 150 yards.

Nice critters Hulburt!

I've got a Winchester 1894 in 30/30, and a '94 in .45 Colt. I've not hunted a lot with the 30/30 (currently not legal for Indiana deer), but have with the .45 and they are both a pleasure to shoot and pack.

I probably wouldn't take the 30/30 out west for most situations though, except as a backup, as my .06 is much better suited for most types of western hunting..

It's a Marlin model 30 AS.

PM replied, ERSS.

Justin, if ERSS and I don't work out a deal, you're second in line.

It won't be stupid or stupider cheap, but it'll be better than fair.

Nice critters Hulburt!

I've got a Winchester 1894 in 30/30, and a '94 in .45 Colt. I've not hunted a lot with the 30/30 (currently not legal for Indiana deer), but have with the .45 and they are both a pleasure to shoot and pack.

I probably wouldn't take the 30/30 out west for most situations though, except as a backup, as my .06 is much better suited for most types of western hunting..

Thanks. I love the 30-30 for conditions where shots are under 200 yards but it defiantly has its limits. I'm way out west and the longest shot I've taken on a bear is 100 yards.

Those pics are from 3 years I packed that gun exclusively.

Though I dont use it anymore, my first rifle was a 94 30-30... killed my first bear with it when i was 10

Killed about 20 more bears with it (all close range, hound hunting bears)... killed 3 deer with it... Have elk hunted in thick timber days several times but never got the chance to shoot one with it, but would still like to...

Depends on your hunting style really... As Buzz and others pointed out, you dont have to carry a lever gun to shoot stuff close!!

Funny though, we took a "LOT" of guys out for bears and I watched COUNTLESS dudes wound AND miss bears at 20-40 feet in trees with scoped magnums... lmao

My old 30-30 '94 is always in my truck.
I've taken 2 bulls,at least 24 deer,1 bear and dozens of pigs with it.
It's the ranch/utility gun now and is there for cats and such

Back