.30-06 Rifle Recommendations

Excellent choice in caliber.

I'll be the odd man out.

I'd go Ruger American stainless, slap a Leupold VX2 CDS in Talleys, and spend the rest of the budget toward Swaro binos.

weweber3 = Yes - I have a 338 win mag as well. Older style paddle stock - Lite, but great to carry!
That's a good price! As Bambi points out, truck beaters ( i am hard on stuff, take a lickin and keep on tickin baby & ive never touched my scope after 0'd, or have I cleaned the bore - )
but world beaters!
My opinion, great action - point and shoot!
$500 on a scope and yer set! Proabably find a good one for 3, and get yourself a nice hard case and a box of Barnse TX or Nosler Partitions! then yer set.
Good luck - lots of good choices.

M70 featherlight in a pre '64. The only 30 not 6 I would ever own. Cycle and shoot one and you'll quickly see that all the rifles listed here are just mass produced junk. :) I own/have many of the options listed. M70s for stroking and relability, m700 for point and click, Kimbers for packing, Rugers for truck beaters, and all the rest to brag to your friends about how awesome those foreign rifes are. You couldn't give me a Salvage... YMMV

This. Except I'm putting Ruger bolts in w/ Savages.

M70 featherlight in a pre '64. The only 30 not 6 I would ever own. Cycle and shoot one and you'll quickly see that all the rifles listed here are just mass produced junk. :) I own/have many of the options listed. M70s for stroking and relability, m700 for point and click, Kimbers for packing, Rugers for truck beaters, and all the rest to brag to your friends about how awesome those foreign rifes are. You couldn't give me a Salvage... YMMV

I'd say that is about right except for the Savage part.

I've owned a few. They've all been great shooting guns and I dig the tang safety.

I kinda hate to admit it, but i've yet to encounter a savage that didnt shoot MOA or significantly better. They are just to clunky, chunky feeling for my liking and i cannot stand the accu trigger.

Price wise, they are pretty good bang for your buck.

The new 700's are pretty much junk, just thriving off of the 700 of old's name. I love my old 700's but you can tell the machine work is shoddy at best just looking at them.

Someone mentioned the Howa Barreled Actions... anyone online pair these with stocks? Or what is a rundown of stocks to pair these with? I have read the Hogue that Howa offers is to flexy... true?

I'm an Ohio guy with asperatons to hunt outside Ohio. Only been at it for 5 years in Ohio. This will be my first non-.22 rifle. Everything in Ohio is shotgun.

There's not a rifle been mentioned wouldn't work just fine. Some are Honda civics some are Cadillacs. While a cadillac is nicer it may not be better. I like nice shotguns and utilitarian rifles, and one reason I like my stainless savage 116 is that when I'm having trouble sighting in I can safely assume it's not the rifle. Every single savage time.

Someone mentioned the Howa Barreled Actions... anyone online pair these with stocks? Or what is a rundown of stocks to pair these with? I have read the Hogue that Howa offers is to flexy... true?

I paired a Howa action (223) in a McMillian swirly that Stocks had in their inventory. I'm not a fan of the Hogue over molded stocks. I like a classic hunter/sorter shape.

If you are intent on spending the whole $1000 on the rifle I'd go w/the Howa. Otherwise I would take the Tikka T3 for $550 - $600 new. Shoots exceedingly well. Adjustable trigger. My complaint with them is if you hand load you will have to load longer than the mag can handle to get the 10-15 thou off the lands. But I still choose that one for elk hunting as I can't beat the accuracy. abt 3/4 moa as far out as you care to shoot.

I paired a Howa action (223) in a McMillian swirly that Stocks had in their inventory. I'm not a fan of the Hogue over molded stocks. I like a classic hunter/sorter shape.

Is that a drop-in you can do yourself or do you need a gunsmith?

For those that recommended the Howa or Howa Barreled Actions... why not a Weatherby Vanguard?

Browning stainless with soft touch stock.Don't know why but I like these rifles. Don't make it in left hand or I would own one myself.

Heavily leaning towards the Weatherby Vanguards - these are Howa rifles essentially. Right?

I like the raised comb as well.

Anyone tell me if Howa is making the WBY-X as well?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back