Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

.30-06 Rifle Recommendations

Browning X-bolt Stainless Stalker. I grew up a Winchester/Mauser guy and once I picked up the Browning have not looked back.

I have a Model 70 extreme weather stainless in 30.06 that is my all around do everything rifle. New they are 1300, but look and you can find a used one cheaper. Nicer than my Monatana Rifle too. Prob my favorite long gun. Rock solid

Sako 75's are superb handling rifles...and the actions are like butta..the one 75 Finnlite and two 85's I've owned now live with my son and son in law...and I miss shooting them. The barrel on the gunbroker naught six is 22 7/8". If it can be won for under a grand it's a deal.

I purchased the Howa Alpine Mountain in 308 two weeks ago. Topped it with a 4.5 x 14 VX3. Out the door at sportsmans with ammon etc, was $1,700.00, Rifle was on sale for $899.00.

Took it out and man can this baby shoot. Its light and weather resistant, This is coming from a guy that has spent the last 15 yrs hunting with a Browning Million in .300 WM.

These other rifles mentioned above are all good choices....howa is the newest addition for me and I am pleased.

Good luck to you!

I purchased the Howa Alpine Mountain in 308 two weeks ago. Topped it with a 4.5 x 14 VX3. Out the door at sportsmans with ammon etc, was $1,700.00, Rifle was on sale for $899.00.

Took it out and man can this baby shoot. Its light and weather resistant, This is coming from a guy that has spent the last 15 yrs hunting with a Browning Million in .300 WM.

These other rifles mentioned above are all good choices....howa is the newest addition for me and I am pleased.

Good luck to you!

Heard great things about those rifles. Lots of guys cant get past the whole made in Japan thing but man can they shoot

A lot of good ones out there, I have several Winchester's, I would say a Tikka T3, but right now I would probably jump on that Sako 75 on gb as well.

I know I'd buy that used 75 over a new remchester..

Tikka would be my second choice.

My experiences with the 75 have been mediocre to say the least. granted they were both in WSM calibers but neither one would shoot worth a dang.

a grey wolf 75 270wsm and a finnlight in 300wsm. Neither impressed me much in the accuracy department. Both of them has so much freebore that i couldn't get anywhere near the rifling, not to mention magazine length restrictions.

Good luck to you!

That's a smokin deal. Id have a hard time walking away from one of those for 899!

Yup. I asked the guy at the counter twice if that price was correct. They had four of them....308, 7mm08, creedmore and I think a 243, I thought long and hard about this purchase. I almost bought the Kimber Montana in 308. Its a bit lighter at 4.7lbs in 308. I just could't pass on the howa for that price. Glad I purchased it. Great little gun. Headed out Elk hunting with it in two weeks.

Probably have this question 100 times.

- $1000 budget for rifle
- I like the idea of synthetic and stainless, but open.

Right now I am leaning towards the Savage 16/116 FCSS.

Thank you.

I have this in a 7mm-08...Weather Warrior. Great gun, very accurate. Don't get on the brand name wagon...Savage has been around for a long time, still good guns.

I have a Kimber Montana and my son shoots a Tikka T3. If I had it to do over again I would buy another Tikka put the leftover $ towards glass. The Tikka easily out shoots the Kimber and Is almost as easy to carry and has been more rugged. I have had several Remington 700's and wouldn't carry another one if it were given to me.

I have a Kimber Montana and my son shoots a Tikka T3. WE have been happy with both rifles but if I were buying again I would buy another T3 over the kimber and use the extra $ for glass. The Tikka easily outshoots the Kimber, is almost as easy to carry and has been more rugged. I have had a couple 700's and wouldn't carry one again if it were given to me.

M70 featherlight in a pre '64. The only 30 not 6 I would ever own. Cycle and shoot one and you'll quickly see that all the rifles listed here are just mass produced junk. :) I own/have many of the options listed. M70s for stroking and relability, m700 for point and click, Kimbers for packing, Rugers for truck beaters, and all the rest to brag to your friends about how awesome those foreign rifes are. You couldn't give me a Salvage... YMMV

I had a pre 64 FW in .30-.06. Might just have been that one, but the poorest shooting rifle I've ever had. But I do agree with some of the newer rifles bordering on junk. Too much plastic these days. mtmuley

Back