Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

.30-06 Rifle Recommendations

Jryoung.

Where and how did you match up the barrel (drop in) to the stock? Website . . . gun smith?

Just day dreaming after weighting my old R 700.....10lbs w/Zeiss scope,Hogue full bed stock.Jeez it is heavy but a tackdriver. Excellent 400 yrd and in gun.
But looking at some lighter options and have a back-up -06.

Always been partial to Weatherby's being from Cen.Cal. and knowing the quality and rep. so a Vanguard could be in future budget even tho it's not quite the same as a Mark V ,lol.
Started looking at Howas/Hogue (no brainer here),Sakos,Rem Mtn and seeing what good used quality rifles go for.
Eye opener.Old Rem guy,I paid $600 for my ADL in 78' & $700for the Zeiss,$200 for Hogue &Timney.

Found some Maple 200 Anv. R 700's for $600(beautiful),Vanguards from $5-1200,Howas around a grand,some very nice Sakos $1200 +and can hardly find any R700 Mtns ,$1200.
Am I dreaming I can find a set -up for around $1200 or less/wo scope and have it weight maybe 8 lbs? Less? Maybe a 24" barrel instead of 22 1/2" for some umpff. I really don't want an ultra light whip.Just lighter smash.

Last edited:
Lots of good options for that price range. If that is your budget, then I would push it up to the max to allow for more leeway. I like Savage real well. I have never owned/seen one that was not a hammer. I would pick a Weather Warrior personally. I have a Rem SPS that shoots well, but I think they feel like cheap crap compared to rems of old. I have read of several issues with expensive Kimbers, also. That Howa seems to be proving out real well from all accounts.

Overall, if your are right-handed, I think that I would pick the Howa. I am left-handed and Howa turned their nose up at me!

Just saw a -06 NIB Howa Hogue M1500 tan/matt blk,7.6lbs. for $360.... Jeez,bunch @ $500.
Not as slick as a Vanguard ,but form and function in the field is most important to me.
I like Hogue stocks too.
I have seen what Randy and others put them thru. What I do with the 700.
Gonna check other Howas in -06,maybe find one around 6-7 lbs to start with. I was hoping for $500-1500max.
Now if I had gotten rid of the extra LO bull tag no problemo...

Your loss. mtmuley

Ditto,drop a Timney, in done deal! :rolleyes:

That's what I did and mine is way before the deal on triggers.Never had any problems before and just switched when I restocked my Rem 700 with a Hogue.
Rem700 Mtns are hard to find and lighter. Another option.

Randy pointed me to the link for Howa and a Howa Hogue w/Zeiss Terra package is 9 3/4 lbs,so close with stripped one and my Conquest 3.5x10x44 R600 scope .

Weatherby does have some lighter Vanguards and Mark V's ,$1200-1800.
Vanguard is looking more likely.

Last edited:
Been reading through this thread & I guess at 43 I’m old school, but to me you can’t go wrong with an American made rifle with a Mauser action & 3 position safety (e.g. Win M70). I do like Remington & I do own one (M700 cdl) chambered in aught six & it’s an absolute tack driver. However I just don’t like the 2 position safety in the hunting filed, the bolt gets repeatedly pulled open in the thick stuff.
Next up, there are numerous benefits to stainless steel & composite stocks, especially in the Wet Cold North & yes I’ve used them an awful lot there. However I do prefer blue steel & walnut (glass bedded in that environment), in my experience they consistently shoot better (subjective, indeed). But back to the action/safety, there are numerous benefits to a Mauser action with a three position safety, especially if you’re hunting the thick stuff. Noting is more reliable or safer IMO.
The .30-06 Spring is a proven killer & as we all know you have the widest choice in bullet weight, selection (aka game options) particularly if you hand load. Great choice.
Optic, my preference is a Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX3. It is very rugged, lightweight, streamlined & more than enough power out to 300 yards. Prior to this power optic I did it for 15 years with a fixed 4x. IMO when going beyond a 2-8 there is just too much movement resulting in poor shot placement (again subjective).
One more bias, I don’t get the obsession with ultra-light weight rifles. While I don’t want a 15 to 20lbs rifle, I do prefer a minimum 10lbs rifle when loaded & with scope. This weight with a lower power scope helps me to be much more steady, equaling accuracy, equaling confidence. Good luck!

If your old school@ 43,I wonder what I am @ 60...lol
I have time to wait for a deal still. I have always seen a Weatherby in my future...

Been reading through this thread & I guess at 43 I’m old school, but to me you can’t go wrong with an American made rifle with a Mauser action & 3 position safety (e.g. Win M70). I do like Remington & I do own one (M700 cdl) chambered in aught six & it’s an absolute tack driver. However I just don’t like the 2 position safety in the hunting filed, the bolt gets repeatedly pulled open in the thick stuff.
Next up, there are numerous benefits to stainless steel & composite stocks, especially in the Wet Cold North & yes I’ve used them an awful lot there. However I do prefer blue steel & walnut (glass bedded in that environment), in my experience they consistently shoot better (subjective, indeed). But back to the action/safety, there are numerous benefits to a Mauser action with a three position safety, especially if you’re hunting the thick stuff. Noting is more reliable or safer IMO.
The .30-06 Spring is a proven killer & as we all know you have the widest choice in bullet weight, selection (aka game options) particularly if you hand load. Great choice.
Optic, my preference is a Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX3. It is very rugged, lightweight, streamlined & more than enough power out to 300 yards. Prior to this power optic I did it for 15 years with a fixed 4x. IMO when going beyond a 2-8 there is just too much movement resulting in poor shot placement (again subjective).
One more bias, I don’t get the obsession with ultra-light weight rifles. While I don’t want a 15 to 20lbs rifle, I do prefer a minimum 10lbs rifle when loaded & with scope. This weight with a lower power scope helps me to be much more steady, equaling accuracy, equaling confidence. Good luck!

Good luck finding a Mod 70 for a $1000.

You can find a Mod 70 if you look for it. I bought a brand new on for 1200.00 this year, Its the extreme weather stainless model in 30.06. Best rifle I own

No doubt, for ~$140 for a Timney, and you have a better trigger than anything factory. It is a no brainer, IMO.

No thanks. There are plenty of other American manufacturers that I can drop a trigger into. Especially since I don't use a rifle very often.

Remmington knew about the trigger issues in 1948 and could have fixed it then. Instead they spent 65 years covering up the issue in an attempt to avoid lawsuits. In my opinion this is more egregious than what DU did to Don Thomas or what Utah does daily. What they did was reckless and actually led to multiple human deaths.

I understand that it is one of the finest mass produced rifles ever if you ignore the fact that the safety is useless, Remmington knew about early on, they refused to fix it for 65 years, and several people have lost their lives because of it. New or used, I'll vote with my dollars and avoid the Remmington 700s. Just like the DU issue it's my personal choice and it may well be my loss, but I'll never know.

I apologize for the rant, back to the original topic.

Click on Fin's link and buy a Howa and let's keep this site up and running.

Back