3 Week season for Mule Deer

My call from FWP. Hunt deer? Yep. Hunt birds? Nope. See wolves? No question of any game killed. Bet others have the same story. mtmuley
Last survey call I got didn't quite go like that. Buts it's been a couple years. I recall them asking unit and if I killed, and what sex. Maybe date I killed or maybe it was dates I was hunting?

Last survey call I got didn't quite go like that. Buts it's been a couple years. I recall them asking unit and if I killed, and what sex. Maybe date I killed or maybe it was dates I was hunting?
Maybe they value the NR take above the rest of us. Whatever the case, believe the numbers if you want. My view from here is different. mtmuley

Maybe they value the NR take above the rest of us. Whatever the case, believe the numbers if you want. My view from here is different. mtmuley
Well if the sentiment is that negative around here and from an fwp bio then that certainly devalues them in my eyes.

I’m curious on their process of gathering that data. Has to be a lot of SWAG going on as they would have to contact every license holder. Which they don’t

I disagree. Season date changes and pick your region/unit should be next before we ever consider going limited draw.
Welcome to Idaho. You have to choose whether you are going buy a tag to hammer all the young WT bucks or hammer all the young Muley bucks.

Without age class restrictions, other changes don't mean much.

This whole discussion becomes a bunch of SCI members drinking bourbon around a fireplace at some level. (Obviously that's what I'm doing right now on a Sunday afternoon....)
B&C started the measurement system to judge the health of the herds. Now that everyone wants a "Boonie" managers have to juggle quality, opportunity, revenue, enforcement, outfitter welfare, depredation, landowner rights, etc. How's all that working out? Essentially, everyone talks about Boonies and then hammers the first forky that walks out.

It sure looks like the Gianforte Commission or your legislators are going to take care of MOGA and the landowners. The rest can GFY.

Just an honest question.

Do any of you think the advancement in archery equipment plays a roll in terrible numbers too? I share your frustration as I feel hunters that come from states with no mule deer want to shoot any mule deer just to say they got one. Now, we have guys launching arrows at deer 100 yards out, when most shouldn’t be. How many deer are these guys wounding and die, plus a deer they kill? I think if there was actually a way to determine that, we’d be floored.

Just an honest question.

Do any of you think the advancement in archery equipment plays a roll in terrible numbers too? I share your frustration as I feel hunters that come from states with no mule deer want to shoot any mule deer just to say they got one. Now, we have guys launching arrows at deer 100 yards out, when most shouldn’t be. How many deer are these guys wounding and die, plus a deer they kill? I think if there was actually a way to determine that, we’d be floored.
Yep. Archery, and rifles for sure. mtmuley

Just an honest question.

Sure it has an affect, but I’ll bet a steak dinner it’s far less than the affects of getting shot at 600 yards in the full rut by general tag holders.

Sure it has an affect, but I’ll bet a steak dinner it’s far less than the affects of getting shot at 600 yards in the full rut by general tag holders.
savey won't win but I hear Wolf Lodge is good. mtmuley

Welcome to Idaho. You have to choose whether you are going buy a tag to hammer all the young WT bucks or hammer all the young Muley bucks.

Without age class restrictions, other changes don't mean much.

This whole discussion becomes a bunch of SCI members drinking bourbon around a fireplace at some level. (Obviously that's what I'm doing right now on a Sunday afternoon....)
B&C started the measurement system to judge the health of the herds. Now that everyone wants a "Boonie" managers have to juggle quality, opportunity, revenue, enforcement, outfitter welfare, depredation, landowner rights, etc. How's all that working out? Essentially, everyone talks about Boonies and then hammers the first forky that walks out.

It sure looks like the Gianforte Commission or your legislators are going to take care of MOGA and the landowners. The rest can GFY.
In 30 years of hunting I have never seen a “Boonie” in MT on the hoof. I’m definitely not saying that should be the focus or objective for herd management but uncontrolled statewide general season rut hunting is definitely the most effective way to kill bucks especially mature bucks. All the other options are a step down. If we can’t agree on that than I think I’m done here. My 30 years experience says it’s time Montana considered a step down.

In 30 years of hunting I have never seen a “Boonie” in MT on the hoof. I’m definitely not saying that should be the focus or objective for herd management but uncontrolled statewide general season rut hunting is definitely the most effective way to kill bucks especially mature bucks. All the other options are a step down. If we can’t agree on that than I think I’m done here. My 30 years experience says it’s time Montana considered a step down.
I was being salty, but agree that any step is a good step. You should probably ignore me when I put on my asshat, like everyone else does.

Does anybody know what the verdict was on units 380/392 mule deer?

I tried to find someone at FWP today who would know but never did get transferred to the right person...

Does anybody know what the verdict was on units 380/392 mule deer?

I tried to find someone at FWP today who would know but never did get transferred to the right person...
I don't recall anything being proposed or changed otherwise from what was proposed in the deer master list for 380 & 392.

Attachments

• deer 380 & 392.png
    deer 380 & 392.png
    186.2 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back