Caribou Gear Tarp

3 Week season for Mule Deer

I don't understand how a thread like this exists and a thread like this one also exists.
Because people aren’t all that smart and don’t understand shifting baselines.

Seems to be the same feelings in both threads. Montana’s shitty management and shitty quality

What am I missing
There's a fair amount of posts in there about better than usual bucks this year, even though there's a general sentiment about poor management. Perhaps last year was just an anomaly? I went through both FB grip and grin pages last night, and imo MT produced more big mule deer last year, at least on those FB pages (again maybe not a good example).

There's a fair amount of posts in there about better than usual bucks this year, even though there's a general sentiment about poor management. Perhaps last year was just an anomaly? I went through both FB grip and grin pages last night, and imo MT produced more big mule deer last year, at least on those FB pages (again maybe not a good example).
What pages are you looking at? The couple I’m on I can’t think of a single mule deer this year that I thought was a big mule deer but maybe I’m not paying good enough attention

781aa751e994839d8d80dd17ec810008.jpg

What kind of window licking response is that. SERIOUSLY?!

LOOKS LIKE BETTER BUCKS ON FACEBOOK MY ****IN GAWD.

View attachment 211399

What kind of window licking response is that. SERIOUSLY?!

LOOKS LIKE BETTER BUCKS ON FACEBOOK MY ****IN GAWD.
Sadly enough, when you have that many people who want to see there grip and grins get hundreds of "likes" and atta boys I think it's becoming more and more of decent sample size. I've said more than once it's anecdotal, but there's hundreds of posts on those pages. Everything from little bucks and does to 190 non typicals. Seems ridiculous, but it's about the only metric we have of seeing what's being killed out there and those FB pages are growing incredibly fast.

Sadly enough, when you have that many people who want to see there grip and grins get hundreds of "likes" and atta boys I think it's becoming more and more of decent sample size. I've said more than once it's anecdotal, there's hundreds of posts on those pages. Everything from little bucks and does to 190 non typicals. Seems ridiculous, but it's about the only metric we have of seeing what's being killed out there and those FB pages are growing incredibly fast.
Never been on FB. You just reinforced my decision as a good one. mtmuley

Sadly enough, when you have that many people who want to see there grip and grins get hundreds of "likes" and atta boys I think it's becoming more and more of decent sample size. I've said more than once it's anecdotal, there's hundreds of posts on those pages. Everything from little bucks and does to 190 non typicals.
What's even more sad is you think that it looks better out there based on that shit.

I hope they go to a 2.5 or 3 week season. They never will because of the 💰. And the whining and crying of the Thanksgiving warriors. Lmfao

#looksgoodonline

What's even more sad is you think that it looks better out there based on that shit.

I hope they go to a 2.5 or 3 week season. They never will because of the 💰. And the whining and crying of the Thanksgiving warriors. Lmfao

#looksgoodonline
If they give out the same amount of tags it won't matter. Same amount of deer will die.

If they move the season out of the rut, that will help more than shortening the season (if they keep a shorter season in the rut).

Last edited:
1 minute of scrolling. Didn't event get to posts made in November.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1644174122794.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644174122794.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 22
  • FB_IMG_1644174116309.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644174116309.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 22
  • FB_IMG_1644174100487.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644174100487.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 19
  • FB_IMG_1644174092020.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644174092020.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 18
  • FB_IMG_1644174064806.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644174064806.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 20
  • FB_IMG_1644174052408.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644174052408.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 20
  • FB_IMG_1644174008364.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644174008364.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 20
  • FB_IMG_1644173991335.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644173991335.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 17
  • FB_IMG_1644173980821.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644173980821.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 20
  • FB_IMG_1644173966675.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644173966675.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 18
  • FB_IMG_1644173943562.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644173943562.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 20
  • FB_IMG_1644173936548.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644173936548.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 21
If they give out the same amount of tags it won't matter. Same amount of deer will die.

If they move the season out of the rut, that will help more than shortening the season.
It will shift some of the slaughter. Guys won’t have the time to cherry pick all the nice up and comers and they won’t be quite as easy to kill. More guys that need to kill a buck will kill young 1-2 year old fork horns and spindly 3 points because there isn’t as much time to be picky and shoot the next step up that is much easier to kill 2 weeks later. Again, this does not fix everything, but it will let some bucks slip through the cracks and get a bit older. MT won’t go limited entry even if it meant preventing extinction, so let’s start with the next best option.

Also, MT is a huge state. There will always be some good bucks in certain places and there are some damn good big buck killers out there. Some areas will have years with good moisture and bumper pea and lentil crops that maximize antler growth and make it seem like all is good. That’s usually associated with private land. Also, what we see on line is usually the best of the best and doesn’t necessarily mean that much.

Some good deer on that page. Also some REALLY good photographers
Yeah always have some of those. I think it was antlerradar that posted in that thread that he saw better quality this year but less deer overall? A couple others seemed to post the same thing. So like I said. I'm not sure if that's an anomaly, a random year that was out of place, or what the deal is. Not sure.

Yeah always have some of those. I think it was antlerradar that posted in that thread that he saw better quality this year but less deer overall? A couple others seemed to post the same thing. So like I said. I'm not sure if that's an anomaly, a random year that was out of place, or what the deal is. Not sure.
I can tell you for sure in my area that the last 15 years is on a decline. This last year may have been an anomaly of bad deer but the general trend is downward. Changing season dates will help slow the decline down some but until Montana gets rid of an over the counter mule deer tag it’s going to continue. Montana’s resident population is growing at to fast of a rate for an over the counter tag be sustainable

Shit. What are we worried about? mtmuley
Well it depends. Do Montanans want a tag every year or do they want 170-180 bucks standing in the ditch every year when they finally draw a tag. I don't think shortening the seasons a couple weeks will have much of an effect. As stated, ND has a short season and it's just more people out in a shorter window. Same success rates as MT. Literally within a couple percentage points almost every year. Moving the season out of the rut or cutting opportunity, imo, is the only thing that will have a big impact on deer quality.

Back