2nd ND Bow Buck

hardscrabble

I had a awesome 2013 season hunting with good friend WSWAT in the west central part of the state. He puts a lot of hard work into his hunting spots and is able to find great bucks every year.

I spent a good part of September hunting and was able to take a nice buck the second weekend on state land. This left me with a bow tag for the reservation.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=256446

The area I was going to hunt this past weekend was fairly new to us for deer hunting. We have taken a few turkeys here but this would be the first year hunting deer. In September I found a smoker mule deer that I put the perfect stalk on but had operator equipment error at 10 yards. To say I was devastated would be an understatement.

This area holds a good number of whitetail so we decided to concentrate on a transition area between beds and an alfalfa field. Trail camera pictures showed a really nice 5x5 coming through on a consistent basis. Brent set up a ground blind the weekend before my arrival.

The plan was to hunt Friday morning looking for the mule deer and spend the evening sitting the ground blind. That morning there were two bucks right by the blind as I was pulling in. After the morning hunt produced the sighting of only a smaller mule deer I decided to pull the camera card and head back to town.

After viewing the pictures we were excited to see a new buck had shown up just after Brent set up the blind. This buck was very unique and had me very excited for the evening hunt. In one weeks time he had only came by twice in the daylight, one evening and he was one of the bucks Friday morning.

I thought there was no way this buck would ever show when I was in the blind. I just never have that kind of luck.

The temperature was -2 when I got settled into the blind at around 4:00 P.M. As shooting light was coming near the only deer that had came by where six doe and a spike. Looking straight out in front of the blind I saw a sight I will never forget. The sight of dark heavy horns coming over the hill right at me. I slowly pulled my hands out of my warmer and grabbed my bow. I drew on him just as he was clearing some brush and he stopped broadside at 20 yards. With the release of the arrow he darted of to the south west.

At this point I was not 100% sure of the shot placement. After talking with Brent I decided to pull out and head back to town and wait for some help with the recovery.

Three hours later we headed into to look for him. There was a trail about 150 yards to the south of the blind and I figured there was a good chance he made it that far. Driving on the trial we found the tracks of a running deer crossing. We found blood with these tracks. Brent walks the tracks and right away spots my buck piled up just before heading into a nasty steep draw. He was only 30 yards off the trail :)

e8c7796a-1993-4697-b6b4-f1a7fd36b137[1].jpg

My camera was on the brink so most of the field photos ended up blurry so the shop pictures will have to tell the story of how unique this buck is.

1a11daa0-44b6-4037-9c96-8945eab26392[1].jpg

RezBuck201313[1].jpg

I can't thank Brent enough for taking me hunting with him. He spends countless hours scouting and setting stands. I feel truly blessed to have such a good friend to hunt with. This buck is just as much his as mine.

That is freaking awesome. I think you just shot the first known sub species of deer called the Moosetail Deer. Known only to live in North Dakota. Congrats what a buck.

Way to go ED!!
Moose Paddle will look awesome in your game room. All your efforts this year paid off.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back