Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

270 win bullet

gman82001

Well its time to start reloading for my 2 daughters and wife and all their 270's. I'm looking for some recommendation's for favorite bullets. We've had really good luck on deer with the 140 accubonds from the winchester supreme line and love them in my 300wm. But since I'm starting from the ground up for 3 seperate rifles I figure I would ask around and see what other people have had luck with. They will be shooting deer and elk so I'm thinking the 140&150 are going to be the best bet. I've got a .223 load with the sierra game king that's amazing does anyone load them in .277 for elk or are they too thin skinned to hold up to an elk bone? Thank guys

I've never shot any Barnes ill do some reading up on them. Have you used them on elk before?

A 130gr TTSX, E-Tip, or GMX will give you a good No Fuss, No Muss all around DRT load. ('course a 140gr is hard to beat, as well). I'd start with either IMR 4831, or RL-19 for powders.

I've ran the gauntlet for the 270 from 90 grain to 150grain. For predators 110 grain hornadays and for deer and elk 140 grain nosler ballistic tips. The trick to loading ballistic tips is not to load them above the midrange and they won't fail. I use 52.5 grains of 4831 hodgdons and it shoots very well out of my gun but every gun has that special load that performs the best. My son cannot get nosler bullets to group as good as Sierras out of his 7mm. If he shoots my 270 bullets in his 270 at 300 yards his gun hits low because we found bullet seating depth is critical and there is about 1/16th of an inch difference between the two guns.

As you stated you like Accubonds so I'd probably investigate those in .277. If you're not into all copper bullets like previously, I also like partitions, interbonds, and standard Hornday Spire points. Don't forget to look for factory seconds.

Thanks guys I load h4831sc in my 7mm and 300wm so planned to begin with it .... I'm hoping to find one bullet that all 3 like then only worry about seating depth but you know how it goes each one will probably prefer different bullets loaded at different depths lol..... I'm going to look at the Barnes for sure I've never shot them but did see some on the shelf at sportsmans today (not sure what exact bullet it was though)

In my 270 win std I'm using Barnes 130 ttsx over RL22 and in my 270 wsm I'm using Barnes 129 LRX over RL17.

I shot a 1400 lb moose last week with a 140 grain accubond out of my 270 awesome performance I'm sold on the accubonds

If it ain't borke...??? Why look for something else when what you have seems to work just fine?]

Been shooting nosler partitions and more recently 140 grain Accubonds for over thirty years thru my 270 Winchester. It is my go to rifle for elk and deer. Put 50 to 54 grains of IMR 4831 under either of those bullets and you are good to go. Take your time and watch for pressure signs as 54 grains is getting to the top end for imr 4831.

Not much help here, least on the reloading side, but when I used Horandy SST's from my .270, even at 130 grain, it was horriable on the meat if you hit bone. I can only suggest not to use those unless your getting after varmits.

I had good success using 140 grain Hornady Interbonds with RL-19. I have some accubonds, but havent started playing with them yet. I'll echo the previous post and try to steer you away from ballistic tips (SST). I used an SST (130 grain/270 Win) once and it blew the whole shoulder out on a whitetail went it exited out the other side. What a waste of meat.

Though this is all in theory, but I think it's a pretty good theory... ;)

Not know how much shooting experience or recoil tolerance your daughters and wife have, I'd suggest a 110gr TSX. The Barnes have been shown to penetrate about like a Partition 1.2 times as heavy. Therefore the 110gr Barnes penetrates like a 130gr Partition, which has killed lots of elk. Similarly, with the lighter bullet you can use a bit faster powder than typical for the 270 and not give up a whole lot of velocity. IME, powder charge weight has a big influence on recoil. For example, Hodgdon's data for 110gr bullet in the 270 shows a max of H4350 as 57gr producing 3267fps. Using Varget's max load of 48.7gr you'll get 3248. The fps difference is negligible, but I'd put money on you'll feel the recoil difference.

If you are uncomfortable with that weight of bullet, a 130gr of good construction has worked for a long time. However, you might want to investigate using the same loading technique I suggested. The classic 130gr load is 60gr of 4831 for about 3000fps. You can get within 100fps of that with other powders using much lower charges.

I do not load for a .270, but if you are looking to kill elk, I would go with the Partition, Accubond or one of the mono-metals. If you like standard bullets, the Hornady Interlock will work fine. I do not personally like the Sierras, as I have had them perform poorly. As was stated, stay away from the Ballistic Tips and SSTs, unless you load them to a slow velocity.

A 140 or 150-grainer would be my choice. Some rifles do not like the larger bullets, however. The 4831 is a great powder for you. My buddy uses that exclusively in his .270 along with Accubonds.

If it ain't borke...??? Why look for something else when what you have seems to work just fine?]

Only reason is weve got to the point now is its time to start reloading rather than shooting up all the factory ammo we've had laying around for years. Like I said I've had great luck with the accubond but just looking for any other ideas I hadn't read up on yet. Plus it beats talking or reading about ebola or Obama so I wanted to talk boolits :)

Thanks for the info fellas Ill start reading up on some of these other bullets too

I'm another big fan of the Accubond. I have not shot them in a .270, but have a good friend who runs 140gr Accubonds out of a .270WSM to some pretty impressive results. My Dad and I shoot them in .30 cal and 8mm. They just flat Kill stuff. I've only ever recovered one, but this is what it looked like. This was a 200gr Accubond in 8mm out of my .325 into a Mule Deer at 135 yards on a weird quartering angle while the deer was bedded. It entered in the just above the shoulders, penetrated through 3 vertabrae and ended up in a big fat chunk just in front of the off hind quarter. Retained weight was about 70% which I found pretty good after penetrating through as much bone as it did.

That recovered bullet looks awsome. Since I don't handload I use facory remington core-lokt ammo in
my 7mm mag and .270 and the few bullets that I have recovered look just like that. They're hard to beat for plain vanilla ammo, and you can find them anywhere.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back