27 Nosler , it's official!

Seems awful hot. mtmuley

Rest assured I slowly worked my up after running Quickload ( with water capacity). Did I hit pressure signs? Yes I did. Didn't even shoot the last two ( powder increments of three rounds) if I saw any sigs on the first one.

3200 FPS with the 150 did not show signs of pressure. I personally know of two other handloaders who also achieved these speeds. RL26 is quite the powder. This was a big step up from my go to of IMR4350 and 150's ( 2850 fps).

Rest assured I slowly worked my up after running Quickload ( with water capacity). Did I hit pressure signs? Yes I did. Didn't even shoot the last two ( powder increments of three rounds) if I saw any sigs on the first one.

3200 FPS with the 150 did not show signs of pressure. I personally know of two other handloaders who also achieved these speeds. RL26 is quite the powder. This was a big step up from my go to of IMR4350 and 150's ( 2850 fps).
What bullet and barrel length? mtmuley

Long heavies have infiltrated the spectrum. Wyatt flourishes and RL26 becomes a unicorn.

Hmm...kinda like the plain old 30-06?
I'd argue it will easily out perform a 30-06, but I get your point. None of these fancy new cartridges are going to do anything miraculously different or better than you could get with a different cartridge that has been around for many years. That said, people like new things, so people buy new toys, companies sell those new toys, and the world goes around.
I think it is kind of cool to see some attention to the tried & true .270 line, it gets looked over quite a bit.

I'd argue it will easily out perform a 30-06, but I get your point. None of these fancy new cartridges are going to do anything miraculously different or better than you could get with a different cartridge that has been around for many years. That said, people like new things, so people buy new toys, companies sell those new toys, and the world goes around.
I think it is kind of cool to see some attention to the tried & true .270 line, it gets looked over quite a bit.

That new sig round with the steel case head is being loaded at 80k. I don't know of any commercial ammo being loaded that hot.

I agree, there is very little new in ballistics. So may older calibers can reach amazing heights with modern projectiles and powders. However, Sig's .277 Fury is a departure and it will be interesting to see what becomes of it. I'd like to see the technology applied to something in .338 or even .30 caliber.

There has been talk of them doing the same case hybrid case design with other calibers. They won't be cross compatible with current chamberings on the market to prevent damage to actions that aren't designed to handle the pressure these cases generate.

Sig’s 277 Fury is definitely interesting! That’s a lot of velocity out of 16” barrel.
I watched a video recently of a guy who had test fired one who claimed it had 9 feet less drop at 1000 yards than the 6.5 Creedmoor. It doesn't take much math to figure out that claim is totally false, at least with the data we have available to us on this new cartridge. So take claims being made as gossip rather than gospel until we have more hard data.

Why not a 29 or 31 Nosler? Come on, think outside the box... I think the rest are covered in the small bores.

John Barsness got to 3077, with 60 grains of Reloder 26 under a 150, with .99 inch accuracy. He did this in a 22-inch barrel and obviously felt that the load was safe enough to publish. How many grains did you use and how long is your barrel? The big issue with the standard .270 is if your particular barrel likes the 150+grain bullets.

Reloder 26 is a real good powder in some cartridges and just OK in others. It is a real good powder in the Creed, for chasing velocity with heavies. I use it with the 147 ELDM, and I pushed it over 2800 before pressure, but settled on 46 grains for 2747 fps with super accuracy. I easily got over 2800 in my .260s, also. I tried it with some 140 Gold Dots and they did not like velocity, so my Reloder 19 load is just as good as the 26 (2740). I am glad that I bought eight pounds of 26, before it got super-popular.

My only problem with the .277”s has been the extreme lack of good bullets. That has been changing in recent years.

What in the world would we do without a new 27 cal cartridge? Extreme lack of bullet's is a problem I don't see in any cartridge. I have a 30-06 and a 308 and you won't believe this but neither will shoot more than on bullet at a time! If I was hunting deer, I wouldn't take either, I'd take a smaller cal rifle that also shoot's one bullet at a time. I have found over the years that in my 308 all I've ever needed is 165gr bullet's, that's all I keep around for it, your idea may vary. In the 30-06 all I keep around is 180gr bullet's. 30-06 is the biggest cartridge I have and if for some reason I don't know I was to go hunting on purpose for dangerous animals, ie bears, I'd simply up to 200 gr bullet's and call it good.

If either the 308 or the 30-06 was all I had, I can assure you that the bullet's I use in both will do a good job on anything I would hunt . Never hunted a moose but I'd also do moose with either and their bullet. Hunting deer, my 243, 25-06, 6.5x55, All handle suitable bullet's with less recoil than the 30's to some degree!

Back